3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: possibles/shoulder bags?  (Read 6609 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
possibles/shoulder bags?
« on: December 02, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
How many of you all use a possibles bag instead of a daypack when hunting? I am having Jeff at gray Wolf Woolens make me one from the Predator Brown material (Christmas gift from my mom-in-law!). Jeff has made them before and refers to them as a "Man purse"  :rolleyes:  ! I usually carry too much stuff with me to the woods anyway and if I am still hunting on my way into the woods, whatever I need seems to be in the daypack where I can't get to it easily.
I have been using my Lone Wolf stand and sticks pretty much exclusively and hanging my daypack on the stand (on my back), which seems to get caught on everything in the woods  :knothead:  . Just looking for any experiences/thoughts you all have ...pro or con! Hunt safe, hunt hard! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline KyleAllen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: possibles/shoulder bags?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
I recently started carrying one and have been very happy thus far. It is very simple. One nice wide strap (non adjustable) and an average sized pouch with no buckles or anything. It is designe where you can tie the the flap down but i seldom do. I like it because i can slide it around to my back so that it is out of the way but it is very accessable when slid around to the front of to the hip. I found mine in a bundle of world war era military gear in a ladies barn. What a find. Its all in excellent shape.

I like to carry a roll of t.p., a deer call or two, and a good book in mine.

Kyle

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
They have some good wool ones at the army surplus store, never have used one myself!!

Brent

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 11:41:00 PM »
I carry a commercial Mountainsmith messenger bag to work so I know how handy a "man purse" can be.  I have thought about using a shoulder bag for bowhunting but haven't got around to it yet.  Your post just pushed me over the edge and I'm going to give it a try.  Thanks!
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »
I use one from Johnson Woolen Mills but for MZ hunting, don't see it benefiting me bowhunting but hey, whatever works for you, it's all good.
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 12:01:00 AM »
About ten or twelve years ago I purchased a Filson field bag that functions the same as a "possibles bag". This is a high quality bag that has served me well over the years.

Filson Field Bag  

When I'm using my Catquiver the Filson bag stays at home. But when I'm using my Chief side quiver I take the field bag with me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »
I made a "man purse" out of leather.  I keep my camera, rangefinder, puffer bottle windicator, maybe a snack or two, a small folding hunting knife, maybe some parachute cord etc.  inside where I can get my right hand on it quick without having to dig deep into my pockets or take my daypack off.  I wish I had made one years ago.  I will try to find a picture to post.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »
few years ago I made a messenger type bag for hunting...still use it occassionally.  but with the bag, a lakota or side quiver, binos, calls, etc I just get sick of having stuff slung about my neck.  heres a pic of it...

I made it big enough for my thermos of coffee, and the design allows it to be worn on the small of the back (like a fanny pack ) or on the front, or on the hip and have it ride level with teh ground so stuff wont spill out of its open.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by hickstick:
... I just get sick of having stuff slung about my neck.
I've been using a cheapie little camo bag from Walmart that hangs from the shoulder.  My experience is the same - just getting sick of it hanging there - especially when I'm carrying my Torges tree seat which also hangs from my shoulder, and my back quiver.    

I'm going to try a fanny pack, I think, instead.  That would free up the shoulder, and it seems to me that it would ride more securely.  Everytime I need to bend over the possibles bag slides and I have to readjust it.  I do like the small size of it, but wish it would stay put!

Bill
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
German Ridge makes a Possibles Bag Quiver which has a double leather pouch, plus a sort of bowquiver attached to the outside flap. It's reversible for either left or right hand application. 3Rivers has them listed for 119, I believe. Not a bad price and it's good quality.
N/A

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
I have used one since the early 60's the lady across the street just made me a new one out of heavy woodland camo cloth.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
I use a leather haversack when medieval-themed hunting, and it is very comfortable.  I can fit all the important stuff in there, plus I think it's better than a daypack for still-hunting/stalking because there's nothing binding your shoulders.

ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
This year I bought a small bag with a bear bow quiver incorporated into the design. My buddy ApplePie had bought one at a shoot, and I was intrigued by the possibilities. I used it hunting this year, and kept stringer, whetstone, tab and such in it, and it worked fine. I carry a fanny pack as well, with food, knife, rope, plastic bag and doo-dads. I will try to get a pic of it up, but here is a shot of the bags hanging in the tent at ATAR, behind Gary of Gary's Custom Knives.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buglmin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
If you're not carrying much, sure, why not. I think after a bit, the strain on your meck from just one strap would give you one heck of a headache, plus the bag would just sag, and no real way to adjust it and to keep it from bouncing.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks much for the feedback thus far. With no more than a fellar needs to carry when deer hunting, I am thinking it will work out fine. I thought about the weight hanging off the shoulder, but for hunting Indiana whitetail, there are some hills and hooers, but the territory I cover isn't that big or rough. Keep the feedback coming and thanks for the photos. Mike

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
i carry a large haversack which my wife refers to as my pocketbook! she also calls my large grey and black capote a bathrobe. anyways i can fit about all i need in the haversack or on my belt. i was carring a large backpack with way to much stuff.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
Hey Mike! Stuff hanging off me would drive me nuts while stalking or still hunting. Been using "DAY ONE" clothing for the past few years. Have deep pockets in all the right places with a Carry All on the back of my vest. Guess if you are gonna carry something heavy like a camera or binos the fanny pack or shoulder bag will work.

My binos have a thin carry strap that put pressure on my neck... :( ...Then I hooked the strap under my back tag and now no neck strain... :D ...

Another good item is my BISON GEAR fanny pack that opens into a backpack if needed... :) ...If the weather warms up the heavy clothing goes inside.

Good Luck Buddy!   >>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
mike i amde one for myself before i went south hunting a couple of years ago and yes i got ahead of all my friends and just call it herb's purse    :saywhat:   figured i would cut them off at the pass. works great in texas could carry a couple of bottles of water ,some junk food a knife and rope and some plastic bags --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline trh1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
I have a Rancho fanny pak. It has a back support that is padded and has mesh inside to help with the sweat. I use a Cat Quiver1 with it. The bottom of the Cat Quiver sets on top of the fanny. I run two bungie cords to eyehooks to keep everything stable. I really like it. I got both in saddle cloth.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
herb, do I need to refer to mine as "a Herb's purse"?   :saywhat:  I mean, you have pantent on it or anything....right?  :bigsmyl:  We'll just call them a "man purse" and go with that! LOL-Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©