3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASAT camo ?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASAT camo ?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
On ground at 6 yds while he made a rub facing me.  Never even looked at me.

Tree at 8 yds.  Never looked at me.  

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
I am going to give ASAT the go this upcoming season. I appreciate the feedback from you guys. I was skeptical about wearing it for turkeys though, but several of you guys have had great success with it in the spring, I am just gonna have to get out of my "Mossy Oak" mindset. I will let you know how it turns out.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
I love ASAT. Have the leafy suit and its worked great for hunting anything when im not moving around.
Just got the ASAT in First Lite camo for spot n stalk. FIrst Lite is top notch, not too thick, easy to layer, its machine washable and not terribly expensive for me.

First Lite gives a great discount to current and former members of the military so everyone knows. Just a great company, and ASAT is the best pattern made in my opinion
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Scott88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
ASAT works! I have two leafy suits,and lightweight shirts and pants for the early season,sometimes in the early bow season,it's so hot down here,I wear shorts and a neutral color T-shirt under my leafy suit and I'm good to go.Best camo pattern made IMO

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 08:54:00 AM »
Here's our routine. We wear the ASAT leafy suit early season to late season. In the early season we can layer it over anything from shorts and t shirts when it's hot to heavier camo. When the leaves drop, we wear the ASAT leafy over our Pred Fall Grey. We walk to and from the tree wearing the leafy suit. Take it off before we climb up and have the great Fall Grey camo that blends perfectly in Nov/Dec when there's no leaves. We then climb down, put on the leafy suit and walk out. I know that camo is not everything but when you can walk by squirrels and have deer walk right up to you, it's a good thing.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I have worn the safety green shirts under my leafy  top and almost gives top a green apperence which blends well in the early season.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Living "just around the corner from you", I have to say that ASAT is good camo. But, I think especially fleece and wool is not necessarily the right choice for Southern Indiana.
In comparison to out west, we have way too many sticker burrs and thorn bushes around here.
Unless you hunt exclusively in old growth forest with hardly any undergrowth, I would skip these materials, unless you like to pick off burrs for hours or rip holes into your expensive wool clothing.
For this reason, I like to do the following:
Use Stick & Limbs Camo outerwear as an outer wear layer. It is a tough and smooth poly-cotton blend, is quiet, does hardly pick up sticker burrs,is affordable, readily available and made in the USA. It is cheaper than the Mossy Oak etc. offerings at Bucks & Jakes or other local big box outdoor stores. You can also buy the fabric separately to sew custom pieces.
It doesn't look to the civil eye like 100% camo and thus can be worn with jeans all year long so you always have broken in clothing you are used to. And believe me, this camo works in almost every terrain unless you move abruptly.
Under the wear layer you can layer up and wear more delicate fabrics depending on the outer temperatures. This system is very versatile in almost every temperature range from hunting elk out west in September to hunting whitetails from October into December in Southern Indiana.

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »
I have been wearing wool here in Southern Indiana for several years now, yes it does pick up the burrs and stick-tites, but that is something I am willing to deal with for the warmth and quietness of the fabric. I can get by for most of November with just a heavy wool shirt and wool vest. I have just ordered a set of Pair of ASAT Elite Essential pants and cant wait to try them out. tecum-tha we should get together sometime to shoot.
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
I intend to be wearing ASAT this season
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
not sure why they dont make the predator fall brown anymore. the stuff KSdan has on is about as good as you get with camo.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I love my DayOne ASAT wool as well as my FirstLite ASAT for the warmer temps.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
For years now I've worn ASAT and can back up what guys are saying in regards to how it removes the human outline. Just this past bear season my guide was wearing ASAT - and swears by it too - was sitting watching me stalk a bruin. I looked back and I had troubles focusing on him. In saying that though, he mentioned my camo, the new Tusx was just as affective as well.

Some lines of camo are good... Others like ASAT,  Tusx and Predator are outstanding. If, you take into account it is an aid for hunting and not and invisible suit as advertising companies will have you believe.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Just got set up with a whole First Lite layering system in ASAT. Phenominal all around. Pricey but so very worth it.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
ASAT is awesome....I use the bibs combined w/ a predator top. It's amazing how deer will look right through you. YOu can't dance a jig or anything..but I have even gotten away with some slow movement, even slow walking in a straight line toward them while being looked at....

Thought I blew it on this guy:

Had been sitting all morning...he snuck in on me after blind calling out of desperation before leaving stand....Caught me sliding my baklava off my face at 13 yds...stared right through me....then resumed his sneak looking for the source of call.....end result: my first antlered buck w/trad bow.....

Last year, near dusk I walked across an open field towards a herd of 20+ deer. got to within 25 yds of them from probably 300yds out....not even sneaking; just slow walking, straight up.....of course, after 2 weeks of camping and nursing a cold..it was the opportune time for a coughing fit that I couldn't hold back     :rolleyes:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
Used this ensemble  to sneak up on several deer while doing some scouting/hunting a new area in mid-November..broad daylight...

I pair of doe I jumped up in some grass. Stood there looking at each other at about 10 Feet.....then they just walked off. Was able to get my bow brought up but only had a straight-away shot by then.....so watch some more   ;)
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Yes, Gray Wolf has ASAT wool now....

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
I usually shoot at Blackhawk. Next Sunday is their next 3D.

Offline recurvehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Used ASAT last year, for the first time, and thought it was great.  Wore it both on the ground and from a hang-on.  Appeared to be equally effective, attracting minimal attention, in both situations.

She even stuck around for a second shot after looking me off as a non-issue after the complete whiff on first shot.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
ASAT is my go to camo...it is all I buy. Depending on what you are looking for...I like First Lite best for their merino wool (own tons of it) then Day One. Merino wool is my #1 choice for hunting fabric.  Now that Jeff at Grey Wolf Woolen is offering ASAT in wool I will be ordering a winter wool set from him...Jeff has the best custom wool operation out there from product to service IMO. I absolutely love my ASAT leafy suite from ASAT, it is incredibly effective. I tried the Elite line from ASAT, which came out when Sitka quite making gear in ASAT, and did not care for it but that was years ago so maybe they better today.  Predator is good but ASAT is the best and the nice thing is there are a lot more manufactures of hunting clothes offering an ASAT option these days.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
DayOne ASAT wool

Users currently browsing this topic: