3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Physical Training for elk, moose, anything  (Read 1201 times)

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Physical Training for elk, moose, anything
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
One thing that is often a very painful and unwelcome surprise if you don't live near steep terrain is going downhill for any extended period, especially with weight on your back. Just like your cardiovascular system needs conditioning, so does your musculo-skeletal system.

If the tallest thing in your neighborhood is a high-rise building, find a way to use its staircases for training, wearing your hunting boots and loaded pack. Bring some music, and the boredom you experience now will be rewarded when you're in the mountains. And you'll be much less likely to need help getting out because of a leg injury.

Last thing: There are two types of people in the mountains. Those who understand the value of trekking poles (especially with heavy loads) and those who are destined to watch in envy as a companion disappears down the hill.

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Even though I do not have any mountain hunts this year, I have found that year round running and biking has been a huge plus for me over the past 5 years.  I used to workout quite hard prior to season and as soon as the hunt was over would revert back to my old out of shape self.  Now, instead of cramming in real intense workouts(which likely will eventually lead to an injury) in the last few months before heading to the mountains I just try to keep a consistent routine of gradually gaining mileage.  The best thing that I have found to keep me motivated for year round running is to run 4 or 5 trail races through the spring and summer.  The ones that I do range from 6 miles to 19 miles but have a lot of climbing in rough, rocky terrain.  I have found nothing else that can compare to the rigors of backpack hunting the mountains or packing out an elk like these trail races that require you to "push through the pain".   Another huge plus to help get you in shape and stay there is if you can find some workout/hunting partners that have the same goals and will constantly push you to improve.  My elk hunting buddies are into these same trail races and it has proven to be mutually beneficial.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I will say stick with P90 and don't give up, but know your limits!  It took almost 2 months before I saw drastic change and could really feel a big difference.  I was 215 went down to 180 in that time.  I also did Insanity and that really helped with cardio, but ended up bothering my knee more than I liked so quit that.  

Keep at it and continue it as a lifestyle or you will be back to square one.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
By the way Bill is 100% spot on.  I'm far from an expert but found out real quick you can't eat crap and expect to be and feel better just because you exercise.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Very good info guys! Today was an agility workout with P90 and a 3 mile walk/run. Moose hunt in 82 days!
Mike Davenport

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
I'm training for a very different goal.  I suffered a pretty bad stroke last year, primarily affecting my right leg from mid-thigh down.  The leg lost a lot of muscle, as the nerves that run it aren't exactly hooked up right.  I'm wheelchair bound most of the time, and I have a specific bow just for wheelchair shooting.  I am planning to hunt the disabled areas this year, but I'm forcing myself up for longer and longer to get ready to hunt my land this year.

I took my first unaided hike late last month, and the past two weeks has been spent in intensive blackberry picking.  That might not sound hard to you, but try it with a dead leg some time.  I got a cake when I could get the mail again.  I went from bedridden in December to wheeling myself everywhere and taking short hikes in July.  I will never be able to walk normally again, as my hips are shot and unreplaceable, but I'm walking every day, and I finally have enough strength to go back to doing it all barefoot.

These may not seem like heavy workouts.  I do shoot about five days a week, I load and unload my chair (including breakdown/assembly) and I push my own chair everywhere I go.  When home I force myself to walk as best I can, and I've made short forays into the woods with my bow to go stumping.  

I don't expect to ever do a multiday elk hunt.  I own five acres against the Bankhead National Forest, and I take more coyotes than deer in an average year.  But I will keep my legs as long as I can, and pushing that chair is directly translating into draw weight.  It's no impressive regime, but it's hard enough.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Halfseminole, you just keep after it! That is inspiring!  Good luck this fall!
Mike Davenport

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
Best of luck in your recovery Halfseminole!

Heading to NW MT in Sept chasing elk.

Last year this week I was in critical care from a reaction to cancer treatment drugs and then developed a 12" clot in my left leg.

Been running, biking, & strength training using basic body weight exercises for 6 months.  Endurance is still lacking.  Started hiking a little last week and will up that with weighted pack now til we leave. Plan to do a sprint tri Aug 2nd.  

I use Loseit.com to track my food intake. Not so much calories but fat/carb/protein tracking.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
You cannot out train a poor diet. Once my wife and I started the Paleo diet….basically stop eating processed food, salt and sugar….I lost 20 #s even though I've worked out very consistently most of my life. You will be surprised.
Agree completely.  I have had the same experience with Paleo.  Went from 223 to 190.  

In my judgment, the right recovery is just as important as the workouts and the food........especially getting enough sleep.

I do crossfit 4 times a week and run long on the weekends.  Planning to complete 3 marathons this year...2 down and 1 to go.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
10k calories a day goal intake.  Wasting diseases are fun in that respect.  Most of the intake is supposed to be protein.  Still working up to enough stomach capacity.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Mike and all, I use a great tool to help manage and track my hikes, its a APP called "Runtastic", its free and can be loaded to your smart phone in minutes. It tracks your distance, individual mile times, average mile time, total time, calories burned and provides map of your journey.  Have a great day.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
I do a lot of up and down hikes. But don't forget to train for packing out. For that I do flies, a five gallon jug in each hand, bend at the waist and engage those back muscles 10 reps and you are on your way, another 5 and feel the burn.
Someday I'm going to put water in the jugs.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
I swing an 8lb hammer a good chunk of the day while working for an earthquake making company in SW Oklahoma.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
For me, keeping fit is a way of life... Not just something to do in order to reach a set goal. My goal is to be as fit and healthy for as long as I can.

I coach Crossfit when not at work ( I work out of town in mining )... Do kettlebell workouts, flip truck tyres up hills and other crazy things at times to push myself and also to remind the body I'm in charge! Lol.

As mentioned above... Your diet is just as important, not only in training but a way of life, hence why people are getting really good results from eating close to Paleo as possible... You can train your butt off but without the right fuel going in the output will be limited.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
For me, keeping fit is a way of life... Not just something to do in order to reach a set goal. My goal is to be as fit and healthy for as long as I can.

I coach Crossfit when not at work ( I work out of town in mining )... Do kettlebell workouts, flip truck tyres up hills and other crazy things at times to push myself and also to remind the body I'm in charge! Lol.

As mentioned above... Your diet is just as important, not only in training but a way of life, hence why people are getting really good results from eating close to Paleo as possible... You can train your butt off but without the right fuel going in the output will be limited.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Looks like I'm gonna have to add weights, my new bow is a bit more than I'm used to but I think it's the one, so I'll just add pushups and pushing the wheelchair uphill to my regimen.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
That has been my biggest problem Al...I "train up" prior to a hunt but I do it 6 months in advance. I do triathlons in July and August and use them as my launch for my hunts in Sept/Aug. Sadly once I am home and it becomes hunting season here and Oct-Feb I am hyperfocused on hunting whitetails and become out of shape. My goal is to change that! As I am now in my mid40s I need to make that happen!

Today a 20 mile bike ride and P90x...feeling good. Moose in 85 days  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
run 30 mins per day - 4.5 to 5 miles
at end of workout - hill running
30- 45 mins per day - work out a gym my own circuit training
10 -15 mins per day - yoga and stretching ( my own brand of p90x, yoga and stretching all together.
family walk and or bike ride and a walk for the dog and me. (45-1 hour)

try to do 7 days a week 365 days a year, but can't all the time with work out of town, but usually try to get some components in.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I just purchased the 10 Minute Trainer program. My goal is to be able to do 3 of the 10 min. videos without stopping by Oct. 1st.

It may not sound like much, but I'm 6 ft. tall and am probably close to 350 lbs. and WAY too much of that is fat. So I figured I could start with 10 min. "baby steps" and work from there.

Hoping to be able to trek around the "mountains" of SE Oklahoma looking for bears without getting winded quite so easily. Or drag/pack a deer up a hill without it totally kicking my tail!

Who knows, maybe one day I'll hafta change my screen name...

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I hope to go to Ohio but in the meantime I have found swimming 1/2 mile to a mile 3 to 4 times a week plus no soft drinks to be the best for my wind. And hiking 3 to 4 miles with 40 pounds of weight on 2 to 3 times per week the best combo for any terrain.
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©