3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The elevated rest and 3 under  (Read 422 times)

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
The elevated rest and 3 under
« on: July 04, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
I took a few months for me to really get comfortable shooting 3 under and now a couple years later  split fingered feels  totally alien to me.   So I have a bow collection all with standard split fingered tiller and I decided to give an elevated rest a try.   First because I have always had problems shooting Longbow getting what looked like two different groups, sloppy form or release or both I am guessing.   Secondly because someone else on here posted the sacrilege of putting it on a Longbow and seeing improvement.   So  off I go into the trad archery weeds.   I slapped one on a hybrid longbow and hotdog  it's awesome.  My new favorite setup.   Its the quietest bow I've heard shoot. My thanks to Terry and the girls for the hush puppies.    So my question is will an elevated rest help quiet all my other bows with the three under shooting?   I'm ready to convert them all if it transforms them like this Longbow.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: The elevated rest and 3 under
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
I'd attribute the improved quietness more to the hush puppies than the elevated rest.  An elevated rest calls for a higher nocking point, which in turn bends the limbs more unevenly, which should lead to more limb/string vibration noise. Let us know what happens on your other bows.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
It could be that your arrows were bouncing off the riser. This can make a bow seem very loud.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
Sloaf,

What rest did you go with?

Thanks,
James

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
My dad borrowed me his 69 grizzly with a bear rest.  I shoot 3 under, and my groups tighten up significantly.  So I decided I'd try one on my 72 browning fury....no go.  No matter where I placed the rest I couldn't get it tuned.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:30:00 AM »
3 under with a rest has been better for me too! If a bow hasn't been tillered for 3 under then by moving where you hook into the string brings you closer to center. The combination of it now being at closer to proper tiller and the arrow clearance both will make it quieter. Rests are very traditional btw....Ryan

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I just installed a feather rest on my PCH and really like it. It is sort of between an elevated rest and shooting off the shelf.

My only concern is durability. We will see.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
I'm actually very curious about this since I'm going to try out an elevated toothbrush rest (a la Mark Kimber's method). I guess the nice thing is since I will be using an ILF setup--currently waiting on some Centaur longbow limbs--I can modify the tillering to fine tune the shooting off of a rest. I shoot three under as well.

But just for my own understanding, would a bow that is tillered for split, shoot better off of an elevated rest when shooting three under?

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
It shouldn't matter how a bow is tillered. Just move the nock till your arrows fly true.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
3 under off a rest is essentially the same as spilt of the shelf. Personally I prefer to shoot 3 under off the rest. Works the best for me

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Got it. Thanks 4point and md126!

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
I tried the Bearpaw rest  that Kustom king sells.     I don't have experience with other brands but I was looking for something short vertically to put on the Longbow. So far I am pleased I just want to make sure it holds through inclement weather.  

El Chupa,  that is what I am curious about.

From what I can tell  having an elevated rest helps the arrow clear the rest better.   The extra quietness may just be incidental from the silencer spacing hitting a sweet spot by shifting the nicking point. I think this is why string walking works off the elevated rest. Something so simple is very complex.   Lol.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4 point:
It shouldn't matter how a bow is tillered. Just move the nock till your arrows fly true.
...But it does, that is the reality for having the OPTIMUM set up.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
A tiller can be off a long ways and you can still tune a bow. I can't tell any difference between a bow tillered for split finger and one tillered 3 under other than the nock placement.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »
It has to do with aiming.  The limbs are tillered and balanced so they are not fighting against each other at full draw.  It has to do with the relation to where you place your fingers on the string and the location of the arrow, and grip in relation to the center of the bow.  

It does make a difference.  Any bow will shoot an arrow downrange.  If you are shooting close range you will probably never see the difference.  If you start to shoot at longer range it will show up.  You can make a bow shoot more or less forgiving with tiller.  

Old barebow string walkers would invert the limbs on recurves to reverse the tiller because it made the bow shoot more forgiving and aim better in the stringwalking style.  

Bowyers offer even tiler on bows for 3 under because it maximizes the forgiveness of the bow and creates a more harmonious relationship between the limbs.  Older recurves shoot better with elevated rests because they were tillered to be shot with the arrow above the shelf.

To have the OPTIMUM tune and most reduced movement at full draw, there is an optimum tiller.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
elevated rest on my bobcat

Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:00 PM »
same style rest on my Widow

Make a life, not a living

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Resurrecting an older thread but just wanted to post my findings. I'm shooting off of an elevated toothbrush rest and switched back and forth between 3-under and split shooting styles on account of the noise I was getting. My ILF longbow had been set at even tiller because I intended to shoot 3-under. I was getting a lot of noise though. Messed with the tiller and found the optimal spot to be 3/16" positive tiller. Very quiet shooting 3-under now!

Offline jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Three under and rests work well for me.  I usually have a bow or two set up with a rest, I like them for shooting vanes.  Vanes work great in wet conditions vanes are more durable and cheaper than feathers.  Having said all of that I still prefer to shoot off a shelf with feathers.  Crazy I guess.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©