3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)  (Read 19833 times)

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
Nice shooting Aaron

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
My first trad kill wasn't necessarily unbelievable for most, but it was for me. When I got home from school, I saw a big black squirrel in the back yard that had been making a mess of the bird feeder. I had only been shooting trad for about 2 months and had never shot at an animal. I had bought some judo points the night before for stump shooting and small game. I had never shot them or anything, but I opened the package, screwed one on my arrow and slipped outside. It was super windy and the squirrel never heard me sneak out the door. I leaned around the corner of the garage and saw him sitting about 14 yards away. I tried picking a spot, but was having trouble on an all black target. The only thing I could really make out was the pink of his ear. I had read all these things about how when people make a perfect instinctive shot they don't necessarily remember it but I never really understood it until then. I don't remember a single thing after looking at that ear. The next thing I knew that squirrel was laying on the ground dead. No twitching or anything. When I went over, there was a bloody spot a half inch behind his ear. My only witness was my youngest sister, and if she was impressed, she sure didn't show it LOL.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »
I was hunting on the stock watering hole, in SD.  It was evening and the sun was about to go down.  I had maybe 45 minutes of light left. Three deer came up at 20 yards away.  They stopped and looked and then they got comfortable.  One started drinking.  The other two walked away. But the one larger doe stood there for a while.  I raise my bow, came to anchor and let arrow go.  

To my surprise it landed in the mud right between the doe's legs she was broadside.  She just looked around, was's startled and took another drink.  I pulled out another arrow, came to full draw and let that go.  I was high, I imagined from over reacting from the last shot.  When the arrow hit her she dropped straight to the ground and didn't move again.   It was a spinal hit.  I heard all the air come out of her lungs and then nothing else.   First time and last time I ever did that.  I cleaned her up and save the heart and liver.  And when I got home that's what I had for breakfast the next morning eggs and deer heart.  

But I have always remember it,  the shot that went in between the deer's legs and she didn't run away.

Carl       <------------<<<<
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
Not just my story…

On my wife Lisa’s first archery turkey hunt we were in the blind together. We spent most of the morning with a back and forth discussion about whether or not I could hit one of the many mosquitoes that were plaguing us. My position was that yes, I could probably hit one with my bow at only twelve yards but I was worried that due to their size I may not kill it and then we would be trapped in the blind with a wounded and angry blood sucker on the rampage. This is not the story.

At just after noon we got a response to my always horrible work on the box call. An apparently tone deaf Tom gobbled back at what Lisa (lovingly) calls my “horrible noise meant to scare cats and other hunters from the surrounding country”. We saw him across the field coming our way. Using my meager skill on the slate call I caused the bird (due to brain worm or a death wish) to move closer to the blind. Finally at 15 yards the bird turned quartering away and came off his strut. Lisa put an arrow behind the forward drumstick with her vintage Red Wing Hunter recurve. The bird made one big pump of his wings and crash landed a few yards into the woods. This is not really the story either.

I have never been one to leap from the blind or carom out into the field after shooting a turkey. If the hit is good, they are dead and not going anywhere… if not, my hope is that they die where they land or leave a decent enough blood trail or other obvious spore that they can be found. I have been blessed to have not lost a bird yet, including this one. Here is where the story really begins.

We left the blind and walked to where the bird indelicately lay with his wings out stretched and his neck crumpled underneath him. I took an arrow from my quiver and gave a good poke (they have those spurs for several reasons). He seemed as dead as the door nail so often talked about. I grinned at my wife as the proud husband I was. She reached down and gathered both legs in one hand to lift him. Her firm grip seemed to put life back into the bird who tried to fly away. She stood there bow in one hand and appearing to fly a living kite only feet from her astonished face. Now… Lisa is a smart gal. She dropped her bow and tried to apply both hands to the bird but it wrenched free of her grasp and (something less than) flew over the short bench and down into the flowing creek. I dropped my bow and was in hot pursuit immediately! By the time I reached the creek bank the bird was nearly across (I didn’t know turkeys could swim!). I bailed into the spring rain swollen torrent reaching to my belt for the knife there. As the bird began struggling up the far bank I drew back and threw the blade with desperation. From just over ten yards the point found home at the base of the bird’s skull killing it instantly.

Time for honesty… first I have no idea why that bird was still alive enough to make that escape. The arrow had passed all the way through the body cavity and disrupted both lungs, the heart and broke the wishbone in two. Second, I had no intention to actually skewer the turkey with the blade of the knife. My thought was to simply hit the dirt above it and slow it down enough to get hold of. I would have probably been better off grabbing a stone from the stream bed, BUT… when providence smiles, its best to smile back and make nice.

Lisa got a beautiful bird with five beards, a spectacular tail and we had Turkey Parmesan for supper.
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
I'm not sure how these things just pop in my head but I forgot to post my third most unbelievable hunting shot....I'll get that written up and post soon

I really loved this thread. Great to see what all men can do with a wooden bow without all the technology.

It's a great testimony to the diversity of  the Trad bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
I was shooting in the backyard earlier this summer when a red squirrel ran across and climbed a pole that we had leaning in the side yard. I had a judo in my quiver and I quickly nocked it. There was a big maple tree directly behind so I wasn't worried about losing the arrow. The squirrel was eating a walnut, and I decided to try and focus on hitting the walnut that he was eating since it was right in the middle of him. I drew back and pinned the squirrel to the tree. The shot was about 15 yards. Unfortunately I didn't have an audience, but I got to rub it in a little since my brother had missed him several times with his pellet rifle. When I got there, there were two chunks of walnut laying on the ground below the squirrel.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
A few years ago I was up in a tree stand hunting deer on a foggy morning. About 100 yards away I saw a coyote and I though it might be a good idea to try to get it. I gave a little mouth squeak and its head went up and it looked in my direction. It started working its way toward me. When it seemed like it was going to veer off in the brush I squeaked again and it headed straight toward me. I drew on it twice and both times I had to let down because it moved. Finally it was in a good spot at a good angle and I took the shot. When I got down out of the tree, there was a bloody arrow and one spot of blood on the ground -- but no blood trail. I found the coyote without a blood trail -- it had only gone 25 feet before it died. What made it an amazing shot for me was that it had bled out so quickly, but the pass-through shot had pulled out a bit of tissue that plugged up the exit hole so there was no blood trail. All of the blood was inside the body cavity.

TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

pavan

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
My most recent luck shot was two seasons back with a JD Berry.  I was watching a pheasant working the edge of a corn field.  Then it came out in the open and I had a nice hole to launch through the tree branches, about 85 yards.  I held high above the pheasant and released, i could see that i was going to miss to the left.  The pheasant must have been depressed, because it moved over a couple of feet and walked into my descending arrow.  No pictures, but that was the end of my hunting for the day.  I went straight out, field dressed the pheasant and went home to fire up the grill.

Offline WVFarrier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
Mine isnt as grand as most of these but i stalked this turkey for well over 2 hours to get within archery range and head shot it at 10 yards.  It was the biggest one i ever harvested
As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death i shall fear no evil, for thou art with me

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Some great stories, thank's for sharing,  I have a few in my time hunting, but to me these are my top "amazing shots".

3- This is the one that cemented the "Hill method" to me".  I had hog hunted a few times with success.  I was out again and doing some stalking, when I came across two boars fussing.  I stood by a tree, and watched waiting for a shot, when my wind must of blew and broke them up,  one ran the other turned looked in my direction and charged.  It was about 20 yards and he was coming.  I just went into the "flow" came up and placed a broadhead through the brain.  Stepped around tree and the hog which was about 230# dropped few feet passed me.  From then on sold.

2-  My hunting buddy and we was working a nice tom turkey in the spring.  As we both knelt, behind a big downed oak, he was ready with his shotgun, I had my longbow sitting on the log with arrow nocked.  We lost the Tom, in the thick foliage and sat quietly waiting.  I then could hear the drumming of the Tom, behind us.  I slowly turned and see the tom standing 12 yards behind us drumming.  I was slowly reaching for my bow, just as my hand got on it, my pal, turned to see the noise, the Tom spooked, and  turned ran and jumped in the air to fly off.  Just as he got up in the air, without thinking, my bow was up and swung with him.  The arrow went through and the bird went down 40 yards away.  I turned to my buddy and said, "Let's get him".  After we found them, we both stood there taking in what happened, and both of us wondering how I did it.  Amazing to let instinct take over.

1-  I was hunting from a tree stand, and seen some nice does come through.  As, the time passed I looked to my right, across a draw and noticed a nice ten point buck working through, about 50 yards away.  I admired him and watched him browse as he was headed toward his bedding area.  I then lost him in some think brush, I started pondering how to get to him.  After another hour (10ish) I decided it was time to get down and head back.  As I did, I cut across the draw, to move to the parking area.  I cut across his tracks and knelt down admiring them.  Just playing around I decided to sharpen my tracking skills and see if I could track him by just those.  I slowly worked, keeping mind of the wind which was perfect.  I was lost in fun of being a kid again, then I knelt back down as the track's cut those of other deer.  I was kneeling trying to figure them out and leaned forward, I happened to look to the left and at them time caught movement.  I could see a deer body get up and move just barely through the thick brush.  Then I caught a glimpse of antler, and thought "if must be him".  I then noticed the body appear to lay down.  I thought about backing out and trying to hunt this area from a stand, then I told myself, "heck, just maybe I can get him".  It was thick, so I layed down and began to "worm" through the brush.  Side note:  Always amazed, that if you get down, how open the brush is.  I could see the deer 30 yards away bedded down and after a short while, seen him lick himself and seen the antlers it was him.  I slowly, crawled closer.  I worked my way around bushes and came to a tree and got behind it.  I wanted to try and kneel for a shot, but it was to thick.  I then slowly worked my way into position, to take a laying down shot.  After about I guess, 20 minutes, I was ready.   
It was then the Buck stood up, my heart sank.  But after few minutes he bedded back down, this time little further, but had a better opening.  I recall what Mr. Hill said "if you have an 8" opening to your target take it".  I raised the bow, drew and shot.  I recall my white feathers disappearing behind the buck's shoulder, as he exploded out of the brush.  I layed there for about 30 minutes, in awe of what just happened.  I worked to where to Buck was and looked for sign.  Found some blood, but being thick, desided need help.  I marked my area, backed out, called my brother.  He showed up and about an hour of searching found a nice ten pointer with my arrow clean through him that ran 40 yards.  A great memory, thanks for letting me share.

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2022, 06:21:58 PM »
I did a search for the word unbelievable looking for a certain topic I thought had that word in it and I found this thread.  What a great category for the tradbow.  So, I thought I'd share mine.

I only have two I can really say and both were on running rabbits. I have no clue how I did it, and still can't believe I did it.  If I get a 3rd I could *category* I certifiably will.

What an absolute great read for a Saturday afternoon.  :campfire:

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2022, 08:00:47 AM »
My very best shot surprised both me and the target! There was an old groundhog that lived in an old building on my favorite farm.  He liked the farmer’s garden so the farmer asked me to kill him.  I had missed several shots at him with my old recurve, and old Jim hinted that maybe it was time to break out the .22 rifle….one day I spotted the old whistle pig with just his head sticking up from his hole but he saw me too.  I circled to the back on the building until I had a shot, but it would be very tricky - the arrow first had to pass through a 6” square opening in the hog wire fence about 5 yards from me, then squeeze through a 6” spot where one board was missing from the back of the building, about 10 yards away.  The woodchuck was another 3 yards inside the building - he was so confident that I couldn’t make THAT shot that he actually stood up, exposing his chest to me and smiling.  Well I drew back, lined up the arrow as best I could, released and watched in awe as the arrow arched through the fence opening, then through the wall opening, and into the center of that groundhog’s chest!  Neither of us could believe it, his eyes were wide with surprise, then he toppled over in slow motion!  Old Jim had witnessed the whole thing from the front porch of the old farmhouse and came over to slap my back and snap a photo of me and my trophy. 
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Vaquero 45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
I"am kinda an oldball traditionalist amoung most guys in circle of our friends in hunting group(s) . That I can remember .
Was walking down a trail in turkey season heading out with two guys behind me (who were toteing shotguns) , and I had asked them since I have a recurve bow till we go set up at our places if we ran into any turkeys . Please let me try to get a shot at them .   
    Anyhow we run rite into a large eastern and I kneel down and fire from 1970 Bear griz 56" incher which they only made for three years.
Got to take a good no rushed shot , he was faceing rite at me at like 18 yards hit him rite square in the chest and he fell over like he had been hit by "lightning " . From a kneeling position I turn around and look at  the other two guys . LOL You should have seen the look on there faces because there not "bow people " .  I said laughing "you can put your scatterguns down now men ".  They didn't think it was as funny as I did .  :laughing:

Theres some other stories I will post them individually .  Good thread btw !   :thumbsup:
"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2022, 05:04:08 PM »
Several years ago, I was hunting in a stand that I had just a few days before relocated. A doe came loping through the woods with a buck right behind her. He was about 18 or 20 yards out. He was not running particularly fast, but he was going at a steady pace. I swung through the shot like you would on a dove. As the arrow passed over the kill zone, I released, resulting in a perfect lead on the shot. Right through the lungs. Not saying I shoot like that all the time, but it sure was a good feeling.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2022, 07:45:44 PM »
With an original 60", 50# Bear B-Mag (around 1973 or 74) I shot an arrow into a huge flock of starlings flying very high overhead. My best friend and his son were with me. They were using shotguns.

As my arrow approached the flock they saw or heard it because most, all but 1-3 birds, veered away from the arrow's path.  The unluckiest of the bunch was met by my arrow. Down came the starling.  He landed 50 yards or so away.

My buddies dad asked where the arrow struck the bird. I told him right in the head.  Sure enough I fetched the bird and the arrow was midway through the bird where the beak and skull met. Of course this wasn't a great shot it was just very lucky.  I commenced to lose that arrow on the next shot into following flock.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 08:14:01 AM by Bowwild »

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2022, 08:15:08 PM »
This is a GREAT "Re-Up".  Man, great sunday read.  I realized I never entered my 3rd.  I'll get to that in a bit.  Great new additions as well guys!!!  :clapper:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2022, 08:22:51 PM »
Not really an amazing shot, but just amazed me at the total lethality of a razor sharp, well placed broadhead.  Doe in a cut hayfield, I am 17 yards away on the edge of it, where it meets a swamp.  Loosed the arrow, and I got a full pass through on her.  She didn't even flinch, just dropped where she stood after about 5-6 seconds.  It seemed like a lifetime, but she just dropped, not even a little leg wobble, just crashed right down.  She was dead on her feet, and never felt a thing.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »
I battled back and fourth over two shots, both were hogs that charged me with the motley crew in tow. The 1st one was a night, and the 2nd one was less than 48 hours later in daylight.  Then it suddenly dawned on me why I couldn't choose, they were basically one and the same as they both where shot with the not so soon before late Chris Surtees's bow his dad Larry had given me. So, I have to list them both as a tie for my 3rd.

If anyone is bored or stuck at the airport, you would be hard pressed to find a better hunting story to read.  This thread is full of hero pics of all kinds from many Tradgangers and a memorial for Chris and a donation presented raised by Tradgangers for his kids.  Chris's dad Larry was on the hunt with us.

https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=53483.0

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: April 26, 2022, 07:03:41 AM »
So.. only two that I can think of that were extra special.

First was a coyote from the ground at about 25 yards.. I was in Kansas tucked tightly in to two cedars that had grown together and hunting from the ground.. I had cut a small hole to see/shoot through.
I couldn't see anything coming from the left.. dirt road crossing.. heavy deer traffic, and was relying on hearing hooves on the gravel to get ready.. my wife was sitting off to the side on a cooler to attempt to video. After a number of false starts.. thought I heard them coming and signaled for my wife to get ready, a coyote just showed up in my shooting window. I didn't take the time to let her know and let rip with a deadly arrow. Yote piled up in about 50 yards!

Second: While hunting elk/mule deer with a friend in New Mexico, we decided to take a break and hunt turkeys one afternoon. I was all camoed up, but had a full quiver of pink feathers and leaning against a tree. My friend Jamie and his son were off in the bushes doing the calling when I heard noises to my left. As I turned my head to see, I noticed three turkeys moving in the grass. In the fall, any bird is legal so I didn't have to concern myself with size or sex, but just making the shot.
The birds quickly became nervous.. apparently they had heard about me!  :goldtooth: I turned quickly and shot all in the same motion and the result was a jake doing summersaults from a fatal shot through the hips!
I'm not sure who was the most amazed.. My friend, the turkey, or Me... :biglaugh:
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
As with some of the others here I've been bowhunting 57 yrs and have made several shots that make a guy just say wow! Here's one, 1973 North Dakota mule deer, shooting my Bear T/D 75#. I had just gotten out of the Air Force the year before I was stationed in So. Cal. for 3 years shooting NFAA field rounds about every weekend so maybe this isn't unbelievable be still a great memory. I spotted 2 bucks over a hill and the stalk was on, I had to crawl on my belly so they wouldn't see me pushing my bow a head of me as I went. When I was about 50 yds away I realized that my next bow push was going to hit a jackrabbit I hadn't seen and as our eyes met I could see the panic in his. He jumped and straight to the deer he ran, I got to my knees and shot missing high as the buck bounced away. Without thinking the second arrow was on the string and on the way at a stopped buck looking back, I watched as the arrow arched over the bucks back and then dropped right into the middle of his chest. He did a mule kick ran a small circle and went down. I walked off the distance at 75 paces.
The second and third are about the same.  1988 and 1989, shooting a 75# ASL ( I shot 70'" ASL's from 1980-1992)I was antelope hunting in Wy and trying to put down a gut shot buck. The rancher had saddled his horse and was keeping the buck moving around the pasture trying to push it by myself or another guy. I got in front of it and when it saw me it turned on the after burners coming by at about 35 yds, I drew, pulled ahead of it and shot, hitting the buck right behind the front shoulder. The rancher commented saying that was the luckiest shot he had ever seen.
As luck would have it I was on the same ranch again, same senerio, only this time the rancher came to my blind and got me. We pushed this one until I could get in front of it and made the shot at about 40 yds running flat out but this time I hit it right in the middle and it went down . The rancher said another bowhunter(compound guy "well known" had told him it couldn't be done) but He saw it 2 years in a row and was a beleiver!
There are more, a turkey strutting for an hour at 50-60 yds, I had to leave so I told the guy with me I'd shot for the head and scare it so we could go. I shot and the gobbler took a delta thru the head and went down... distance 51 yds.
And then the time... No just say things go right sometimes and we are blessed!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©