3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The best string follow longbow ?  (Read 434 times)

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
The best string follow longbow ?
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
OK Gang....give me your pick and why you think it's tops on your list of string follow longbows...

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The best string follow longbow ?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
The Northern Mist Shelton is darn nice.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
The Northern Mist Shelton is darn nice.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
X2 on the NM Shelton.  Not a ton of bowyers making string follow bows but after shooting a Shelton I don't know how it could be better.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Best is kind of a "eye of the beholder" type of thing.

if I were looking for one I'd be looking at Eaglewing Archery's frontier.  From what I hear, Steve leaves slim to none left on the table as far as overall performance.

http://www.eaglewingarchery.i8.com/index.html
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
J.D. Berry Northstar is an exceptional bow. I have a Morningstar but I've shot a Northstar.

And let's not forget about the Jack Belcher designed Union Jack Longbow. His son, Jim is building them now. Jim also owns SKY Archery.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
I have string follow ASL bows from Miller, HHA, Two Tracks and Northern Mist. They are all great bows but the Northern Mist Shelton would get the nod if I could only have one, dread the thought.
Rom 1:20

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I LIKE my Eagle Wing  Frontier  A LOT !    Got it as a present and it SHOOTS and handles with gerat ease.   It is a pleasure to shoot and much faster than anticipated !  P{leasure to deal with Eagle WIng also !
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Hit the button before the reason for the NM Shelton choice...

Steve's overall workmanship is as good as it gets and everyone of his longbows and especially the Sheltons that I have used tuned in and were hitting where I was pointing within minutes. The Shelton does have a bit more deflex than most string follow bows so has all the string follow advantages in spades (low string tension easy start to a smooth draw, very quiet soft shot). All my ASL string follows shoot thru the chrono within 2 fps of each other (at the same gpp) and the Shelton is actually on top, not that it really matters.
Rom 1:20

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
I have a couple string follow bows, and I would pick the Shelton over a HH Tembo with string follow.  However, both are excellent in looks and performance.  

I've not shot the others mentioned but bet you could not go wrong with the bowyers mentioned.
Lon Scott

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I have a 66" HH Big 5 SF that is THE quietest bow I own. I have a 68" NM Shelton and it is very quiet also. The Shelton's cast is just a bit better but it's also about 5# heavier.

I have modified the handle on the Big 5, added a strip of thick leather to the handle back to make it fit my hand better. It's still a bit small.

Owning both, my nod would go to the Big 5 just because it's so dang quiet. I need a grip that's about 2 1/4" deep and 1" wide. I like the straight grips.

You honestly can't go wrong with either.

I wish I had a JD Berry to compare them with.  :cool:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Another nod for the JD Berry Northstar.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
I should also note that both of my bows were acquired used. If made new for me, they'd fit me better and I could give a better opinion.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
Shrew Hill

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
As "Ric O'Shay" said earlier,the Jim Belcher made "Union Jack" is outstanding. The J.D. Berry string follow bows are also quite nice. With that said, choosing the best string follow bow is a very personal decision.   :archer2:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
David Miller

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mike Taylor2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
You guys need to try a 7 Lakes Archery, Carolina Night.  Very narrow limbs, deep core, the string follow model shoots the same spine as my regular Carolina Night.  The SF model doesn't place the same initial stress when drawing on my poor shoulder.  And best of all I'm more accurate with the SF model. I've also done quite a few SF blanks from 7 Lakes they are easy to complete and shoot great.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Yep. In my typing rush I forgot all about my Carolina Night. Sorry Mike.

If this tells you anything, it's on the home page of this website (Top photo) - I carried it as my go-to hog bow at Wild Things.

Osage riser.

http://www.huntwildthings.com/

(maybe this is my brain telling me I have too many bows   :eek:   )

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
My Northern Mist Shelton is smooth and deadly accurate.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Some fine bows listed above, haven't seen Two Tracks Echo mentioned. It's very worthy of consideration in this group.
Thom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©