3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Safari  (Read 402 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Safari
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks to Trad Archer of Oregon for yet another great shoot.  Next year the shoot will be in western Canada, and my wife and I intend to go.  If you have not been out west and need an excuse-this may be it!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Mike Schlegel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Safari
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
What Skip said - great shoot and setting!
Life Member Idaho State Bowhunters
Life Member PBS
Senior Member Pope & Young Club
Life Member RMEF
Member Compton
Cari-bow Wolverine 54@28 "go to" bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Enjoyed the shooting, meeting new and old friends, and also seeing a number of new things.  Some of the new things made a dent in my wallet, like a Mollegabet bow made by John Strunk from what I believe he said was a Danish design, very unusual and counter-intuitive, but the fastest non-fiberglass bow I've ever shot, and nock and shaft tapering tools by Tim, which I'm still in the process of figuring out, and when I do I will use to make some arrows for the new bow.  (Do you think that could be a record for the longest run-on sentence ever posted on Trad Gang?)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
McDave you snagged a Strunk Mollie!!  Holy cow that must be some bow!!  You must post pics!  Or email em to me and I will!!  It's my handle @gmail.com if you need to.  John is a master of masters.  Those ancient design Mollegabet bows are sweet and indeed smokers.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Glad the weather cooperated. It was cool to see that young man come by and purchase a Liberty Classic from Allen and then hit 5 of 5 with it on the "bow birds".  That Classic is a "shooter"! Got to shoot the course with Wes Wallace. It was good to get to know him a little. Was able to help out some folks with arrows. Good place to set up a course. Fun time.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
I really think when you have a shoot set up at a ski resort, and place all the targets on top of the mountain. You really should have the ski lift open.

There were a lot of folks that couldn't shoot that whole course due the amount of hiking needed to get up to the targets..... There was a shot gun start both days requiring even more hiking. If you weren't in half decent shape it was a tough pull.

I managed to shoot all 60 targets without loosing any of my new arrows Snag.... But i did need to re work a couple tips after shooting logs.   :rolleyes:  ..... Sunday i shot terribly.

The long distance shoot was a moose on the side of the ski slope at 115 yards. I put 3 arrows out of 12 into that thing on saturday. Two of them were within 10-12" of the dot too.... The winner put an arrow 2" off the spot and claimed half the $186.00 pot.... That was fun....

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »
Nice pics Kirk!  Sorry I missed this one...maybe.

It looks like I could have emptied the wallet and stretched a few muscles.  Beautiful country for sure!

Those Oregon folks sure know how to put on an event!
Lon Scott

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Yeah, if you hiked up to the top it was a bit hard for some folks. That's why we had shuttle trucks to take those folks up to the top. Rich Thompson made sure to announce this before we started from the lodge. By the way, thanks Rich Thompson and Kevin Thompson and all the other folks who worked endlessly to make this a good time for all. As I was hooking up a flatbed trailer with 3D targets in it to take off the site Rich was still making sure the large target trailer was getting loaded. Everytime I looked around when in the lodge, whether at 7 am or at dinner time, Nancy Doran and her helpers were making sure people's needs were being taken care of.
That trailer I hauled down into Eugene had a big muley buck with a real 5X5 antler rack on him. As he looked out over the sides of the trailer sides he was met with many confused or startled stares from motorists!    :biglaugh:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Sorry I missed the shoot. I had planned on going but it would have been a long haul for me from Sun City, Az. by myself. I even made matched arrows for the shoot. Knowing myself I would have spent more time talking than shooting. Getting to meet the Bowyers and Fletcher's I  only read about would have been great.
Maybe next time,

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
This was the first Longbow Safari for me, days off for hunting always seemed to get in the way of it?  
Got to spend time with some good friends, and met plenty more,
Larry Fischer, introduced me to John Strunk, the guy builds some fantastic selfbows.
Also came home with a Tim's Tapering Tool, sander and both jigs, getting it figured out is a priority for next week!
Had a great time!,
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the report...I am patiently waiting to get in touch with Bert Frelink to sort out how one of his bows and I can live in the same house...looking forward to meeting some or all of you next year wherever it may be...I shot my first woodie in about 50 years the other day and it sure felt like more...if any of you remember Richard Hill and Tim Ball who used to attend regularly they are from my home town and I see them fairly often

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Hi Chuck, this is for you:

The close-up shows the limb tip, which is really the unusual part of this bow.  It seems counter-intuitive to me that increasing the mass of the limb tip would increase the speed of the bow.  But I have another John Strunk bow that has a more conventional limb tip, but is very similar in all other respects, and the Mollegabet definitely shoots faster, enough faster that it is obvious without running it through a chrono.  I don't have an explanation for it, but it sure is fun to shoot!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Sweeeeet!!!  That is too cool, Mollie bows are neato, but a Strunk!!  Just a big wow.  Dual shelf?? Lol
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Dave,
John brought that bow over and showed it to me, the built up tips go against all the rules. I wished I had asked to shoot it.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©