3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tab is tearing me up  (Read 661 times)

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
tab is tearing me up
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
I got a new tab (new Hoyt Dorado too:)) it's a black widow 3 under leather tab. i have already trimmed the heck out of it but it still keeps tearing my face up... the leather is super stiff and sharp, i have tried nocking the edge off with a small file but it hasn’t helped... any suggestions? i like the clean release of a tab but i always seem to have this problem no matter what tab i use or how much i trim... i had to switch back to my glove last night because my face was bleeding :/
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tab is tearing me up
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
You need a Soft tab.  If you anchor high up on your face at all you need the tab to conform to your face.  The BW is too rigid of a tab.  Neet makes one you might try.  I would get the calf hair.  Not sure where you could get one.

http://www.neetarcheryproducts.com/product/n-mt
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Ok, I do have a high anchor...

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I was having the same problem recently, I decided to move my anchor point from my index finger behind upper canine to thumb joint behind my jaw bone.  I also think this helps keep me from collapsing.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
2bird

Don't feel alone! I shoot 3 under and have always had the same problem. I have been using the cordovan finger stalled super glove or the 3R dura glove
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2bird:
I always seem to have this problem no matter what tab i use or how much i trim... i had to switch back to my glove last night because my face was bleeding :/
Believe it or not but it is impossible to hurt your face with any tab if you had a clean release, just not possible.  the problem must be with your form, torque on string, not expanding at release so not getting a clean release.

I'm not the expert but had similar issue and once I was taught correct form and expanding back to release issue stopped. If string hand and tab come back toward shoulder how could they hurt your face?  I just started shooting a stiffer Cordovan 3 under tab without issue.

Just my opinion, just trying hard to learn correctly.  A soft tab just lets you be more comfortable while not having correct form.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
I never have any problems with a glove just only tabs... What if I sewed a think peice of leather where i place my string on my glove? Do you think i could get the same release as a tab - the pain?

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Make your own soft tab either from cordovan or regular leather...very simple.  Been shooting my own tabs for many Decades...not just years! tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Without seeing what you are doing (form) or how your tab fits (tippit's pictures are good for fit!) it will be impossible to really help.  I will repeat something I say a lot though,  "IF something hurts or is hurting you, SOMETHING is wrong!"  AND it is most likely NOT the equipment!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I will work on posting some picture/video of my form and tab fit. I would not doubt that maybe my tab is not fitting correctly.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
So I wasn't able to make a video tonight but I did make a quick deer skin tab, no possible way could deer leather hurt me (well my face anyway, fingers is a different story lol).... Well the pain was not AS bad but I still had noticeable smacking to my face... Think it's my string, I'm guessing when I wear a glove there is more of a gap between the string and my face and with a tab well not so much... I know I anchor close to my face, I use to have a problem with ripping my nose off with my string until I started turning my head more towards my bow arm. I wonder if I turn my head farther to the left if this whole tab issue might just go away?

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Never mind my last, I decided that either a tab is going to work with my current anchor or I will just shoot a glove as I am very comfortable where I'm at now and it works... So I decided to trim some more, if I trimmed to much oh well maybe I would get lucky... I did, it now works perfect with no pain. I never thought I would have to trim that much off but it works.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
Ha finally figured out how to post a pic lol

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
Is it the scraping of your face that you are feeling?  I remember when I first went to a tab, I tried to cover my fingers completely.  The edge near my eye would occasionally catch my glasses & flip them off.

Never shot one of those...but it looks like the square edges might be stiff & sharp.  If you are ready to throw it out, try breaking those edges down by rolling & flexing or just trim them round.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
I have had zero issues with this tab may be because the corners are rounded. The tab in the pic looks like the edge is sharp.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3-fingers+under+cordovan+tab_iTC3X_baseitem.html
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
I will defiantly be rounding the edges

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Here is one.  

http://www.3riversarchery.com/fred+eichler+3-under+cordovan+leather+shooting+tab_i5075X_baseitem.html  

It would be easy to trim.  When I tried the BW tab the issues was on my cheek, and due to the stitching I could not trim it smaller.  

I have made many tabs like the one that Tippit showed.  They work very well.  Having a tight anchor into my face is important to accurate shooting for me.  I like my hand into my cheek tight, and the edge of a tab is like a BLADE!  Ouch!  

Today, I shoot a $12.00 Neet soft glove, as I like that better for my hunting needs, and see no changing in the future.  Tabs do give you a great release.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Call Ol'e Buff Archery/Richard Brotzman. I've tried all the "popular" 3 under tabs and his elk leather with nylon overlays tab is without question the nicest 3 under tab I've ever used. Super soft, but super slick at the same time. I just bought 5 of them so I have a lifetime supply. If American Leathers made a tab, it would be just like these. He's old school, no website. But he has a brochure. He even makes atlatl points, if you're into that. His number is 785-494-2797.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©