3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: run and gun setup...  (Read 299 times)

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
run and gun setup...
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
Ok guys... looking for insight here. I'm used to hunting private property where leaving stands hung year round is no issue. Now that I'm hunting oublic land, I'm thinking of going with a lightweight stand/tree step setup.

When you hunt this way, are you going in bare bones (i.e. no backpack or limited gear)?

Looking for specific setup examples here. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: run and gun setup...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I have morphed to use two systems, one, a RS ultralight ghillie suit, that I have been using more and more, and a Chippewa WL treestand with 4 LW sticks.  With these, I can fairly quickly hunt anywhere.  I hunt public nearly exclusively and have to set up and take down daily.  Good thing about that is it helps me move it around more than if I have a single (or even multiple) pre-set stand locations.  With practice, you can set it up pretty quickly and quietly.  

I have slowly culled the extra crap I carry out there with me to pretty minimal stuff.   I am out there for a few hours to half a day at a time most hunts, I don't need a suitcase full of gear or even water for that.  I have stopped carrying grunt, bleat, rattling etc gear.  Not that it don't work, but I don't want anything to even know something is there.

ChuckC

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I hunt this way 99% of the time. I put up and take down every time I sit. All public land. This gives me a ton of spots to hunt.
I use a lone wolf stand on my back, my pack hangs on the stand, and gorrila sticks on my shoulder. Go for as deep as a mile. Father than a mile in I use a tree saddle and plastic strap on steps to lighten the load.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
For open hardwoods, a Nifty seat or huntmore seat and sometimes a Bush in a Bag.  For better cover areas without a tree for a back rest, the Huntmore seat and sometimes the bushin a bag.  When I have no clue where I will end up just the Nifty seat, which is strapped with a stretchy belt, assembled on my draw arm side.  Those my good luck days when I still hunt until things seem right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©