3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newcomer to traditional  (Read 616 times)

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
Newcomer to traditional
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Hello, well I should start by saying how I began an interest in traditional archery. Being a hunter I've seen many people use traditional bows and equiptment. I've always used modern archery gear. So I decided I wanted to try it out and didn't want to drop cash on a brand new recurve/longbow and find out I don't like it. So I looked up on YouTube how to make recurve and longbows out of pvc pipe and use heat to form limbs and what not. After I did that I came up with a #20 recurve and a #35 longbow. It only took a few shots to realize this is something I could truly excel at and enjoy shooting. The bad thing is, I have no traditional archery shops around my area. Just a gander mtn with a bear longbow and bear recurve that has been on the shelf since I moved here 9 years ago. So I went in an tried out the recurve. It was a #50 bow and I believe it was a kodiak or a grizzly. To say I fell in love with it is an understatement. #50 was smooth as silk for me to draw and it just felt great.

Now here is my question for all you experienced trad guys. I really don't want to spend $600 on a kodiak and I'm unsure of the grizzly really being worth it's $400. Maybe I'm just frugal but can someone enlighten me on a great bow with a great price?  Is buying used a good idea? For all I know I could buy used and find the bow has splintered limbs by the time I get it.

I know this post was long and I do apologize for that, but I figured I could give a little background so that I may have my questions answered better.
Thanks!!

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newcomer to traditional
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Welcome, I have bought a few used bows on this site. All where good deals. Also you might check out Rocky Mountain Speciallity Gear. Hundreds of used bows. They have a web-site. There are bowyers out there who make a custom bow for under $500.00. ie Heart Land Bows, Mad Dog and Lost Creek Bows.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
My 2 cents:

First of all, WELCOME!

Instead of buying a $400 bow from Gander (overpriced in my book) take a look at the Samick Sage in 45#. You can get one for about $150 shipped. Get you some aluminum arrows and some field points and have at it. For the investment you can try a good bow and have money left over for other things later.

What's your draw length in a recurve? It'll be shorter than with compound.

Others here will have 2 cents as well. It adds up. Lots of good folk here and lots of experience. Not one person's word is gospel, but some are pretty dang close, 'cause they've been there and done that.

Ask what you need to know. We'll be glad to help.

Buying used ain't bad either. It's well worth the contributor fee here to gain access to the classifieds. Elsewhere ( like craigslist and fleabay, can offer good deals too, but do your homework and ask lots of good questions before buying. If you can shoot it first, do so, but buying from the classifieds here give a little more reassurance you'l be buying a good bow.

Again, welcome.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
I owned a grizzly and found it to be a great introductory bow, I have through watching others and my own experience it is always a good idea to start small and work you way up, make sure after a hunting season or two that you truly love the sport before investing a ton of doe. I myself am die hard now and find myself thinking/reading/researching about it all the time! It is a very time consuming and takes a ton of practice, but you will love it, just start all in my humble opinion of course.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting for a while now and have shot all ranges of bows both in cost and draw weight. From $50 to $100 and from 35# to 70#.

My advice start inexpensive and start light.
I just acquired a Samick Sage at #40 lbs. Honestly not a whole lot of difference other than asthetics compared to other bows I have shot. I would definitely think hard about following Mr. Bud's advice. I will only add that I would think seriously about getting something in the #35 range. I wish I would have, would have saved me years of chasing my tale.

Don't make the mistake a lot of people do and get their bravado from their draw weight. If you can shoot good no one will say a word about it. except on the internet.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the help so far. With the samick, how durable are they?

I'm afraid to say "compound" cause I was told I will get banned,,, but my compound DL is 28.5". So would you guys think 27" would be my traditional DL?

As far as draw weight, I honestly had zero issues with the #50. My compound is a #74. Do you still think 35-45 would be best? I felt like I was drawing air with the #50. I'm not questioning your guys judgment, jut trying to better narrow things down.

Thanks!

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I haven't heard many problems on the Sage, and if you buy from a reputable dealer (3rivers, Kustom King, Big Jim, etc.) I'm sure they'll back it up if anything ever happens.

Be honest with yourself about draw weight also. When I switched from compound to recurve, I was shooting a 70# dual-cam speed bow and bought a 50@28 Grizzly, because I thought I could handle it. Well, I could and did, but looking back I wish I would have got the 45@28 Sage or similar, since shooting form and a well placed shot trumps speed and power IMO. Over the yrs I worked my way up in weight all the way to 65@28 but have settled on 55@28 as my preferred draw weight.

Also remember, if you're drawing 27" you'll be pulling less weight than what the bow is marked. Nonetheless, my advice is buy an inexpensive bow to get started and get your form down. After a few months you can upgrade once you start figuring out what you want in a bow. Good luck.

Offline LoreVa13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Samick's are good and durable bows. The Sage can definitely take a beating and still perform. The great thing about the Samick Sage is you can start out with lower weight limbs and move up to heavier weight limbs when your form is down and you are ready to handle the extra draw weight.

To measure your draw length put a clothes pin on the shaft and draw to your anchor. The clothes pin will push against the riser of the bow and stop when you come to anchor.

Measure from the grove of the nock to the side of the clothes pin that was pushing against the riser. Do this a few times to double check and triple check. That will give you your draw length on a trad bow. It may very well be somewhere around 27 inches.

To start out I would definitely start with 40# to 45# to build and work on good form. However, if 50# feels really easy, like you can shoot all day and night, then go ahead and get the 50# limbs. Remember if you get the Sage with 40# or 45# limbs you can always buy heavier limbs later too. Good luck and have fun!
“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

Black Widow PMA III 64" 64@30
Sarrels Bobbcatt 62" 51@30

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
One other thing, my draw with a compound and a trad bow are both 28.5". My DL slowly got longer the stronger and more consistent I became. That's another reason I wish I would have started lighter....consistency is so important for accuracy.

Offline LoreVa13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Measuring draw length

“The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

Black Widow PMA III 64" 64@30
Sarrels Bobbcatt 62" 51@30

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
How many times did you draw the 50?
Nobody knows you like you, so, if you can draw it and feel no ill effects, like shaking, after thirty or so shots, go for it!  Most of us caution newcomers to underbow themselves when switching for several reasons. The first is that being overbowed will teach you a slew of bad habits. Another is that drawing and holding a trad bow is way different than doing the same with a compound.

So, you decide.

Michigan is a hotbed (can I say that here?) of traditional archery. You missed the expo in Kalamazoo this year, what a pity. But you can find bowyers in your state, and there are likely some trad shoots in the offing.

Go to a couple of trad shoots and try out all the bows that you can. Vendors will be selling new and used bows, and the insidious habit of a new-to-you bow shooting like magic gets a lot of them sold. People who are shooting at the butts, and love their bows, will likely want you to share in their excitement over what they have found. Take them up on their offer to try the bow. Ask, if need be, some of us are dense.    :knothead:  

It would be good to go to a shoot with your own arrows, if possible. Some would say that I am putting the cart before the horse, but arrows in your expected spine range in your pocket makes me more likely to offer you my bow for a tryout. You won't be losing or breaking my dwindling stock.    :D  

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Welcome to the trad world. You have been getting some good advice, so you will soon be on your way. Have fun!
Sam

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
I really appreciate the help here guys. If there is more to add please do, I can only soak in the knowledge that is presented to me. So the more the better!!
Thanks!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
I will also add that your style of shooting may change as you figure out how you want to shoot. Some people are pure instinctive and barely hold the weight of the bow back for more than a couple of seconds, some people do better by settling on their anchor for a few seconds. A lighter bow will let you experiment with these different styles to see what suits you best.

Eventually you can shoot whatever weight you want. If 80lbs floats your boat then there ya go. But work up to it. Look at the thread about 40-45# harvest pics to get an idea of what these bows can do. By starting there and working up you ain't limiting yourself at all.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline DBGJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Caleb, check out Jays in Clare they have quite a few longbows and recurves as well as supplies. Also, this weekend in Harrison is the Michigan Bow Hunters Association Rendezvous. There will be a lot of Traditional shooters there who would be more than welcome to help you out.

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I'm only about 2 hrs from jays. I didn't even think to check there! Thanks! I go up to Gladwin to do my hunting so I can stop there, it's about 30 minutes from there.

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
Caleb,

If you are from Gladwin, I would second the Jay's suggestion.  They have one guy in particular that is very knowledgeable about traditional archery.

I have a place in Harrison and my brother lives up there too.  The Harrison Sportsman's club has a fairly active traditional group.  They even have an indoor winter league and summer outdoor 3D group that shoots together.

You also have a good bowyer in Coleman, Firefly bows.

D.P.

Offline DBGJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
Caleb, if you don't mind me asking, what part of the state you from?

Offline GladwinHunter777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I'm originally from Missouri, but I now live in Swartz creek. Not far from flint. I have family and friends up in Gladwin so I frequent there often. I hardly go to the archery section while I'm at jays because I have a pro shop out in holly that sets up my compound. So I overlooked jays and boy am I glad you brought it up!

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©