3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cari-Bow Tuktu EX speed  (Read 1988 times)

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cari-Bow Tuktu EX speed
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
I have Tuktu EX 51#@27" I went and bought a chronograph for giggles and laugh I shot the Tuktu through it. I was shooting 510gr arrow and a SBD string. I was surprised to get 170-172 FPS from it. I looked faster to my eye. What do you think a little slow or good for 10gr per per pound?
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cari-Bow Tuktu EX speed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Does the chronograph need calibrated?

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
I would be very surprised that you only got that out of it.When I got my Tuktu { at least 13 yrs ago] I ran it through the crony and got 200 even.
I just got done shooting the pass around bow and I would say it's a bit faster than my taiga,and its no dog.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
That seems slow for 10gpp Jeff.  I would expect at least 10+ fps more than that for that bow.  Are you within the recommended brace height range?   7.5-8"?  Abe told me that bow will even shoot nice at 7.25", which is what I was doing...and at your 27" draw that might up the speed.     Your chrono might need calibration?  I thought it was a very quick bow.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
The Chronograph is brand new.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown

Offline jmahma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
At 27 inches of draw and 10gpp that's not too bad at all. 27 inch draw is the magic number here.
(may-ma)

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
There can be a host of reasons it shot that speed. I was cronying a buddies bows about 9 of them he was getting ready for our elk hunt and was testing for a backup bow. He draws a measured 28.5" and his speed seamed low to me and then I shot his bows and got the same speed as him my draw is 26.5" he has a static release and I do not he and I both think it was in the release. Also cronies have a plus or minus and the light can vary the readings. I shoot a Blackwidow CHX 56" 53@28 and my arrows weigh 517gr they shoot 177fps@my 26.5" draw.     Widow

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by jmahma:
At 27 inches of draw and 10gpp that's not too bad at all. 27 inch draw is the magic number here.
I thought about it and he makes a good point..^  
But I still think it should be a bit faster.  The 60" Tuktu should be no problem for a 27" draw, I was shooting it at around 29" and I felt I was at the upper end of its sweet draw spot, you should be working the limbs plenty.  Try a 7-7.25" brace height and see what speed you get.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Are you sure you are getting back to 27"?  How about your release?  do you creep before you release?

I had a friend who thought he had a 28 inch draw but really it was 25 when we measured.

I would also add, 177 is plenty fast enough to kill a deer.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
A new chronograph doesn't automatically mean it's calibrated and accurate. Lots of digital equipment is off some when brand new. It's a guess.

The fingers release is a notorious source of speed loss in a bow. It's not the bow's fault in that case. Shoot it with a release and see how the speed compares. My bow are significantly faster when I shoot 3-under vs split...I get a far better and cleaner release.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Sounds about right to me and I've run about 50 traditional bows over a chronograph.  Lots of the numbers I see posted are dramatically inflated.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
It's all in the draw length.I draw 27" and was no where near the speed of my buddy with a 30" draw.He shot faster then I even with a bow 15# lighter then mine.For a 27" draw at 10 GPP,thats sounds good to me.I remember years back we shot some arrows through a chrono.We did not weigh his  arrows but he was shooting a POC wood arrow on a Cari-bow Featherhorn longbow,55#@28 drawn to 30" and he got 205 fps through the chrono.I shot a 700 gr. maple arrow from a 21st Century Nova 73#@27 and got 192 fps out of it.We basically shot through the chrono to see if we were consistent in our draw.

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
I will try again tomorrow. I don't want to test it with a hook that is not real life for me.
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
The tuktuEX 60" on a shooting machine gives 182-183 fps for 10gpp @28" and 7 1/4" brace height
For 27" cut 3-4 fps
For a pair of string silencers (wool)  -2 fps
For average hand clean release -4
For 1/4" brace height higher -1 fps ( +1 fps if reducing BH by a 1/4")
Plus, TD 2 piece are little slower than one piece model something in the 1-2 fps

That speed 172 fps for 10 gpp @ 27" seems the realistic one to me.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
That proves out. I just shot it today through the chronograph. I made sure the light was right and I was drawing it to full draw The chronograph say 180-181 for 10gpp@27"
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Now we're talkin!     :clapper:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 05:52:00 AM »
No way...
Read the gpp low and corresponding speed on left on the blue line.
This is the work or the French trad bow hunting association (ATO) on the tuktuEX TD , hooter shooter, 2 chrono in line and artificial light mounted on chrono. 28" draw length AMO ( 26.25" from string to pivot point) 7.25" DL

On this one you can see where this bow is really outstanding : the blue dotted line is the effort line: from 14.5" draw length to close to 31" the bow is getting less than 2.6# per inch of draw on a very constant way for a 51#@28"  bow ( the light blue horizontal line is the 2,6# per inch of draw  mark line)
From 30 to 31" of draw, the bow poundage increase is just 2,8# and it is just a wood and glass 60" AMO bow !

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
Take a look at Pete Ward's website...Pete has been chronographing bows for a long time and he uses a three under dead release confirmed by his wife, Pat...Pete had been doing it for years to achieve the consistent results he does with great attention to detail...Pete has a history of testing Abe's bows and I wonder if he might not have another of the Tuktu EX in the future

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
I believe Blackie Schwarz often tests bows with both mechanical and finger release and gets consistently higher velocities with the mechanical version...the only meaningful numbers for personal use are those we shoot with our typical release...I have about a 30 inch draw which often raises my numbers somes...I once shot one of my 1960 Kodiaks over my Chrony getting three identical readings of 185 fps in the morning...I shot the same bow for three shots in the afternoon getting three identical readings of 180 fps indicating that I was drawing the bow consistently shorter for some reason, or maybe just using a deader release...for checking my consistency I like Technohunt which registers the velocity of each shot...when I am getting good releases I vary about 5 fps over 40 shots...when I am a bit sloppy I can easily vary 10...a chronograph is only one indicator of bow performance...btw if you want to see and interesting force draw curve take a look at Pete Ward's recent results with the Border Covert Hunter...truly amazing

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »
I don't own a chronograph, simply because I'm not focused to any extent on speed data. I've been around them enough to see/know that a bad fingers release can cost 8-10 fps. The only true way to know the bow's capability is via shooting machine removing all human variables.

fwiw: Many years ago we used to do nothing except practice our release some days. It made a difference in accuracy...we didn't spend any time measuring speed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©