3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 6 Days in the Mastigouche  (Read 358 times)

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
6 Days in the Mastigouche
« on: June 24, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
My story goes along with the two others already posted.
I have known Jerry for a while now and have shot three d, belong to the same hunt club here in Georgia and have traveled to Namibia with he and Luke his son, Just a great friend. Well he has been telling me about bear hunting in Canada and how much fun it is and that my hunting travels would not be complete without  a bear hunt in Canada. Needless to say I was hooked so off I went.
Jerry told me that there was another hunter from Mississippi going to be in camp at the same time and that we should get in contact. I started talking with Brooker aka Tactical Commando and after several phone conversations we became phone friends. Brooker decided that he would drive up since he was taking his nephew Tyler along as observer. Just a side note here, on Saturday afternoon my wife and I were eating dinner outside and I was talking to Brookeron the phone  and she wanted to know who I was talking to..my rely was it's my buddy that I'm going to Canada with. Well how long have you know him, about two weeks, where did you meet, well we haven't. Her reply was as only as a woman can, are you crazy he could be a serial killer, I replied "naw he shoots trad he's good.
We finally got to met at the Montreal airport and by the time me made the three hour drive our friendship was sealed.
Monday started off with Stan coming by our cabin to tell us that Jerry was down with a kidney stone. I decided to forgo that days hunt and get Jerry to the hospital which was and hour away. It became and all day wait but after struggling thru the language barrier we got Jerry back on his feet and we were off again to camp.
Tuesday was my first day to hunt and was uneventful but interesting just the same. This was my first bear hunt and just learning the bear language was exciting. There is constant jaw popping and grunting so just to set and listen is and adventure. The bugs were manageable without the dreaded "Black Flies". the thermocell took care of the other pests.
Wednesday was a move to another bait and for a first timer it was beyond exciting, There was a constant stream of bears, big ones, little ones fat ones skinny ones, when one would leave another would take its place. To see a bear flip a barrel around to get to the food, one bear would,could stick his head in the hole another could only get his arm in..
Altho I was seeing lots of bears, being a first timer I was somewhat intimidated in deciding what was a good bear, Jerry had said that if a bear was past the second ring on the barrel it was a good bear. I had decided that if it was bigger than the barrel that was what I wanted. well the second day ended with no shot or at least a shot that I felt good about.
Thursday was a return to the same bait being that I was seeing lots of bears and after telling my story at dinner the night before I realized that I had passed on several really good bears, oh well life goes on.
The wind was really strong so this sit was slow for the first few hours. As soon as the wind laid you could hear bears walking and talking all around me. A few minutes late a nice bear comes in and spend several minutes around the barrel, standing up to eat off the top, and just doing bear stuff. We the temptation was to great and the first good shot presented itself and 30 yards later I hear the dread death moan. Take my work for it is really freaky the first time you hear it.
That is the story of how my hunt progressed but the other half of the story is just the absolute blast I had in camp. To be surrounded by other bow hunters, so be able to shoot until you get tired of it, the laughing at the stores at dinner, the new friends you make..
I did take some grief from my Titan 2 bow, I believe Tactical Commando referred to it a  "technological wonder". I have it equipped with Dryad ACS longbow limbs, an elevated rest and I shoot a "crawl" so I guess I deserve the "razzing".
I have to give a thank you to Mike Davenport, while we were shooting one afternoon I was complaining about my hats brim, well Mike quickly removes his short brim and and make me a present of it because, I quote "its got MOJO" well Mike I did wear the night I killed my bear and we all decided that the MoJo hat will return as the Camp Hat.
i am sorry but I don't have any pictures but I know Jerry will have plenty when he returns.
Also I will return to "The Mastigouce" next year.
I have to end with this was the best, most fun, laugh till you hurt time I have ever had.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 6 Days in the Mastigouche
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Congrats John, wish I would have been there to celebrate with you and Brooker. way to go!!
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Here you go John

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »
Congratulations.  Bear hunting is a blast and better when you're sharing camp with good companions.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline LoreVa13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Awesome, congrats!!!
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

Black Widow PMA III 64" 64@30
Sarrels Bobbcatt 62" 51@30

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Awesome John!!!'first thing I did when I got home was call and see how everyone else did. Sorry I missed the celebration. Congrats!!!

Thanks for taking one for the team and looking after Jerry. I felt terrible for you missing your first day but it all worked out! The hat has mojo  :)  That's 3 whitetails, 4 turkeys and one beautiful black bear. Congrats again    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Bill Hamrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
John, it was a pleasure to have met you at bear camp and to share with you the harvest of the Mastigouche.

I hope that some day our paths shall cross again and we can share in the stories of our past. Take care
William Hamrick
MSG USArmy Retired

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Congrats on your first bear! I got my first bear in Alberta this year. I will definitely go bear hunting again!

Congrats again,

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©