3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got a new prototype bow, think I found the one!  (Read 479 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Got a new prototype bow, think I found the one!
« on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
This afternoon, I got in the prototype of Mark Daniels' three-piece static recurve as seen on the Bowyer's Bench.  He and I struck a deal as I wanted an all-weather bow and he was gonna sell it on the auction site.  I strung it up and picked up my arrows for my horn bow, and walked outside to try it out.

It was 43#@28" but I had 32"arrows, so I tried it @32" and I and my target both were blown away.  On two separate shots it blew through a 40# bale of wrapping plastic and cardboard.  Both arrows embedded themselves in the ground.  It's easily the fastest thing I've ever seen.

Arrow setup is Expedition Hunter 7595 full length with 3 4" parabolic feathers, stuffed with packing peanuts and tipped with a 250 grain field point to simulate arrowheads built with tangs instead of sockets.  They fishtailed out of the bow like they were 1535s.  I'm gonna look at some footed setups and try a lower FOC with a higher overall weight and see what I get.  Keep watching this thread, and chime in if you've got any ideas about arrow setups.  I'll be updating to try and get some more info about this bow.  Mark is going to be making more of these, and if I were you I'd be lining up for one.

Looks good, doesn't it?  It's a real beauty.  I'm on the hunt for someone close by with a chronograph, if anyone knows PM me so I can get it measured.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got a new prototype bow, think I found the one!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Ed,
Why does this pic look like you're shooting right handed but the shelf and arrow appear to be on the right side of the riser?  I'll admit that my eyes aren't those of the eagle any more, but I've only had two beers this evening, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Nope, you see it right.  I shoot thumb style, with a thumb ring the way all of Asia shoots, as my instruction was in the use of static recurve bows instead of American style.  In addition, I crushed my right hand in my college days leaving me only able to shoot thumb.  It's that way or the highway for me.

Archer's paradox works differently upon thumb style, and spine is largely irrelevant in that school of archery.  Many forms don't even have a word for spine.  With this bow centershot, I don't have one anymore, either.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
Thank you, I though it was time to swear off the beer, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Ed. .  awesome, glad you found a bow you can shoot.  Looks like a keeper to me.
CHuckC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Nice looking bow.  Though spine may not make as much difference, the fishtailing would indicate that it makes some.  i think a lighter spine may be in order.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©