3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for the Resident Knife Makers....  (Read 152 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for the Resident Knife Makers....
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:00 AM »
Hey all,

I am curious about a couple of things that I am hoping you all can clear up for me.

After seeing some of the beautiful knives that are created by some of the members here it started me thinking about trying it myself.

Whenever a new knife thread pops up I go and read it.  I have often seen posts where the maker talked about his knife was made from a file or some type of saw blade.  I have never seen a file that was any wider than an inch.  Where are these files coming from that allow you all to create knives that are pretty good size?  And what about the saw blade material?  Where does that come from?  I am pretty certain you all are not talking about a saw blade that you run down to Lowes and pick up.  I have also read where old leaf springs from trucks or cars will work well for a knife build.  Is it just any leaf spring that I would walk into a junkyard and get?

I would really appreciate you all explaining to me about the raw materials for your knife projects.  Judging by the knives that I have seen on here, you all have some real talent as a bladesmith.

Thank you for your time and help.

Nala

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for the Resident Knife Makers....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »
Try a pawnshop for old files.  You can get a good blade from a 1" file!
Dan

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
Some of these knives are forged. So they can make the blade whatever size depending on the amount of material. I've made a couple knives but never use a forge. I just find a piece that is close to my desired outcome and grind/shape it to my tastes. I think some of the saw blades they talk about are old hands saws or circular saw blades. These you could cut to shape and not have to have all of the forge stuff. Another is old badsaw blades (big ones) Not sure where they get them but I here they are good.

My first knives I made used a piece from lowes or home depot. Just basic steel. I've sure it won't hold an edge as well as better steell but it actually isn't to bad. Plus you get to learn on something cheaper.
Jason Lester

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
You can also find big rasps that are wider than an inch.  Old horseshoe rasps are one type.

Also, old crosscut saw blades have good steel in them, and are not too thick.  Leaf springs do have good steel in them, but unless you want to spend a lot of time grinding them down, or have a forge, they are probably not the best choice.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©