3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver Build Along - St Jude...(photos have been restored-)  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver Build Along - St Jude...(photos have been restored-)
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Wife's hijacking the laptop again. Will post more tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Before lacing the bottom we have to punch the holes for the quiver strap. If looking at the face of the quiver, for a right handed user the strap would need to be on the left side at the bottom. I like to punch four holes and put them just behind the apex of the side's curve.

[

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Now we can lace on the bottom. Line up your pattern. There are 35 holes in the quiver bottom for the base to attach and likewise 35 holes in the base piece. I mention this because I have had too many and too few holes before when "eyeballing" the hole marks exclusively.        :knothead:            :banghead:      

I want to have the body overlap to be on the upper edge when worn on the back. I position the bottom piece accordingly and begin lacing. Just like the overlap of the G we mentioned before, we want to lace with the overlap of the G and go in that direction. When starting the lacing, leave the loops loose for the first five or so holes. This will allow us to tuck the final lacing into the loops for locking them in at the end of the lacing job. I start the lacong along the side of the quiver that will be closest to the wearer's back.

This is the side of the quiver that'll be at the wearer's back.

And the outside with overlap cross-lace showing

Work your way through about 8-10 holes loosely lacing the lace. It's easier to work through the process leaving the three or four loops behind you loose, that way when closing it off you can get your fingers in there to lace easily. Tighten behind you as you go, always leaving the previous three or so loose.

When lacing, pull the lacing tightly. This is where good quality lacing will pay off. I've had lacing break while lacing up the bottom and had to pull it all out and start over with a new piece. That just stinks when it happens.

When you get all holes laced, stick the lead lacing through the loose loops from the beginning. Now take the loose end from the beginning section and thread it through the ending loops. Then work everything tight and lock it down. Trim off the ends.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Marking and punching the holes for the top of the strap.

This strap will be centered. Some archers like theirs closer to the top edge. This will drop the arrows when worn, more like Howard Hill wore his. But if you read Howard's book, he describes a good quiver as having the arrows close to the hunter's ear for ease of access/retrieval. It's really just a personal preference.

[

[

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
Great job Bud!!

Thanks for taking us through the process.

The end results are awesome looking!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
Cutting the strap.

The way I make them and attach them is having one main strap with lace at the bottom for adjustment. After a conversation with David Mitchell and following his advice, I think this is an excellent way to do it. My straps are about 24" long.

I usually punch 8 holes in the strap bottom. Six are at the top.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
With the 6 holes at the top, attach in this manner. Start at the bottom holes with straight up lacing in the inside of the quiver.

Everything together.

Glenn wanted 21" deep. I added a thick piece of leather cut just smaller than the bottom pattern and wedged it into the bottom of the quiver to protect the lacing from sharp broadhead points. This put me right on 21" deep.

That's it.

If there are questions, I'll be glad to offer my answers, but there are many techniques out there. This is just one way one leatherworker does it.

I treated Glenn's quiver leather before assembling. The vegetable tanned leather soaked up everything I put on it. It'll need more. The more you put on it, the darker the leather gets.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Feel free to mention your Mudd Flapp Roy  :)

Excellent idea in my mind!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Wow Bud.  I don't think I bid enough for all the work you put into it!  

This should become a sticky in the how-to section.  :clapper:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
In reality it was about two hours. When I get rolling, I get rolling. I enjoy it.

You'll need to treat it more. It's thirsty.

Headed to the PO in a few minutes.

Thanks again for virtually doubling the St. Jude auction for the quiver(s). You and Tim!!

Offline Azwatasha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »
Mr Bud, that's very nice. I think I will eventually give it a try         :thumbsup:
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
How many sq. ft. does it take or what size leather do you order?
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
You're looking at roughly a 2' x 2' piece. 4 sq ft is needed. That'll leave enough for body, strap, and bottom. It'll take three 72" laces.

The leather definitions are best explained here

http://www.zackwhite.com/Selecting-Leather_ep_44.html  

I use 6/7oz for most all projects, but not exclusively.

As for treatment of the leather, that's also a personal thing. I'll cover how I do it soon.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
I'm gonna have to try that on

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
Outstanding build along. Thank you
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »
Nicely done Bud.  I have a feeling there's going to be quite a few BQ's built by members this summer thanks to you!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I NEVER wear my BQ because it hangs funky off te side of my shoulder , thanks to this I'm gonna adjust that top part of the strap and re adjust z
Thanks bud
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Some of that could be the lack of stiffness in the leather. Top strap position is important, especially to us less limber/flexible. And having a back quiver too stiff will also be a hindrance, and makes for noisy arrows.

Page 75 of Hunting The Hard Way covers a few pointers on a back quiver. I will say that in the book Howard describes a proper position, as mentioned a few posts earlier, as "the nock end of the arrows will be just beside  the right ear or the left, according to whether the archer is right or left handed." If you look at old videos of Howard, or still photos, his quiver hangs quite low on the shoulder. I find this unnatural for me. It may be perfectly fine for others. You just have to figure out what suits you and practice, practice, practice.

Simply put, back quivers aren't for everyone, but if you ever wanted to try one, making your own is not too bad of a task. That way if it's not for you, St. Jude can always use a donation item along about May of every year.   ;)

Offline Azwatasha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Hey Bud, going to paint the olive oil on my quiver tonight when I get home. How long in the sun do You figure? Remember it's around 110 degrees here today.
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©