3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scorpion: A New Experience  (Read 403 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Scorpion: A New Experience
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »

I just recently returned from 13 days on the island of Molokai, where I hunted axis deer. I don't use a guide there as I'm familiar with the deer and the terrain. I had found a perfect old acacia tree on a dry hillside, and I constructed a blind beneath it. In my blind was a small chair and my shaggie coat, plus headcover. My norm was to get up at 3:45 am, and be out the door by 4:00. I would walk along the beach and then cut uphill into the bush toward my blind. Once there I'd drop my pack and just sit for a while in the dark, letting the tradewinds cool me down. Once cool I would slip into the shaggie stuff and get ready for sunrise. The deer came almost every morning, but were amazingly difficult to get a shot at...per their usual paranoid and spooky nature.

Around halfway into the trip I went to my blind and did the usual routine. By 4:45 I had my shaggie gear on and the sky was brightening to my left front. With no warning I felt a severe, acid-like pain near my right sideburn. I knew it was a sting, but had never felt this before. It was as if an internal 2000 degree fire was burning my face. I imagined a wasp, but had felt nothing prior to the pain.

I ripped my headcover and jacket off, hoping whatever had stung me wouldn't hit me again. I clutched my face and felt for my headlamp. Finding it quickly, I punched the button and lit up the blind...damn the deer. I picked up the shaggie gear to shake it, but the truth showed up immediately. A good-sized brown scorpion was on the ground and heading for darkness. Before I could react, the scary-looking thing made it to a rock pile and crawled in. I knew it was the culprit, but had no real desire to try and exact revenge. I had a decision to make, and I made it. I decided to stay and hunt.

My face swelled some, and I had radiating pains periodically. I wasn't having any systemic effects, and told myself I would vacate immediately if that happened. It turned out okay, though I stayed longer to let the swelling go down before heading back. I had chances at several deer, but never pulled the string that morning.

No moral to this story. Just amazed that a hunt in 'safe' Hawaii wasn't so safe after all. The things you go through and experience in a lifetime outdoors...some of it unpredictable.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scorpion: A New Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Holy Cow.......who would have thought!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Come to the Texas Hill Country,  you will be tripping over them. I hate them!
Glad to see your OK.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Kevin,I am glad you are OK,well a man that
 Can deal with Grizzlies don't quite his hunting for a scorpion .
   :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
:scared:  

I am pretty fearless and have little to no fear of living creatures, don't mind snakes one bit for example, but I HATE arachnids!!!!  OMFG they probably would have heard me cursing on the next island!!  LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Just gave me the heebeejeebees. Glad your ok.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Glad you are ok.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
That is freaky. . .  I hate creepy crawlers!!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Invasive species? I didn't think they had those in the islands. That is Bad news.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
I'm with KSdan I hate creepy crawlers!!!.
Glad your ok
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Actually Hawaii is loaded with invasive species. Europeans brought many upon discovering the islands, and many more have been either intentionally or accidentally introduced. Mouse, Norway rat, mongoose, goats, pigs, deer, insects, arachnids...endless list. The last day of our trip I spotted this big guy lurking in the window of a gift shop in Kualapuu...and yes, he is alive and well.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 03:53:00 AM »
I think that might've just gotten you an upgrade on your Man Card! "Stung by a little scorpion?...So what! I'm HUNTING!" Lol! Glad you're ok!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Wow Kevin, Glad you are OK.

If it were me and if it would be anything like a  bee sting, my hunt would have been over for a least 2 days until I regained vision and the swelling went down.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
Glad you survived that especially being a bite to the head....they have peepers, too! Those little green tree frogs.

I'm amazed they're only charging 40 bucks for that large a spider though...hmmm.  I have paypal!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
My wife asked me why I didn't immediately load up and pack it in after getting stung. I asked her if she could imagine backpacking through acacia (thorny!) trees with one eye working. Now try imagining that coming down a big hill loaded with volcanic stones and boulders...in the near-dark. I think I took the smart path by staying. Besides, you don't get very many opportunities like this...to build your legend!    ;)  

Molokai is fun to hunt, but not easy. Acacia thorns are everywhere and they produce a nasty inflammation. I've got a decent scar on my left arm from a simple sharp stick tearing my skin on another hunt...3 weeks to heal. Volcanic rocks hide in the tall grass and can ruin a leg or ankle. Falling down seems to be part of the Molokai experience, and I've done some very fancy impromptu dances while throwing a longbow out of my way. Scorpions, spiders and centipedes abound. Feral cats growl in the brush. The largest toads I've ever seen live on Molokai. I swear you could use them as wheel chocks.

The tree I was using:

A nice axis stag rub a few yards away:

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Wow, you're one tough fellow. I cried just reading about it... When I was a kid I got stung by a scorpion, it was really hurting. I asked my dad if he was going to take me to the hospital, he said "those type will not kill you".

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
My Aunt and Uncle took their family on vacation to Death Valley around 1970. First morning there, my cousin, same age as me, put his shoe on and got stung by a scorpion hiding inside. To this day I never put a pair of shoes or boots on without shaking them out!! Lesson learned and I wasn't even there. Glad to hear you're OK and not having any lasting issues with that one.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
It went better than I expected. I figured with the warm tropical conditions and my body heat that I might get sick or have more swelling than I did. Trust me, I have no complaints about the deal. I was both unlucky and then lucky that morning. I was able to later snap a selfie and send it to my wife who was understandably worried that someone might have to actually evac me out of the thorn forest and off that ungodly rough and rocky hill.

The object of our hunting desire:

A pretty good stag:

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
:scared:    :eek:    :scared:  
Holy cow that's crazy. I would have smashed the little bugger out of pure panic. And screamed like a little girl. Funny how we never think of the little things that might get us. Only big like bears and lions...
Maybe Ryan S will chime in or someone who lives there year round do give us the real dirt on creepy crawlies. Glad you made it out safe KD!

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
Kevin, You are now my newest hero!!!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:   I'm glad you're OK!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©