3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: in the trees but not in a tree stand  (Read 344 times)

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
in the trees but not in a tree stand
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground but on ocasion i have the urge to get up in the trees.  I dont like tree stands.  I think there to much of a hastle getting in and out on public land.   So i was looking at the tree saddle andthe sneaky sac. Are they effective or are they more like a novelty item?  matt

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: in the trees but not in a tree stand
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I am going to be using the tree sadle for the first time this year for the same reason. I have a friend who has one and really likes it, also check out Jonn Eberharts book it is his main stand he uses for whitetails.
Deer-John.net

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I have a friend that sold all his stands after using the tree sadle for a year. Now he and his wife use it.
You still have to have a way up the tree. and either 4 screw in steps once your there to work around the tree or like my friend make a strap. He took the steps from 5 other strap on steps and put them all on one.
To get up the tree they use the strap on ladder sections that pack well together.
He still shoots a compound I think in the last two years he has taken 12 deer with that combo. His wife got her first deer a 8 pointer last year all this on public property.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Also check out the Treesuit. Been using one for a couple of years and they are comfortable and safe.I use mine with climbing sticks and a strap like the one mentioned above( 4 steps on one strap)

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
Where can i see a tree saddle?

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
After reading this I looked up the tree saddle and found it's a little spendy for my taste. Got a link for the sneaky sac?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline CRO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
Ive used a tree saddle for 2 years and love it.  After you use it a few times you will find out you can get in a lot of places that you cant with stands.  I would definately recommend it.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
I own a Sneaky Sack. It is always in my pack, even when I have my climber. It is not the most
comfortable thing to be in for extended periods,
but it does allow a quick set up, and it can
allow you to alternate between standing on a limb
and resting your legs. I have taken one deer while using it, and can honestly say that it was
due solely to the Sack. There have been several close calls also.

It is easy to get into, but it is physically demanding to use.

It doesn`t get called into action very often, but when it does something really cool often happens.

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
If you guys are looking at these you might also want to check out this one.

http://www.guidosoutdoors.com/

I don't have any experience with any of them but have done some looking around and found this option.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Back several years (30 or so?) would use a "crotch board".  We would take a 2 X 12 and cut a "V" shaped notch on either end, climb up the tree and wedge the board between two branches (putting the branches in the "V" cut-out) so we had a level place to put our feet as we stood waiting.  A pretty simple solution.  Rick

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
I checked out the web thingamajig and its nice!
A little pricey though.
I may have to invest in one of those some day, thanks Joe for the info...  :archer:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »
I used a treesaddle for a year. It was ok I took a deer or two while using it. You could not stand an extended sit. I think the guido - seat would work better because you have more support in the back and seat. Its a very good concept especially if you have to walk in a long distance. Shooting out of it was not that bad once you figured out how to manover.

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
I have used the treesaddle for the past two seasons. Also have a sneaky sack...not nearly as comfortable as the treesaddle. I sit in mine for 5 to 6 hours with no problem. You will need some knee pads. You can shoot 360 around the tree. I have taken several deer using mine and have a buddy that has shot more than me using his. MY stands are collecting dust. You can't go wrong with the treesaddle. Like Arrow-Slinga said just check out John Eberharts book.
Keith Karr

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I have spoke at length with Keith and I think he has me convinced. Where is the best place to buy a treesaddle guys ???

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Because of the price of the others.  I think I will try the Sneaky Sak first.  I like the other designs better its just the price is a deterent.  matt

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
What about a treesuit ? Anyone compared it to the treesaddle or sneaky sak ?

Anyone got any of these that they want to sell ?

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
How many of you have taken deer using either a tree suit, tree saddle or sneaky seat?  I would like to know numbers.
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
You can get them from Deer-John.net or trophylineusa.com
Todd

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Tree suit is awesome, I have a whole shed full of great tree stands that I dont use anymore. by the way, anyone need a treestand?         :D        but you have to get used to it.
Here is a little list of pros&cons:
pros:
superlight
almost no metal to clank
cant fall out of the tree
GREAT cover (low profile silhouette)
comfortable for an all day sit.
wear it to the tree
you can stand up for L-o-o-ng periods of time because a portion of your body weight is supported.
I can easily sleep in mine, oh wait thats bad!

cons:
1)A great deal more thought has to be put into your setup because since your facing the tree, It is hard to switch the bow from one side of the tree to the other. I am right handed,, keep the bow on the left side of the tree, so the right side is tough to shoot on (for me anyway)
2)getting up the tree (not really a con) but it does make you have to think. climbing sticks are the easiest by far. I love em, but even my lone wolfs get heavy,clank and I have damaged a couple of bows by banging them en route . My hunting buddy and I use the same system for getting up when tree sticks arent an option, (i.e. very long walks in or having to go through thick brush)
we use a webbing ladder-aider from "metolius" (they make rock climbing equipment) and strap on ameristeps with two steps or more per strap. I have noticed that any more than 2 steps can cause a little slippage because there is more step against the tree than strap. Actually kind of got the idea from the buddies because they hand made rope ladders using square alum. tubing for the rungs. great system, too clanky for me.
those are the only two CONS I can think of.

here is a little pic of the rope ladder system, just reach up as high as you can hang a step and then hang the ladder on it. climb on up. Tree suits also make great climbing belts so I have it around the tree the whole way up. Once your up to the step, stand on it, hang another step as high as you can, reach dow and detach the ladder and hang it again, repeat if necessary if you have enough steps.
I forgot to mention that my buddy uses two ladders so he doesnt have to reach down and unattach it. I have never had any problems doing it though, but I guess you could drop it. UH-OH!
With the this setup there is a little bit more physical labor involved in getting up the tree, but a lot less while youre carrying it in.

tip:
I wear the extra steps bandolier style on the way up. I thought of one detail about the rope ladder.
thought of later:
 If you have really big feet and wear boots with big  hiking soles it makes it tough to get your feet into the rungs. I hunt mostly out of rubber boots and they fit good.

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
I have shot 5 using my treesaddle in the past two seasons, and my good friend Shane Collier has probably killed at least 10 out of his including a huge P/Y buck last year.
Keith Karr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©