3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Physical Training for elk, moose, anything  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Physical Training for elk, moose, anything
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
This has been my worst summer in many years for getting into elk shape.  I'm 15-20# heavier than where I want to be, and life has been a whirlwind the last few months.  I had done better for the prior 5 years or so but the last couple have seen that insidious almost unseen decline when I don't keep on top of things.

I have started my normal summer bike rides and will gradually get those up to 25-30 miles 4 our 5 time a week. That always helps. A little weight loss would go a long way as well.

My saving grace this year is that my out of state hunts will consist of antelope in a blind, and elk hunting in low hills surrounding alfalfa fields.  That is a far cry from the types of things I typically do, so I should be fine.  I just need to get myself back in better shape for the long haul and be ready for hunts to come with the need for a crash course prior to the hunt.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I am Antelope hunting in SD in early September. So I have been sitting at my desk longer than normal! HA

Actually working in the bluffs 3 to 4 hours a day with a 4 gallon back sprayer on my back helps keep my legs strong and upper body fit0
Make a life, not a living

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
I know as a 40-something former college basketball player mountain hunts, especially going downhill, require a level of fitness now than it ever did before. I am working hard to not only get fit now but I want to keep thinner and stronger during the offseason to keep me ready.

25 mile ride this morning with younger guys, that's a start  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
I think you guys all sound awesome.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
[QB] I am Antelope hunting in SD in early September. So I have been sitting at my desk longer than normal! HA

That's hilarious. . .
   :biglaugh:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Mow over an acre of lawn with 50 to 80 pound pack. Ha! Mike

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
There ya go mike ...also another good idea I did in wrestling training for state championships was put ankle weights on or in that sense wear your pack and go to your local football stadium or school and run the bleachers up and down in sections you will be tip top shape when it's time I know it helped me for endurance on the mat..!!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:00 AM »
I have just finished a 8 weeks program with the help of a bowhunter friend who is a Crossfit instructor. Using a sandbag, intervals, pushups, squats, lunges....three days a week during 20 minutes and  running a little in the other fourth. The gains are obvious in 8 weeks, stronger, endurance....At 40 years old and father of two i need to work more to be as one of the spartans of the 300 film, but i know that i am in better shape than ever for the mountains and woods.

For me, the help of my friend is the key, one instructor can save you time and help a lot to be efficient.

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jorge:
I have just finished a 8 weeks program with the help of a bowhunter friend who is a Crossfit instructor. Using a sandbag, intervals, pushups, squats, lunges....three days a week during 20 minutes and  running a little in the other fourth. The gains are obvious in 8 weeks, stronger, endurance....At 40 years old and father of two i need to work more to be as one of the spartans of the 300 film, but i know that i am in better shape than ever for the mountains and woods.  
Could you detail some of the weighted workouts you've been doing?  I've been doing a lot of short, fast paced hikes with some weight but I'm in Florida, so it's all pool table flat.
We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
I'm just resigning myself &warning my hunting partners, that I just have to go slow & easy.I'll not be doing the 6 mile, + 2,000' climbs with them.

I'm just anxious to hear what exactly makes you think anything like that will be happening.    :knothead:
We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

Offline Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
Supercracker,

Simples exercises with the sandbag, not work at gyms. Basically, squats, lunges, sandbag getups and similars. Something that works well are the intervals, less time, more intensity.

Being a crossfit instructor, Al Kidner, could give lots of good advices.

I will talk with my friend, maybe he could publish all the program.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
don't forget to drink lots of water!!  my half marathon yesterday was going great until mile 10, when I stopped sweating completely.  knew I was in trouble.  within a mile I had cramps from head to toe.  I finished, but went from running at my best pace ever to walking a lot the last three miles, and being in a lot of unnecessary pain.  

drink water!
is it September yet??

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Here are the tools of the trade for me,plus walking to the top of the mountain a couple times a week. I have an acre of lawn that I push mow. 2 hrs in the front and likewise in the back.

The wood pile took "all" my time from early April till just about two weeks ago,lots of hard fun there.

I have finally been able to get the bike out of the cellar and have started to try and get those muscles back in condition before Fall is here,first couple rides have you sucking air.

I lift 3 times a week,nothing heavy,other than my body weight on some exercises, to keep the upper end where it should be.

It is not as easy as it was a few years ago but I am thankful that I can still do what I do.

Good Shooting,
                                                                         Craig

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
That sounds like a bold plan, but you can do it. Just avoid injuries. Not only will this enhance your hunting experience, it will improve your overall health, which will benefit your family as well as yourself. Go for it!
Sam

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Craig that looks like a lot of work! I can't imagine!

Rode 25 miles yesterday and swam 600 meters. I look at the calendar and get a little twinge knowing it is getting closer  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Good luck Mike ,you will do fine.

Good Shooting,
                                                              Craig

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
Loved the book, Mike M!  Got my Eberlestock Blue Widow loaded down with a bunch of birdseed right now and almost looking forward to mowing the lawn this weekend...     :D  

Kingsnake

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
T minus 54 days until I am in the mountains of BC hunting Shiras moose and black bears. I have worked hard to get in shape...but I still am about 230. Got a little time to get some weight off.

Finished a sprint triathlon 5th in my category of 20 fellas. Called the Clydesdale class. If you weigh over 200 you're special. I think maybe they want to identify us in case we have a heart attack. My brother drove down and we met in Alabama for the race. Truly most folks were thinking about split times and swim strokes...I was thinking about bogs and mountains. Keep after it folks. Those elk hunting are getting closer  :)

*I am the tall good lookin one on the left.

Mike Davenport

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Awesome Mike!  You will be just fine in BC now; goats will be another level!

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
I lift weights three times a week, ride my bike about every other day.  Preparing for the Hotter Than Hell 100 in two weeks.

Didn't draw any tags this year, but at age 51 I try to remain consistent by working out all year as it just is to easy to add on the pounds and much harder to keep them off.

I also shoot almost daily and do a lot of scouting all year.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©