3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting the corn.  (Read 340 times)

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting the corn.
« on: June 28, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Im getting to the age where I need to get out of trees and get into another method of deer hunting. I been thinking of spot and stalk type deer hunting in the corn. There isnt a lot of written advice on this method but I know of archers who have had very good outcomes from stalking into the wind down the corn rows. How does one go back the other way with the wind against your back without getting winded/busted? Ghillie suit or good camo.
Wallydog

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting the corn.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Find yourself the original "Bowhunting October Whitetails"....I believe they go into detail just how to bowhunt through the corn stalks/rows.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
Unless hunting the edge, I only stalk the corn in a good cover wind. I never hunt with the wind to my back. If conditions aren't right, don't hunt it. Also, if you plan on hunting a particular field often, use good scent control. Great way to hunt... good luck.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Except for the early season, most corn is harvested before the rut in Oct/November in my State.  Deer might hide there, but walking thru corn will push them out the sides and ends never to be seen or heard. Corn is noisy when drying and visibility is limited. Gene Wensel's book is out of print and a nice copy is $100. Good book.

Personally, I would hunt the fringe, and look for area they enter or leave the corn, set up a couple ground blinds for different wind directions.

You migh find Camo netting, set up in a "W", "Z" or "C" will give you some flexibiliy. Put the same behind you, so you are not silhouetted.
                                                   I thought about trying black construction netting that is very strong and less likely to flap in the wind when staked. Even spray paint a camo pattern, or use natural foilage. It comes with sleeves for wooden 1"x1"x4' stakes 4-5 ft. long.

Put the stakes in, roll it up into a bundle and carry it to your spot and drive the stakes into the ground so fabric is tight. If you need more natural cover, cut few horizontal cuts to add branches, etc. Whatever you use, clear the ground to reduce noise, set up early so the deer get use to it. The advantage is low cost and portability.   :archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Hunt crosswind

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
I hunted corn fields before anything was written about it. I discovered it accidentally one time when I was cutting through a cornfield on the way to my deer stand. It was very windy and the corn was really rattling and covered up the noise I was making. I almost stepped on a nice buck that was laying in the corn.

After that incident I started stalking the corn on windy days. Through trial and error I found the best way was to sneak cross rows, looking both ways down the rows. I also found that by using binoculars it more than doubled the distance I could discern if it was a deer or a rock laying in the row. When I spotted a deer laying down I would  sneak down the row next to the one the deer was laying in and when I got close enough for a shot, lean into the row, draw and shoot....provided the deer gave me a good angle for the shot.

This picture is from the early 80's

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
I use to do some corn field hunting....cross row and work the field with a cross wind. Just stick your head through into the next row and look before stepping into the row, then go down the line 20-40yds or what ever distance you can see down the rows and work back the other way. I killed a few deer this way.

The main problem anymore is they plant the rows and the stalks so close together that it is hard to navigate through the corn. A windy day works the best. The Wensels had a video out years ago about hunting corn fields, I don't remember the name. But yes it works! And it's exciting!
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
I should add that in long fields of corn I cut across then move down a ways and cut back through again, and so forth until I've thoroughly covered the entire field...of coarse paying attention to wind direction at all times.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Ha Kevin, you slipped in between me with the same instructions...   :archer:

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
Ron, Great minds think alike!    :rolleyes:
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
I have a copy of "bowhunting October whitetails" that you are more than welcome to borrow.  Shoot me a
PM if you're interested and I'll send it to you.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Corn rows are narrower now than they used to be and the GMO hybrids grow lower.  Back over 40 years ago, I was cross wind stalking in corn field.  I thought that I heard something, so took a closer next pass.  In the middle of the field, I definitely heard something out of place, so I went into super slow motion.  It was getting close, a couple of rows ahead and coming in.  When it sounded like it was getting into the next row, I half drew my 50" Browning Cobra, stepped through and there it was not 10 yards away.  The biggest Otis (Toad) Smith I ever saw.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 12:39:00 AM »

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
Agree with a few posters here. . .  use to be really good (we even developed our own ASAT-type camo before there was ASAT camo).  Problem now is corn is very different- the rows are tight and thick. Stalking and making a shot with any cant to the bow is virtually impossible.  However. . .

. . .Some other tips that may still work:
1) Those lone oak trees in the middle of a corn field can be the honey hole as the deer seem to use them as landmarks- all the trails will converge there.  
2) Sit on a 6-8' ladder in the corn fields. It is amazing how this works.  
3) If the farmer will allow you, you can actually cut a few rows and lanes in corn fields.  The deer will use it.  Set up a natural ground blind (or the ladder)- it is golden.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
Some time ago a hunting partner talked me into trying a method that was successful. On a extremely windy day in October we spread out about 40-50 yards along a standing corn field. He entered the corn very slowly, with me entering the corn about 5 minutes after him holding my bow tight to my chest. I would slowly stick my head through a row and look both ways before stepping into that row. After making our way through the corn field we would move down 40-50 yards from where we entered the corn field but I would enter the corn field 5 minutes before my hunting partner. During the 3rd time of this process my hunting partner managed to arrow a decent fork horn buck that was bedded down in the corn. The commotion pushed a mature doe within 10-12 feet of me that I arrowed. Since then I make sure I hunt standing corn on those windy days.

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I have used a corn field to approach a stand that I have in a woods at the far end of a big corn field. The farmer uses a 6 row planter, and usually the row between the 6th and 7th row is wider than the rest for easier walking length wise to approach the stand. In the early season, before the corn dries and the leaves wilt and droop, this helps getting through the corn considerably. I have found this approach keeps my scent from spreading too much during my walk in using this method, rather than passing through the woods or along the edge of the corn field. Of course honor wind direction, but go slow, and you won't make much noise at all on the way in. Just another thought on corn field use while hunting.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
A fellow Iowan, Toad Smith, wrote a book on bowhunting cornfields by stalking thru them. I had the priviledge of meeting Toad when he was doing a seminar on hunting in the corn.  He goes into great detail using grid patterns, wind, snow and many other aspects.  You might be able to still buy the book.  Unfortunately, Toad passed away some years back.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of hunting upwind then working back downwind to the rows I could see coming the other way. Heavy winds will be the key sounds like.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Everyone up here knew about the game standing corn had in it.  Toad had connections with In Fisherman that helped him pursue a career, Toad spent a lot more time off the ground than sneaking around in the corn.  It was more of a middle of the day thing that we did instead of riding all the way back home after a morning hunt. The old corn was full of foxtail, first a herbicide came along that eliminated that.  I noticed that the deer were hanging close to any weed line in the corn, terraces, wet bottom strips and fence lines between standing corn fields.  Now that the rows are tighter, shooting in corn is tougher, I would suggest hanging close to a weedy opening in the corn.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©