3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More help for a Newbie  (Read 207 times)

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
More help for a Newbie
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Ok, so I've been tinkering with making up some wood arrows and I'm having a blast.  I bought a test kit from Surewood Shafts, for a hybrid 40 pound longbow and have been tinkering with different lengths, tip weight, and playing with sharpies and a cresting machine.

Now I need help.  My precious wife asked me what I wanted for father's day and our anniversary (8 days apart so she said she would do a combo present!!!!), well I ordered a Maddog Prairie Predator, 50# @ 28", which is my DL.  I talked to Mike about the bow and he was such a big help and a great guy.  At the time we spoke, I was planning on shooting carbon but since I've started playing with wood arrows, I'll be building some for the Predator.

So, I'm going to do another test kit for the Predator but with what spine should I start?

Thanks for any hlep,
Chance

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More help for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Don't take what you're about to read as gospel, I've basically just begun to get serious about woods myself. If it were me though, I wouldn't start any less than 55-60 depending on what point weight you want to shoot. I recently acquired a Hill bow 52@28 (my DL) and have some 55-60's shooting pretty well out of it with 125 grain points. I'm thinking the bow you've ordered is going to be cut closer to center which will require a stiffer shaft and may be a little quicker with the R/D design. All that said, I suspect you'll end up in the 60-65 spine range with 125 grain point. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject will stop by and chime in.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: More help for a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
I've been shooting wood a while, about 50 years.  I'd say bowhuntingrn is on the money.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©