3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: run and gun setup...  (Read 663 times)

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
run and gun setup...
« on: July 06, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
Ok guys... looking for insight here. I'm used to hunting private property where leaving stands hung year round is no issue. Now that I'm hunting oublic land, I'm thinking of going with a lightweight stand/tree step setup.

When you hunt this way, are you going in bare bones (i.e. no backpack or limited gear)?

Looking for specific setup examples here. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: run and gun setup...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
I will admit I use to be WAY caught up in the gadget phase. Any and everything you could ever "need" I took. Now I take the bare minimum , except my bow/arrows if it doesn't fit in my pocket I don't take it.

FYI a small folding saw helps when taking a climber or light tree stand into new woods.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
I usually pack all my gear in... camo strapped to my backpack/fanny pack. I'm thinking of stuffing my pockets and packing it all in strapped to the stand.

Also considering muddy sticks and bloodsport stand for public land.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 02:00:00 AM »
Small fanny pack and my summit open shot and im good to go
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Have you looked at a Guido's Web? I think they may be a great answer for public land hunting. I actually bought one but since all of my hunting is done on my own private land with multiple prehung stands in place I found I just didn't use it.  I have it listed in the classifieds here.

Here is a link to a thread with some good info about the Guido's Web.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123176#000005
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
You may want to check out a Primos  bowhunting vest with a Summit Open Shot or LW Handclimber
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Don't need much to deer hunt.  Small fanny pack with knife, flashlight, deer drag, whistle, couple paper towel, and a granola bar. In my pocket is film canister of milk weed seed to check the wind and around my neck is a grunt tube.  Depended on the time of year, may have a pair of rattling horns.  Always have my safety harness and for a stand, my Lonewolf climber is hard to beat.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
I know it's foreign to many newer hunters as they have always hunted from trees, but consider a ghillie Suit and a Hammock Seat or just sit on a stump.  It's amazing how close you can get to a deer this way.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Ethical Redneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
These guys all have great ideas. I have had all the tree stand options (e.g., tree saddle, guidos web, lw climber and lw hang-on). I think the most practical is the lw hang on and sticks or climb paws. With bungees, they pack tight and you convert your stand into an Alice pack or pack frame. So now you can bungee clothes and other gear right to the stand. Also, I've become so efficient with this method that I can be up a tree way faster that I can with a climber. IMO the guidos web is super comfortable but is too heavy (10#) to have on your back while installing sticks. Plus, I never found a suitable platform to rest your feet once you arrive at hunting height.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
The only way I have hunted- even on private ground- for 20 years.  Always portable an on the move.  Once you learn it, you can slip up just about any tree you like in under 10 minutes.  You never have to repeatedly enter the woods until you are ready to hunt a spot.  Ltwt hang-on, LW sticks, set up as a backpack (good shoulder straps, padded hip belt) on my back. I do not carry sticks stacked, but separated on a foam block which means no noise and low profile. 18#-with hip bet is hardly noticeable.  All daily gear is in a turkey vest in the same pockets from year to year.  As I climb a tree all the items I need are in easy reach in the same place every-time.

Hunted with 3 dozen different guys in the past 12 years.  EVERY guy I take must hunt this way.  All continue once they realize how easy ad efficient this is.  Too- it is economical as you only need ONE stand!

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the insight guys! The only part I'm getting hung up on is how to hang my bow/ gear oncei get into the stand...

Are you all carrying bow hooks up with you?

KSdan, id love to see a pic of your setup!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
I would say scout the land before yu go and know what you will need to bring.

I either use my ghillie suit or.... I bring my Lone wolf climber and strap a  small backpack to it.

Your question about the bow and stuff.  I usually have 2 bungy cords around my stand. I stretch one around the tree and hang my quiver from it.  I put my pack strapped in under my seat and my bow sits on my lap unless I get lucky enough to have a  branch in front of me.

Limit what you bring and stay mobile.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
I'm the same as a few others light weight hang on with LW steps. I use a small day pack  and bungee it to the stand when carrying  As far as hanging gear,  small bow hooks are always in my pack one for my pack one for my bow they are cheap and weigh nothing ....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
Small fanny pack and Lonewolf Assault hang-on stand.

Always have a couple hooks for the fanny pack and bow.
T ZZZZ

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Check this thread out,

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123634#000010

KSdan with some great info. I use a LW sticks/stand, black diamond rock climbing harness and my extra gear in a Kathy Kelly pack strapped to it all. Less than 20 lbs and I can go where ever the sign takes me.
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I hunt this way 99% of the time.
I put up and take down every sit. For any stands under a mile I us a lone wolf hang on (not their little one)that goes on my back, my pack hangs on my stand (so my stand is sandwiched between my back and my pack). Then my gorilla climbing sticks go on my shoulder. From the time I reach the base of my tree to the time Im sitting in my stand hunting is about 6 minutes. same with take down.

For stand sites that are over a mile I use a saddle and a set of plastic strap on steps and it all fits in my pack.

I hunt 99% state land.

Here is another trick that has worked good for me over the years if you want to leave a stand up.

When you find a stand site that has proven itself and you know you will come back to a few times a season leave the stand up there with a cable lock and take the sticks down. most people wont go thru the trouble to bring thier own climbing stuff to get the stand and they can see the cable from the ground and know its not worth the effort.
For these stands I use cheaper stands. You can get good hang on stands from the sportsmans guide for 30 bucks. They are great for those spots you want to leave one out all season.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
This shows my set up.  What is NOT in this photo is the hip belt that I attach to the stand (it is one of those large padded type).

The set up is about 6" thick.  It also allows me to tuck a vest or even a light jacket between the sticks and the stand.

Again- KEY to this set-up is I am always wearing a turkey vest with all the stuff I need in various assigned pockets.  I actually have a lot of small items in the vest.  I use screw in bow holders for hanging the bow and the vest.  I usually hang the vest on the opposite side of the trunk, then use a bungee to hold it tight- thus no bulk in the tree.

I take the sticks off when I arrive at the tree.  I then put the stand back on my back.  I hang 1-2 sticks either on branches or on a small screw in holder so I can grab them as I ascend the tree.  I go up the tree ONE time.  Set the stand, reattach my safety line, step on to the stand, and pull up the bow.  The entire process is easily under 10 min (I have timed myself many times in7-8 minutes!).  You get really quick and fluid with this as the season unfolds.  I do this easily 25-75 times every season.  

Good hunting
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:00 AM »
You all have been great! Very insightful replies.

Ksdan,. Thanks for taking the time to post those pics!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
just a thought....

...you could eliminate some of your gear problems ( but admittedly add some others) by hunting from the ground using natural cover...it's a rush!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©