3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high then nock low??  (Read 171 times)

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock high then nock low??
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
So after shooting today I had several shots that had one arrow stick nock high and the other nock low.  I am pretty sure that it's because I'm not getting a clean release, but would like some opinions as to other causes.  I'm very new to this.  I adjusted my anchor point to the corner of my mouth as well.  Doing that shortened my draw a bit to 28, but resulted in a better reference point and allowed a secondary anchor at my jaw.
Craig
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50@28”
English Walnut and Cocobolo
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high then nock low??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
A nocking point above and below arrow nock on the string may help,this helps keep arrow in the same position on string each shot.

Then adjust up or down from there to get a straight arrow in the target.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
Usually, when that happens to me, especially with a bare shaft, its my release as you suggested.

It could also be a slightly low nock point and the arrow is bouncing off the shelf some of the time.

Since you just changed your anchor, I would bet on the release, though.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I have my top nock crimped on so the arrow nock is an 1/8 inch above level and I tied on a lower nock point as well.  I can get 10 perfect arrows then 2 or 3 that hit funky.  I just tried a tab instead of the glove and felt like I got a cleaner release without the high/low issue.
Craig
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
1/8" sounds a bit low. I usually need to go 3/8" to 5/8" above level on my bows - 3/8" if I shoot split finger (which I do with my one D-type longbow and 5/8" (approx) for 3 under on my other bows. I'm measuring to the top of the arrow nock, or bottom of the top nocking point, in case we are measuring differently.

The fact that you can get 10 perfect arrows makes it sound like a release issue, but you might try jacking it up 1/4 " and see if it changes things.

You will have to loosen that crimped on nock point, but you may be able to "screw" the tied on nock up the serving.

I'm interested to see how this works out. And, I'm curious to hear how many others nock that low.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Can also be inconsistent finger pressure on the string i.e. more index on one shot then more middle on the next. Don't ask why I know   :rolleyes:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
1/8" sounds a bit low. I usually need to go 3/8" to 5/8" above level on my bows - 3/8" if I shoot split finger (which I do with my one D-type longbow and 5/8" (approx) for 3 under on my other bows. I'm measuring to the top of the arrow nock, or bottom of the top nocking point, in case we are measuring differently.

The fact that you can get 10 perfect arrows makes it sound like a release issue, but you might try jacking it up 1/4 " and see if it changes things.

You will have to loosen that crimped on nock point, but you may be able to "screw" the tied on nock up the serving.

I'm interested to see how this works out. And, I'm curious to hear how many others nock that low.
X2

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I will move the nock up and give it a try, I can easily tie on a new lower nock after I get the top one dialed in.  Gonna go do some indoor shooting tomorrow cause the friggin wind won't quit blowing.
Craig
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Nocking on top of your crimped on nock should be just about right.
1/8 inch is a bit low. Might work if your form is perfect, but likely to bounce the arrow off the shelf when it isn't.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
He means the bottom of the arrow is 1/8" above level,not the top nocking point.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
Jim...Actually, that very thing is a point to make certain of cause I have met several that really didn't know the mechanics of the nock point location.  Whatever the thickness of your nock, your nock point (on the string) has to be AT LEAST THAT above level just to keep the arrow at level, and usually higher than that is needed for good results.

Having two nock sets (upper and lower) really helps keep the arrow from sliding along the string when it is under pressure at the string angle presented at full draw, especially for longer draw lengths and shorter bows.

Having unequal or changing pressure with the fingers (pulling more with one than another) could change all of this in an instant as well.
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
JimB: I understand where he is currently nocking -- under the top nock is 1/8-inch above level.  Nocking on top of that crimped on nock will raise the nock point the thickness of the crimped on nock plus the thickness of the arrow nock itself, about 3/8 inches.  Thus, he would be about a half-inch above level.  I suggested it only as a starting point.  Can go up or down from there.  To go down will require moving the crimped on nock, of course.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©