3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do you ?  (Read 610 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Why do you ?
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
In response to an earlier post, and to my recent re-reading of Glenn St Charles' "Bows on the Little Delta" (read it and you will understand), I ask the question......

Why do you feel the need to hunt using all that gear,  or with not much gear ?  

I would really like this to be a civil discussion of thoughts on the topic and deliberately sidestepping name calling or gestures of agreement or disagreement.  Just, discussion of what and why we feel that prompts us to walk in the woods with all the neat stuff, or with nearly nothing but stick and string.

Can we do it ?

ChuckC

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do you ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:00 AM »
I do it to honor my ancestors.  I'm pretty sure they're watching, and they did it with a stick and string, so I know I can too.  I carry a pretty high-tech first aid kit, but that's just a concession to my genetic disorder.  Been asked to carry a cell phone, but I'm still not sure if that would dishonor the hunt or not.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
I'll start

I know I have gone thru numerous changes in my life and in my actions.  Without doubt, I made a transition in my youth to newer is better is wonderful.  

Remember, this was very early 1970's and the whole marketing of the hunt was just starting.  I got to see the simple, the homemade.  

There was two or three types of camo available, all army surplus. I don't recall that there were any types of treestands available on the market.

Guys would grab their bows out of their car trunk, string them up (using the step thru method, of course), toss an apple and a couple candy bars in their pockets, and go off for a walk in the woods.  

Kids starting now days don't have much of a chance.  They have never seen a time when some gadget to make it easier, to make you invisible and to allow you to shoot thunder out of your bow was not waiting for you to buy it.  

They have never seen a time that the need to kill only the biggest bucks wasn't espoused on every single outdoor station and in every single magazine.

At a time when a 200 fps hunting bow (generally, only the new fangled compounds had a chance) was considered awesome fast, I vividly recall my buddy and I discussing "if I add this to my string, I will pick up 3 fps, and then with this I will add 5 fps", etc all based upon what the advertisement said and not based on experience.  "If I add a front sight, it would be better with a 6" extension so I get a longer sight plane for aiming." yadda yadda.

I recall pacing out 10 yards, 20 yards, 30 yards in several directions from my stand and putting sticks in the ground (no rangers available yet).  I recall making goofy string rigs to be able to slide a tampon on a paper clip, soaked in the hottest doe pee, about 20 yards from my stand without leaving my scent.

We kept saying it was better for the critter, that I can more cleanly hit the target.  I recall trying to get the older guys at the buddies dad's farm / hunt lodge to compete against me, 100 yds, freehand, me with my bow and them with their scoped deer shotguns.

I also vividly recall extending my shots to WAY out there and dropping a few arrows maybe 6" - 10", cutting a leg, causing blood to leak, but certainly no kill.  I remember very well asking myself then. .  what the heck am I doing ?

For the critters.  Clean quick kill.  yeah right. . .

Maybe it was really about who would get the first deer, the biggest deer, the most deer. Maybe it was about getting my name and picture on the wall of the hunting shack.

Maybe I needed to improve, not my equipment, but my own head.  Maybe I needed to really think about what I was doing, and why.

Since then, I have been slowly changing, in the other direction.  I am getting older (dang it) and I am trying to really think about and assess all the new upgrades, and why they are "necessary" and what they will do to my time walking in the woods, rather than just believing I need it...for the critters.

It seems that every year now, I get just a little bit less into the "stuff" and more into just being out there and seeing, and being part of, and outfoxing the quarry.

Whether I actually shoot or not is much less of a concern.  That right there, I believe, was a huge turning point for my thoughts.

and I am relearning that I don't really need "the stuff" and that I can use my own wits to do it.

For me, personally, and at this point in my life, I find I get more enjoyment out of doing it with less urgency, less speed, and more "smelling the roses along the way".

I guess change really is a constant.
ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
I hunt the way I do for a couple of reasons. First, when I was a kid, taking up archery, there was no such thing as a compound bow, so when I decided to get back into the sport after being away for a number of years, it was natural to reach for what I had used originally. Secondly, during the time I worked in the high tech computer field, I preferred a more low tech recreational approach. I tried shooting the compound a few times but never did care much for it, preferring to buy a long bow instead.

I don't buy into the notion that it is wrong to carry cell phones or use GPS, etc. I am not recreating a life style, merely using a low tech hunting weapon. I do, however, object to the number of ATV vehicles in use due to the noise and environmental damage caused.

I am moving toward wearing more plaid, etc. in lieu of modern camo, just because I think it is a neat idea that reminds me of the old timers and of years gone by.

I am glad, though, that some, do attach a more spiritual aspect to the hunt, as it reminds us all that we must respect the animals as well as the law when we are afield. Hunting without ethics is merely criminal activity that dishonors the individual as well as the hunt.

Often, I use a fair amount of gear such as scents and calls. Other times, I grab just my bow and quiver. Generally, I make the decision on the spur of the moment, usually in response to the acorns dropping or the rut. The older I get, the less willing I am to carry a ton of stuff into the woods.

Whatever the mindset, if a hunter ethically uses a recurve or longbow, he/she is trad enough for me, and I respect and support his/her ideology regarding the hunt.
Sam

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Hmmmm.  Just reread Bows on the little Delta myself, while in my blind turkey hunting earlier this spring.  Yeah, a blind for turkeys is a piece of technology I allow myself.  I try to avoid technology as much as possible, but it creeps in here and there.

In every piece of equipment I buy, every technique I use, I ask myself the question, "Does it affect fair chase and/or detract from the hunt?" Does it tip the scales too much in my favor, either individually or in conjunction with something else, or does it reduce my participation in and enjoyment of the hunt?  If the answer(s) is yes, I don't use it.  At least I try not to.  Of course, some may not agree with my assessments/conclusions given a particular piece of equipment, technique or practice.

A blind, for example, does tip the scale a bit in my favor.  I've hunted turkeys with binds made of natural materials.  They're obviously not mobile like a pop-up blind, and they generally don't hide one as well.  Even using a pop-up blind, it's still a challenge getting a turkey into very close range, so I consider it marginally acceptable, though I continue to feel uneasy about using one and continue to evaluate its effectiveness.

I won't use a 4-wheelers because I think they make it too easy to invade what should be a critter's sanctuary.  Animals we hunt should have times and places to which they can escape.  Out West, in particular, 4-wheelers can give the hunter an unfair advantage by enabling him to go much farther and faster than he can on foot.  In effect, to go wherever the animals are, WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT.  It's one thing to do it on foot.  It's quite another to drive to it.

I don't use them in my home state where invasion of sanctuary is less of an issue, because they simply detract from the hunting experience for me.  For me, hunting is something I do on foot.

I don't bait for deer, grow food plots or participate in quality deer management. Folks will argue the merits of these practices forever.  Whatever floats your boat.  For me, these practices dumb down the deer herd and the hunter as well.  I want to hunt wild deer on their own terms.

I don't use trail cams because I think they could give me an unfair advantage.  A lot of folks get enjoyment out of placing a camera or two in the woods just to see the wildlife that's there.  I have no problem with that.  However multiple cameras placed throughout a hunting area enable the hunter to determine where and when specific animals are moving.  It then becomes a relatively easy matter to set up to intercept them, at least much easier than if one does not have this information. Trail cams can invade an animal's sanctuary 24/7.  They can't escape them.  They have nowhere to go where they can't be tracked.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of scouting, finding sign and trying to interpret what it means, hypothesizing from a few specific clues where animals might be moving and when. Multiple cameras would make my scouting superfluous. I would no longer have the satisfaction and excitement of making correct guesses/decisions.  It would all be laid out for me.

Of course, camera fitted drones are the next "hunting tool" to come along. Don't think I'll be using any of those either.

I don't use a GPS or carry a cell phone when I hunt. I've just never found it necessary to carry a GPS.  I learned to hunt with a map and compass.  They're sufficient and require a little noodling on my part sometimes to get from one place to another.  I like that.

My cell phone doesn't work most places out West or where I do most of my bowhunting in my home state.  Even if it did, I don't think I'd carry it. Without the ability to call for help, I'm damn careful of the chances I take in the wild. Again, it's not something we had access to in times past. Can they save a life, my life?  Sure.  Maybe my self-reliance and confidence in my own resources is misplaced, but I'm not going to change it.

Of course, cellphones can be misused as a "hunting" tool as well.'  I've read of folks using them to direct their hunting buddies on stalks, or alert them to an animal moving their way, both illegal activities in this state.

I'm getting a little long in the tooth, and most of these technologies, and more I haven't mentioned, weren't around when i started hunting so I had the advantage of knowing what hunting was like BT, before technology.  I've just always liked it that way.  The more "me" I can put into the hunt and the less technology, the better I like it. In reality, mine is a disappearing view. Sort of sad to watch it go.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
For me hunting with a bow takes me back in time to a simpler, uncluttered time in my life. I use no cameras,food plots,baits etc. I dont much care if I even kill a deer anymore. Im more tuned into what I call the "ancient tones" of the woods. I feel connected to the earth and my place in it. The more junk I have the less I enjoy it. My job is precise and detail oriented so that makes my bow hunting the contrast I need for remaining centered if you will. I use a tree stand only because its a good place to sit and relax and enjoy the day.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
2x wallydog
Dan Breen

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Hunting is not a spectator (sport)... Seems that the TV shows and videos have become a reality for the younger hunters... Maybe they think if you buy enough stuff you then become a woodsman...  :dunno:

As I get older, I do carry much less "stuff" into the woods with me... I'll take my cell phone, but turn it off... Map and compass, knife, water and Pop Tarts are all I need...  :)

Love still hunting and stalking for deer... That is the hard way, and just right for me!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Easy question.......it was fun in 1967 when I started...........and it still is today! I have done it just about everyway you can do it and Trad Archery is by far the most satisfying and I have not even shot anything!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I started bowhunting in 1967 too so a lot of this equipment wasn't around. I do carry a cell phone for safety's sake,it's the responsible thing to do. Don't need GPS because it't hard to get lost where I hunt. I have a couple of climbers and ladder stands, one pop up ground blind I've never used and one modern blind chair which cost 4 times what I paid for my first hunting bow in 1967. Outside of a water bottle, extra string and stringer, granola bar and extra glove I don't carry much on a hunt. I made my face mask, haul line and holder, arrows.

As far as an ATV goes it may be in the future for me, at least Sika hunting. I'm 70 and last rifle season a friend and I dragged three Sika deer out of the marsh and it took all morning and part of the afternoon and almost killed me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
This is a good topic.  As I really don't care what another person uses I only need to satisfy myself.  I started hunting in 1966.  It took me 5 years to bag my first deer and it was the thrill of a life time!  I've used tree stands after they were invented but don't go up over 6' now.  I've improved on my binoculars.  I can't stand the sound of ATV's, cameras are for taking family photos and cell phones are fine if you don't turn them on!  If the wind is in your face deer can't smell you and if they come in from behind then God didn't want me to kill that deer I guess.  I use the arrows that fly well and still don't know what single bevel, FOC, reflex, deflex, hybrid & all that stuff means when it comes to making a clean kill.  I like being part of the past and I'll leave the future to somebody who can appreciate it.

Offline Fireman2019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
If I am just doing a day hunt then I'll bring a minimal amount of gear.  I always have my cell phone! I can shut the darn thing off if I don't want to be attached to civilization.  I normally have a gps that rarely ever gets used.  On any major hunt "most hunts in AZ have the potential to turn into a dang long nature spank anyway" I typically carry enough stuff to get me through a night or two in the woods. The GPS is invaluable when you've got an elk down, quartered and hung and need to mark where it's at so you can get back to it the next morning before it starts to heat up.  As far as a camera goes, I normally have a quality one with me.  Not so much for pics of kills but for the incredible things we see out there and want to take home for the family to see.  Bino's are your best friend out west.  I always have my 10x42 Swarovski's and if needed my 15x56's with a lightweight tripod.  I guess that hunting out west kind of necessitates having a bit more gear than hunting the woods in the midwest.  I love going back to PA and throwing a sandwich, a quart of water, knife and some Pcord in a pack and hiking to a stand.  I'll be doing just that in November, this time I'll be using my BlackWidow instead of the compound:)
Craig
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50@28”
English Walnut and Cocobolo
Black Widow PCHx 51@28"
Zircote and Tiger Myrtle

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Simplicity, nostalgia, and self satisfaction from not having 8 or 10 different things to blame a bad shot on or attribute a good shot to. And as previously stated it's fun.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »
I love rabbits around barn lots.  Been doi g that since 1958 and doing that these days take me back to days of dad, granpa and uncles unloading beagles to purse down the RR tracks
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I like gadgets that help me feel more comfortable getting off the beaten track and doing things that most men my age wouldn't dream of doing; compass, GPS, Cell-Phone, and others.

I like comfortable, well designed hunting clothes and packs that are handy and help organize my stuff.

I'm glad to have rediscovered recurves after a very long absence but tickled that there has never been a gap in my archery since I started way back at age 14 (46 years ago). I didn't suspend bowhunting for college, work, etc.

Next to actual hunting I love thinking about hunting and preparing to hunt. Things such as scouting, aerial photo work, and stand selection.

Finally, at this stage in my life I'm pleased to have a couple of great friends, a brother, and son that love to bow hunt as much as I do. I am enjoying planning hunts that I consider exotic compared to the white-tail hunting I've done most of my life.

I don't care if I seem too modern or too backwards to other hunters.

Squirrel hunting with my rim fires and bobber fishing for bluegills take me back to my pre-teens more than any other activity.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
This is a great thread, I take very little with me , flash light , knife, bottle of water face paint and you can't forget your bow. Like most Trad gangers I started with a simple stick and string. It just feels natural. I should leave the knife at home it seems like every time I forget it I shoot a deer.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I do what I do because it makes me happy and works for me.  Not trying to be short, but I just get what I like.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
I try not to take anything with me I don't really NEED. To heavy to tote!

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
I use things in accordance to having fun. It might be alot of equipment or it may be minimal. In this fast pace changing world it is nice to know I can go back in a time where they had less or try my hand at some new type of technology or something in between.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Online Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
I hunt as simply as my chosen hunting location allows. On the farms around home, that means bow, arrows, knife, file, drag rope, flashlight,  compass (for tracking) TP (mostly for tracking)and lately I do pack a cell phone. All of this fits in my pocket(s).

If I'm in the UP or out west, I may add a few more things to enhance traveling in remote areas or make an unplanned overnight camp more comfortable, but it all fits in a simple haversack.

I rarely wear camo, I privately chuckle at those who need the latest and greatest pattern.

To me bowhunting should be a simple, quiet, mostly solitary pursuit.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©