3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Kudzu?  (Read 289 times)

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Kudzu?
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Okay, I found a patch of Kudzu out in the woods (literally over a mile from any other kudzu - how this got there I don't know)in an area I had planned to hunt anyway. Is this a good early season natural food source? Season opens in mid September
here in Georgia. Will the kudzu "sweeten the deal" on this already good location?

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Kudzu?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Kudzu is a fantastic early season food source but it is difficult to get out of your stand without blowing out the deer each night. Do you best to hunt an approach trail to keep from buggering the stand. and never hunt it in the mornings. The first frost will turn the deer off of kudzu overnight.

Best of luck.

Jerry

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
or, come up with another way to "blow the deer out" so they don't bust your stand..  have a friend drive by, have a long string tied to a pile of pots to bang, start barking like a dog... anything.   If it is a big plot, cut a trail thru the center to give the deer a trail to follow (past your stand).
ChuckC

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Another hunter has a tree stand near the eastern edge, so I can't approach it from that direction. I'm not going to be "that guy" because it's hard enough hunting public land. If I mess up a hunt by accident, that's one thing. But I won't hunt where I know somebody else will be. The northern approach
would be the same situation. The western approach is thick, thick, creek bottom and I'd spread my scent everywhere trudging through that. Thus my stand is on the southern side, on the side of a steep ridge, which happens to be really the only "funnel" going past it. There's two directions of travel for deer, with a third deer trail coming towards me squeezing though the thick stuff and the western edge of the actual kudzu patch.
So I'm overlooking a deer trail T intersection. My approach comes from the south through a hardwood/pine area and is a total cakewalk.
But I have to hunt this in the morning because of the thermals. Toward dark my scent would shoot downhill and I'd be busted for sure. The only other time would be right in the middle of the day with a north wind - which is very common so that's good. I'm pretty excited about this spot. Now that my brush blind is finished, I won't have to return until the season opens. But being public land I can't control who else scouts near it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
remember... actual thermals work both ways morning and night.   Before the sun comes up and warms things, the thermals go down.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©