3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Smokeys Deer Lures...time to HANG!!  (Read 462 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Smokeys Deer Lures...time to HANG!!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
I know Gene Wensel wrote an article about this and recommended a certain kind of rope that didn't smell like diesel fumes and was thick. Anyone know what that was??
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Hemp or other natural rope.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I left mine out at a primary scrape since last summer (2013).  It gets hit year round.  Planning to hang another within the next week at different location.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
If anyone is still on the line about trying this I would say go for it.  I put my 5 rope sets up two weeks ago and the two that i put camera's on had numerous bucks and does hitting them.  I did mine a little different.  I zip tied the rope along a limb then just let the end of the rope hang down 6" from the limb tip.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
Check out this photo from Snapbucket:  http://pbckt.com/pa.J5iU9F

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Where are you all getting your natural hemp rope from?  Also what size you all using.  Last year I hunt several stands of 1/4 and it worked out ok but I think a thinker 1" might give the bucks more to rub on.
T ZZZZ

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
1/2" manila rope from home depot for me.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
Army jeep surplus supply has 1" hemp they used to wrAp around willys bumpers     Try Kaiser. Or goggle vintage willys jeep Parts
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Joey that is a great buck.  I'm in Illinois and have not gotten a pic of a buck that big in 3 or 4 years.  Good luck with him! Hope to see a picture with you and him together!

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Smokeys lures are the best, I have had great results with mock scrapes. Just received my order this week.   :thumbsup:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
Funny I seen this thread, my buddy who has a deer farm told me last night. His deer have just started(bucks) really going crazy with there pre orbitals. I was over there last night and seen it for myself. They was really working over hanging branches pretty hard all evening. Also his first buck just came out of velvet. The one that came up and was being very aggressive, I was hand wrestling him. His velvet was thinning and was not nearly as hot. Meaning loosing blood supply is nearly cut off. And just before they start to peel they with get like a oily sweaty look and when that happens or you see that. They are about to shed in the next day or two. Figured you guys may find it interesting.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
We don't use ropes or Smokeys, nothing against them just don't need it. Our bucks have been hitting the overhanging branches all summer a little but in the last 3 weeks or so it has really picked up.

Dosent take much sent if you do want to use it and don't be afraid to try others it all works ex specially right now right before and after they go hard horned.our bucks in this area will start shedding soon and most will be in the first 10 days of September since we have been keeping records 8 years ago a few early ones and some after that but not many.

Don't be surprised if a buck you've been watching all summer just up and dissapears for a few weeks or a month after they go hard horned. Buck sightings at mineral licks will become minimal they just don't need it.  If you have does he will be back, he's just running around marking and checking territory and does or living in the corn fields for a bit. The seasons and crops are changing, good luck!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Ks trapper. You are very correct and I will explain why. The bucks do not have the testosterone running through them. The bucks are not juiced up on testosterone. As you have seen the days are getting shorter. When this happens the buck testosterone starts to increase. That helps the start of drying and pealing of velvet and also start to increase sperm in the testicles. All this add up. They stage is set for the beginning of matting season and with the increase in testosterone the buck will no longer tolerate each other. Like tough young men who impose there stature on each other. Same with bucks. Also they already started shedding he summer coats and the fall winter coats is growing, also the fats will be building up. The weather is warm. No bucks being seen. The become recluses. And your trail cam pics will be mostly after dark.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
I am putting mine out this weekend
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm a little late....but had some hang ups...too busy...going to get mine started now as the temps are to drop a bit in a few days....

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©