3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about your Shrew  (Read 651 times)

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about your Shrew
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
Looking for some info on a 56" Shrew CH. Anything and everything , good or bad.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about your Shrew
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Dave I have had a few and shot them very well. Made for awesome hunting bows. I had Gregg Coffee make me a 58" Classic Hunter and it was awesome.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
i had a 56" CH and a 60" SS at the same time. Both bow bolt. I shot the 60" much better. The 56 was carbon, the 60 all wood and they shot the same speed  thru a chrony. Never liked the sound of the carbon bow.
Tom

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
I had a 56" CH carbon bow bolt and a 58" SS. Shot well but I always thought they were a little loud. I think Gregg's Elkheart is an improvement.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Craftsmanship is ace.  The 2010 Coffey-made one I had was a great shooting shorter bow.  I have had a few short longbows since then that were either a little quicker or a little more dead in the hand, or a little quieter, but overall it was a very handy design that had a lot of thought put in.  I'm about to take delivery of the St. Jude's Java Man bow, a 56" Elkheart, and Gregg explained to me that it is even more refined and better than what he was putting out back when he made the '10 bow I had- I'm pretty excited and can't wait to try it.  

I haven't had the pleasure of a new Chuck Deschler made Shrew yet, but judging by Chuck's reputation I can't imagine that they are not great bows.  It's my understanding that Chuck took the Shrew specs and redesigned the bow from the ground up according to his know-how and didn't just clone the bows Gregg was making.  I'm told the new Shrews have very slightly larger risers and the limb dimensions are a little different as well.   I'd love to try one someday,
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
I had a Shrew Samurai 58 in and 60@28. Great bow and very smooth. If I had it to do over I would get a take down with a bow bolt. I like the extra weight in the handle with a skinny bow like a shrew. I shot a shrew with a bow bolt on a hunt once and thought it made a big difference.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
The bows that Chuck is making for me now are even better then the Shrew bows made previous to his coming on board. Chuck is a very quick study and it didn't take him very long to totally satisfy my fussy nature. When I first designed the Shrew bow over 20 years ago no one was making a bow like it. My first ad in TB claimed it was "The World's shortest Longbow". Gene Wensel claimed it was "The ultra lite flyrod of hunting bows" and was all the bow you needed for bowhunting"

It took awhile but before long the shooting characteristic's of the Shrew drew bow hunters away from their long longbows and caused bowyers to add short forward handled bows to their line. The original Shrew bow changed the way many people thought a hunting bow should be...and it's still doing it today.

The fact that the original Super Shrew design is being copied by others today tells you that is a great design. In fact when one of my previous bowyers started making a Shrew copy calling it by a different name I ask him why he didn't come up with his own design he said to me, "There isn't a better design than this"....      :archer:  

Change doesn't always mean better, a good bumper sticker..    ;)
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I like both the ch and the ss and for me I like the ss best as it seems a little more stable for me . I shoot both very good , both are very smooth and very quite .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
The Super Shrew has been around long enough now to be called a "Classic", for a good reason.

If I could only have one bow to do everything with it would be the 60" SS. Its long enough to be very stable, as stable as my 70" longbows, short enough to fit in any blind that I can (I'm 6'3+), draws smooth as glass beyond my 29.5" draw length, quiet and plenty fast enough.

I also have a 56" CH, its a good bow but its not as versital as the 60" SS for me.

Eric

Offline Puckaway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
I love my 2014 CH. 56". Everything anyone could want from a hunting bow.

Online Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I have a 54" CH,2012 model,one of the last that Gregg built. I love this little bow,I'm only 5'7 and draw 26" and it fits me great.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I love my Shrews! Great hunting bow.  Nothing bad to say about them. I have a 58" SS and two 54" CHs.  I had a couple 56" but ended up moving down to the 54" with my 27" draw.  All of mine are TDs.  All of mine were made by Gregg.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I'm a believer.  Never needed the carbon because performance is great.  I have 6 CH's from 54" to 56". All top notch hunters, quiet, and shoot where you look.
Go for it I say...   :thumbsup:
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Sounds like all good info.Now I'm wanting one. Looking for a  RH 56" CH T/D, 50 or so at 28" would be great. Thanks fella's for the info.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by daveycrockett:
Sounds like all good info.Now I'm wanting one. Looking for a  RH 56" CH T/D, 50 or so at 28" would be great. Thanks fella's for the info.
Found one . Liking it!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
^^^ if you get tired of it, let me know  :)

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a 60' that I have had for a couple weeks. The string that it came with was a problem (not one of Ron's). I built a 8 strand padded D-10 and it made a huge difference. Very quiet and fast.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Here's a pair of Classic Hunters the Chuck finished recently.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Wow beautiful bows, I may have too hang all my hill style longbows up, And order myself a new toy, Nice work Chuck.
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
whats that limb vaneer the bottom,, Bacote?
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©