3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons broadheads  (Read 1170 times)

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons broadheads
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
I have a quick question for you guys that shoot Simmoons broadheads.  I have a set of 5 original interceptors that I picked up for $10 at a yard sale, never sharpened or shot from what I can tell.  I'm going to be hunting with them this fall.  My question is actually about the tree shark though.  I want to try some wood arrows and was thinking the 2" wide tree shark glue ons w would be wicked.  My question is this.  Most trad guys recommend at least a 2:1 length to width ratio and preferably 3:1 to ensure good penetration.  The tree shark is 2.5" long and 2" wide.  Far from a 2:1 ratio.  Have any of you guys had trouble with penetration on these heads?  It looks like the curved blade shape would improve penetration over a straight edged blade with the same dimensions, but I'm curious how much.  Just want some input before I spend $35 on them and glue them up on a nice set of woodies.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons broadheads
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
I killed my first two animals with them last year. One was a hog and one was a deer. My bow is 45@28,but I pull around 29.5. Neither one was a pass through,but the head was sticking out the other side. Mine are screw in,but I think the dimensions are the same. Both of my animals were recovered inside 40 yards.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
They work.   Use enough bow, get them sharp and . . .think about something. . .  imagine the broadhead spinning toward the deer.  At some point in the spin, the blades are aligned vertically.

As such. at nearly any angle of entry on the deer, it will poke a hole and go thru.  

At quite a bit of the spin cycle, those long blades are gonna be more toward horizontal.  At some angles of entry, those blades are gonna hit the deer even before the point and could cause failure or a huge gash in the side of the deer with no real penetration.

I've seen that happen with other wider heads.
ChuckC

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
I was hunting with the land shark for awhile. I personally would not shoot a 2in broadhead because of fletching height. For good broadhead flight your fletching diameter should be greater than your broadheads cutting diameter and those are pretty big feathers. That said if big feathers don't concern you then a 2in cut would certainly be devestating. I just prefer a more streamlined arrow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=211;t=000012

i shot the black and whit pig with a tree shark and the arrown never slowed down!

since the tree sharks are vented that fly VERY good with the same fletching i always use.... 3 5" or 4 4".  a tuned arrow will deliver big broadheads just as good as 3 to 1 heads. they just might take a little more time to get tunned.

shoot the sharks. you'll like'em!!!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Have you thought about trying the Tiger Sharks?  I shoot the screw in ones and they are awsome.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
if you do I search for tree sharks you will find lots of  pics the holes leave.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I use the Interceptors I can get them sharp as a razor and they fly awsome. They leave incredible blood trails. I have some of the tree sharks but I have not hunted with them. They have the same great flight though.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I killed two bucks last yr with Tree Sharks and both times the arrow was sticking in the ground on the other side. Had the camera on wrong setting in this picture and forgot to take a picture of the other. Bow was a Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve 47 lbs. at 29-1/2".

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
I shot 6 wild boar with the tree shark and 5 died with in 40 yards with impressive blood trail,all with exit holes but not pass through.,the 6th was hit on the spine,then she felt along a hill and she was able to run away,unrecovered.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I only shoot tree sharks. I shoot a fifty lb bow with a total arrow weight around 600 grains. (100 gr insert)

They've done great for me on everything. I shot a whitetail buck one through both scapulas and the arrow zipped right through. Last year I shot a 200 lb bear as it came down a tree. The arrow went all the way through the bear lengthwise and exited through the sternum bone.

In short.... They work.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm shooting the 190 gr screw in interceptors this year.  Bow is a 58" Ben Pearson Hunter, 42@28".  I haven't weighed my arrows, and usually don't.  I don't get too caught up in all of that.  As long as they fly good and my broadheads are sharp, knowing the exact weight isn't that important to me, but total weight should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 550 gr.  I robbed a string off of another bow and got them bare shaft tuned a while back, but just got my feathers in yesterday, so they're not fletched yet.  I got two new strings in today, so I'll do a little more bare shaft shooting to make sure everything's still good with this string.  I was just curious about the tree sharks for future reference.  

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
I'll buy those intercepters if you want to sell them.  Haven't shot anything with them but they get wicked sharp
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Forget the 3 to 1 stuff - the theory on paper cannot stand up against the stunning performance of treesharks - Sharks fly - penetrate - and produce huge amounts of blood sign - onto the ground. Fun to sharpen too.  :)
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I have tested the tigershark into cow scapulas, they penetrate as well as a vpa 3 blade. The steel in the simmons heads is as good as it gets, blade edge retention is outstanding.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Anyone speculating on simmons broadheads and how they shoot/penetrate IMHO has not shot too many critters with them.  I shot zwickey and magnus two blades for years... scratch that decades, I now shoot simmons exclusively.  The reason why
1:  They out penetrate any broadhead I have shot. period.
2: they leave a blood trail like you cannot believe
3:  They fly great - same as my field points
4:  they steel is tough and it sharpens easily and holds an edge

I usually shoot the 205 grain screw in and I have no plans on changing.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
They are all good, I tend to favor the Tigersharks myself but I also have used the Treesharks and liked the end result.

There really are almost no bad "trad" style heads available today but Simmons are definitely among the better ones IMO.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
I'm trying out the tiger sharks glue on this season. They just look mean!
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I have killed a few deer with Sharks, and they are great heads. Fly great, makes a nice hole, and leaves an easy to follow blood trail.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©