3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)  (Read 19836 times)

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your MOST Unbelievable HUNTING shot(s)
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2014, 05:13:00 AM »
Hello There

My Humble participation :

I was hunting black bear in Quebec fews years ago .
My freind had set a tree machan between three differents trees .
I heart and saw that bear passing under my platform going toward the bait that was 12 yards away , i wait for a good position for the shot and release an arrow that seems to be really good , the bear run full speed to where he was comming but as i was watching him he never make it on the other side of the platform , instead he decided to climb on one of the trees where my platform was fixed !!!
I was just getting out from a bad accident on a motocycle and i just spent 3 years on cast and crutches , i did not want to jump from that hight no way ; that bear stops when he saw me , he was so close that i could reach it with my hand , but he is just there looking at me , i start very slowly to get an arrow from my quiver , i managed to get that arrow on the string very slowly , to get to full draw and released this arrow which went right throught behind the shoulder , after fews seconds his head mooved from one side to the other then he let go and crash on the ground.
This poor bear was so surprised to see me there that he never mooved during all the process .
I could not imagine, one day, to shoot at a bear so close .

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
I just made an unbelievable shot, we were frog hunting Saturday night,(my girlfriend with a gig and me with my bow.)  we had been around the pond a few times and the frogs were wising up and jumping in before we could get close.
 on a clear bank was a monster bull with eyes shining the size of dimes,  we were on our way out and I thought I might as well try a long shot of about 10 yds. the frog was sitting facing the bank and i drew and released the arrow with a hammerhead on the end and nailed him right through the head and anchored him dead on impact into the mud.(my girlfriend said : (your pretty amazing with that bow)...I just grinned an said.
  yaa..that was a good shot, as I held up my trophy bullfrog .

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I have two shots up for consideration for my most unbelievable shot.  I shot my turkey last April at 31 yards in the neck sitting behind my umbrella ground blind. It was one of those shots that engulfs the spot your looking at.  I didn't want to wound him at that range, so I looked at a small crease at the base of his neck and let my arrow fly. Needless to say, he dropped and flapped once. My next shot was a doe I missed at 14 yards.  I was standing behind a pinion and "double clutched" my release, sending my arrow several feet high.  THAT was pretty unbelievable as well.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
It seems like you know it's gonna be a great shot just before it happens!
The first time I felt it was at about 9-10 years old. I was out shooting whatever I could when I noticed a pigeon land on the barn roof. From where I stood, without creeping closer, I drew back my fiberglass bear 20lb bow and sent a mismatched arrow at that pigeon. Distance must have been close to 40-50 yards. I was hoping it was going to find it's mark because a miss meant a leaking roof! I hit that pigeon perfectly and killed him cleanly.
My best on a deer was a little buck that came to rattling horns. He smelled me and was getting ready to leave. He was pretty far out and down hill at an awkward angle for me. I had just a sliver of an opening in the brush for just a second. The little Morrison longbow somehow came to full draw and my arrow was gone. Like an arching guided missile it dropepd right into the little tennis ball sized opening passing through the deer's heart with almost no friction. The Magnus 2 blade was deep in the dirt on the other side. He ran off and crashed in a few seconds. The blood trail was heavy. I paced it off later at 48 yards. I doubt I could get within a foot of that in 10 shots most days. But that day I had no doubt.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Last night a couple of buddies and I went frogging at another friends house. I was the only armed person so I got to take all of the shots. On our last pass around the pond, we spotted a good sized bull frog sitting in between the bank and the water. I looked at my buddy who was holding the light and told him I was going to try and take the long 15+ yard shot. When I got the arrow nocked the frog took off up into the grass on the bank so I decided to shoot at the last place I saw him for kicks and giggles.
As soon as I let go I heard the arrow whack him. I'm glad my buddies were there because nobody would believe that I shot a frog that I couldn't see, in the head, at over 15 yards. One of them kept calling it a legendary shot!

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
OK, I'll play.  It was about 20 years ago and I was living in WV and I had just started using trad bows.  The week before I had shot right over a nice 10 pointer at 11 yards!  Made me sick. Talk about not picking a spot.  The next week I was hunting public land using a borrowed 50# Hummingbird longbow and I was standing downwind of a well used deer trail.  I looked to my left and saw a coyote coming around a bowl and headed in my direction.  I got the bow up in case he came close and remember saying to myself "I'll never get drawn without him seeing me".  He came through a blow down and was heading right for me with no cover between us.  At 12 yards he made a 90 degree turn and was moving from my right to left.  I drew, anchored and picked a spot right behind his shoulder and let loose.  I'm sure I was trying to watch the arrow fly and get my bow hand out of the way to do so, because my arrow missed it's mark by about 8 inches to the left of where I was wanting it to go.  But it hit him right at where his neck met the front of his shoulder.  He let out a yipe and a growl in the same breath and fell over a log as he was trying to get at the arrow.  I could hear him rolling around for a while but couldn't see him.  Then all was quiet.  I nocked another arrow and eased up to the log and he was dead on the other side.  Never ran off.  I had to carry that flee ridden dog over a mile to get to my car.  That was my first trad kill.  Made a beautiful hide.  Terrible shooting but I'll never forget it.

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
This one has everything to do with luck, and nothing to do with skill or competance...
Two years ago was my first full season hunting with trad gear. I had had a bountiful season killing a few sika does, a turkey and a big pig. I had a full freezer but couldn't get enough of recurve hunting and found myself in a tree again in doe season in Jamuary. About 15 minutes before dark, a doe came out at about 30 yards. She was extremely skiddish, and I knew she wasn't going to come any closer so I raised my bow, tried to pick a spot, then cut loose. The doe jumped the string, wheeled towards me and dropped in her tracks the instant my arrow got there. It was getting close to dark when I took the shot, and I thought I had hit her in the white throat patch. She barely kicked when she went down, but I nocked another one and put it in the boiler room just in case (my second arrow actually missed, third went into the goodies - full disclosure). When I got out of the tree and went over to take a look, I saw my first arrow had hit her directly in the nose/mouth, gone through her mouth, and buried deep in the spinal cord. She was dead before she hit the ground. I was using a 2 blade broadhead, and it hit in the vertical position leaving a 1/2" cut on the nose dead center. I'm really not proud of this kill at all, and had a pretty bad feeling afterwards. But, as fast as a small TX hill country doe moves in Late January, this shot had to be as lucky as it would have been for me to Howard Hill a quarter in the air at 30 yards...

Figured I'd add one to the pot in hopes of encouraging more posts since I've read evry post on this thread...

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
#3 My second shot ever with a trad bow.  Back when I shot wheel bows (15 years ago) I was at Clyde's Archery in Corpus Christi when I saw an older fellow shooting a recurve with wood arrows.  I stopped to watch and was amazed and how he could shoot so well with such a primitive looking piece of equipment.  He looked over and asked me if I would like to try it.  "SURE!!"  He pulled up a shooting butt to about 10 yards and gave me some instruction.  Which fingers to use, how to look at where you are aiming, etc.  I shot my first arrow and hit pretty much the center of the bale.  He said "now, shoot at the first arrow and only look and concentrate on it"....Yep.  I robin hooded the first arrow.  Needless to say, I was hooked.

#2  Was mule deer hunting in Colorado and had not had much luck.  I had to leave early the next day so I decided to stay in camp that evening and fish for rainbows in the lake near us.  I was with my hunting buddy and we had caught quite a few fish when we saw a mule deer doe drinking from the lake.  We were in a canoe and it was not the best platform to shoot from- we just kind of slowly paddled closer and closer.  Anyway, I don't know how far the shot was but probably farther than I should have taken.  I concentrated on a dark spot behind her shoulder and released.  The arrow arched in and missed the tiny spot by about an inch.  She went 20 yards and piled up.

#1 I was hog hunting in South Texas up in a tri-pod and it was very close to dark.  I could only see about 15 yards.  I pig came walking down the sendero and in that few minutes since I first saw him it was now truly dark.  I could only see his outline.  I had cut only one shooting lane through the brush and he would not make it to that hole before I would  not be able to see him at all.  He was about 10 yards and the only way I could shoot through the only small opening I now had available  was to turn my bow horizontally and pick a spot at the shadow that was the pig.  Upon release he made a squeal and when we found him (about 50 yards later) the arrow was directly behind his front shoulder.  Better lucky than good I guess...
There's more but I think I've used up my time!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
TTT.    Let's keep this going!   :campfire:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
This would be my first post. I shot a doe last year that not only jumped the shot but turned into the arrow and took it directly in the neck. She tumbled backwards and did not move. I shoot a 60# Martin Hunter.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
This one was less than ten feet and closing.

You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
That's something there^^^

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:  

Keep 'em coming!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:00 AM »
Let's bring this one back to the top for the coming seasons. Hopefully I'll have one to share soon.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I have never made a shot on game as spectacular as most of you guys, but the shot I made on my Mule Deer last year could only have been made with a traditional bow. It was only a 12 yard shot, but I was on my knees, hunched way low, shooting over a log, and under a very low hanging pine tree. The gap was maybe 10 inches.  The bow was almost completely horizontal.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
A couple of years ago on our Feb. rabbit hunt this big cottontail ran by me in high grass and I took him running, pinning him to the ground with a blunt. Totally reactive, instinctive shot. Morrison ILF riser and BF Extreme limbs.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Glad this came back up, I missed it this summer. Great thread enjoyed all the stories.

The one that comes to my mind is during our 2007 deer season. I had hunted hard for a buck I was interested in taking. I had seen him a two occasions and he kept alluding me. The reason I tell you this is if not for this want I most likely never would have taken the shot at him that I did.

On one evening of mid September I was perched in a large tree in the core of his area in a creek bottom. At deerthirty I see deer coming down the deep banked creek my stand was located on. The creek funneled the deer around a corner and the pinch was made by a field edge 40 yards from the creek in this bend.

The deer were still in their bachelor groups at this time of the year and the first one I could make out was a smaller 8 point this deer had been hanging with. I knew there were other behind him so I stood and readied myself for the moment of truth.

The small 8 made his way down the trail past me. The other buck of the three party group was not far behind, and directly behind him I could see my buck bringing up the rear as usual. The second deer got to about 16 yards from me on the trail and locked up. I think he got a whiff of something that was lurking down the trail high in a tree.

Well he was the cork in the bottle so to speak and although not spooky freaked out I could tell he got just enough that he wasn't going to proceed. My buck about 10 yards behind was looking around like what in the heck is the problem.

At this the spoiler buck turned around and was still trying to figure it all out. My buck turned as well broadside and stopped thankfully. Well what makes this an unbelievable shot in my mind is that the other buck was 6-10 yards in front of my buck and the total distance was 26 yards to where my buck was standing. I normally would never take a 26 yard shot and especially not with another deer close in front or behind.

But in my desired state of this deer and against my better judgement, I drew and released one. The arrow flew true and I watched as it went over the first deers back missing him by about a foot. It then slammed through my bucks boiler room and they both took off. I found the deer about 100 yards up the creek. Am pretty proud of that shot but most likely would never attempt it again.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Nice ones !

Roger, try that shot with a compound, sights and a release !

I almost got to make a great shot last night.

Buck came in at last light, turned off the trail about 40 yards out and went to another trail behind me.  My shot would have been thru a screen of brush, deflected off a poplar that I cleared for that very purpose, across and then down an open area we call "the alley" and bam, heart shot on the deer.

Unfortunately the buck caught my scent cause the wind shifted at the last minute and I never took that shot.  Maybe tomorrow ?

:knothead:  

CHuckC

Offline archeryprof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
It was 1964. I was 10 years old hunting alone out on the edge of my then small town to hunt big game--mainly lizards, ground squirrels or rabbits.I was armed with my green Pearson solid fiberglass bow with the brown plastic handle rated at 30 lbs. and three cedar shafted arrows tipped with crimped on field points which I carried in the back pocket of my jeans. I shuffled down an old overgrown gravel road bordered by a field on one side and a treeline on the other with power lines following the road.I bent down and picked up an unusual looking smooth round stone about the size of a golf ball which I decided to add to my rock collection I kept at home.Going along I came to a gap in the treeline and spied a lone starling perched on the telephone wire.Without hesitation I reached into my pocket and reared back and threw that rock with all of the strength a 10 year old arm could muster.It smacked the bird square with a dull WHOP! and he fell through a small puff of feathers and tumbled to the ground-- stone dead.Literally!     Oh---I never did shoot anything with my bow that day.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I love it Archeryprof!! I killed a mockingbird at age 8 or so that same way. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©