3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail cams  (Read 650 times)

Offline dave h

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail cams
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Never new just because I shoot a recurve I am a real hunter. I shoot recurves and long bows for the love of shooting not hunting. I started real young.Use to go in the woods and cut down saplings and string them up and shoot wood arrows my dad bought me. Never heard the word trad or traditional years ago when I started hunting with one maybe because I was the only one I new that hunted with one. May get some trail cams. Would save on gas on all the scouting trips I make.
Fox Archery Recurve(THE BREED)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rifle River Scout:
Rolltide hunter, I don't wear panties, I hope your not offended.

Bowmarks, I have no idea what your reference is to my handle but I grew up on the Rifle River and became a scout 50 years ago. My handle fits where ever I am.

Some of you need to look up the definition of Traditional. Webster should do.
Relax bud this is a fine forum  with lots of great people and opinions are like..... Do so in a nice manner
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I guess I'm not trad enough.    :eek:   Do you think Fred Bear would be using them if they were around then?  I know a lot of big name trad guys use them, the Wensels for one or should have said two.     :biglaugh:

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I'm glad everyone feels better. I'm gonna drop in my 2 cents tho its not needed. I do see how the technology of trail cams could go against the grain of "trad hunting". But I have two young daughters ages 2 and 4. I have an extremely demanding work schedule. My trail cameras have allowed me to introduce my girls to wildlife when my work schedule has got in the way. I document and keep track of the photos taken and enjoy it greatly. I still make it to the woods as often as I can and when it works out I take the girls along. Do I make it all about inches and hunting nope. Do I get excited about getting a picture of animals absolutely. I appreciate threads like this as debate is healthy. But I don't like the lines drawn in the sand. To each there own. I come to trad gang because I find people who enjoy shooting and hunting with the same kind of weapons I do. As far as what kind of horse they rode to this campfire really makes me no difference.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Hey,
        Were all entitled to our own opinions,some of us come off a little stronger than others, no ones way has to be "the way".              

My "trail cam" is usually always hanging around my neck/shoulder, especially when I am on a "trail".

Nice thing about mine is I can carry it in the car with me also, just in case I see a nice buck. Just last week about 10:30 in the a.m.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Some like trail cams, and some don't. Some consider them non-traditional, and some don't care. Either way, nobody should pass judgment on an opposing point of view. In its essence, a trail cam is a scouting tool. In its broader use it is an entertaining way to view wildlife when you can't be on scene. It is just not worth arguing over.
Sam

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I like to use trail camera to photograph wildlife.For the most part,they don't help a lot in taking game.You have to know where the animal is traveling,in order to set up the camera in the first place.After that,mornings and evenings are the best times.I learned that 50 years ago-before trad.Because you see,the use of the term traditional,to describe what we do,came after the compound.Before that,we were archers and bowhunters.Nobody was trad.And of course,we are discussing it on smart phones and computers via the internet.That's some high tech stuff right there!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
I shoot what are called traditional bows.  Don't really care if that makes me "trad" or not.  

I do care tremendously about hunting ethically, and I have no problem using trail cameras within the limits of fair chase.  I don't see that they have ever given me an unfair advantage over the game I pursue.  I don't use them that way, although I do suppose that there could be some who might try.  

My suspicion is that those who are most opposed to trail cameras have never used one.  The arguements against them are more theory than reality.  Kind of like arguing that using scent lock clothing gives the hunter an unfair advantage.    :rolleyes:    Wise hunters know that should also be taken with a grain of salt    ;)
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 02:43:00 AM »
Gentlemen, I love you guys and I repent and retract my original statement.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
good grief
Slickhead

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
I've been using them and I have to admit that I often feel like maybe I shouldn't be. I go back and forth on it. The one thing that concerns me is that I feel as the technology increases they may very we'll get to a point where they have gone too far.  Time will tell.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I just started using them this year after I purchased my own piece of whitetail ground.  I am having a ball.  I have great pictures of coyotes, turkeys, bear, doe, fawns and a couple nice bucks.  It is giving me a great idea of what I have to work with.  I hunt with my recurves and longbows and am comfortable with where I am as an ethical hunter, but the cameras are an entertaining tool to me.  I still have to scout the areas to see where to put them.  I am learning by the trip.  Great fun.

D.P.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Dear Mr. trail cam thread starter(aka Mr. "more trad than though"), you ain't makin' many friends here with that type of elitist attitude, bro.

How 'bout you tell us what bow you shoot, what type of cane arrows you shoot with it, what stone points are sinewed onto them, what kind of moccasins you wear, what type of horse you ride, and what herb you been smokin' in that peace pipe of yours? And then we'll all decide just how much trad you are.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Jay Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
I have actually learned several things from my post .1. That many of you use trail cams for fun.
 2. That some use them to have more family time.
 3. That some take them down before season.
 4. Many see trad as the bow typed used and put no more significance on trad than that.
 5. Some view Trad as touching the over all experience which would exclude the ideas of modern or new.
 6. My personal bend therefore lead me to think that a trad site should exclude that which is modern or new.
 7. Thank you for your impute, I have been schooled.
JAY BURTCH

Offline Jay Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »
I had to post using Jay Bow, which is not mine because for what ever reason I can no longer pull up Rifle River Scout.
I bid you all a fond farewell.
JAY BURTCH

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
You raise a very good point in that we need to be careful how we use technology like cameras.

Every year I get more interested in primitive things and less in new technology but you have to draw the line somewhere and accept some things.

In the purest sense is driving a modern truck to your hunting spot, heating your house or putting your deer meat in a deep freezer or not making your own bow and arrows traditional?  Think about it; you  typed your point of view using a "magic computing box" via this new technology called the internet.  Original Trad guys did not have that.(understand your point and just giving you a hard time, no problems)    ;)    

Simple.  Trail cams are fun, something to do in summer and with kids, make cool pics to post up in hunting lodge or tell stories to with hunting buddies, lets you see if a buck you saw made it through the winter, survey buck to doe ratios, see if you got lots of coyotes around, see if have a hurt or diseased dear around, spot trespassers, fills your dreams, etc.

To each their own...Now crossbows, that is the devils technology, not cameras!      :thumbsup:  

Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©