3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool base layer help  (Read 491 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool base layer help
« on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm thinking about getting 1st lite or minus 33 wool base layers to replace my UA coldgear.  Any options which is better since both are about the same $. Also If anyone knows if these do go on sale so I can save some $ I would appreciate it and best place/price?  Please PM  me because if some company not w/ TG I don't want to break any rules

Thanks
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool base layer help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Just a suggestion but base layers don't have to be camo.  If you want value, solid color stuff is less expensive.

I found out this AFTER I bought camo stuff.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
Minus33 is great and not too expensive

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
I've used my FirstLite quite a bit and love it.Bought it from their website when it was marked down. Minus33 would have been my first choice otherwise

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Keep an eye out for Duckworth Wool. Brand new American company that does everything in the states; from sourcing the wool to sewing the actual garments. Definitely keeping my eyes open for their garments when they release the product line sometime this summer. And from what I could see online, the prices are comparable and some even less than other high-end wool manufacturers.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Just a suggestion but base layers don't have to be camo.  If you want value, solid color stuff is less expensive.

I found out this AFTER I bought camo stuff.
I have smart wool from REI as a base layer works great and you can I buy it on clearance during their sales. I do have first lite and find it comparable and I wear it as my only top layer during the day some times. I used UA cold gear for a while still do sometimes I don't dis like it, I just thing for about the same price I'd rather have the wool.

Offline Bart S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 03:47:00 AM »
I have a bunch of clothes from both first lite and minus 33 that I mainly use for work as a commercial crabber and for doing wildlife surveys which involves hiking in in the dark, often in the rain or snow. Both do a great job at keeping me comfortable but I do find minus 33 to be slightly more durable. Also for socks, I'd recommend Darn Tough by Vermont.
64" TD Blacktail Elite, 60# @ 29"
64" Liberty longbow, 63# @ 29"

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »
Check out the KUIU wool base layers they are a Sponsor here.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
I have had three brands of merino wool base layer, Filson, Ice Breaker and Minus33.  So far Minus33 is the best value and most durable.  Looking forward to seeing what Duckworth is producing.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
I use my Kuiu as a base later in cold and alone in hot weather. I like having it camo for that reason. I also us first lite.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
I have 4 wool shirts and two leggings made by Core4 that where inexpensive, comfortable, and has held up well. They are sold thru Camofire online. I also have a Kuiu wool zip shirt that is excellant.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
I have only used the Minus 33. Very good quality and can be found at a good price.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Smart Wool and Ibex are two other companies that are great products.  I dumped my UA 5 years ago ad gave it all away.  Way more happy with Merino wool products.
T ZZZZ

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
I like silk as my base layer, then the wool stuff on top of that.

Offline Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm with Keith.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I have Minus33 Merino Wool Chocorua Midweight Crew.  I'm not in love with it.  It's nice and heavy but kind of drapes off me... I don't like the compression fit but I wish this stayed a little more snug to my body.  
I have also found that although it's supposed to be inch-free merino wool... it itches me!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I agree with Keith Zimmerman, also. Silk under wool is both comfortable and very warm.
Sam

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm a woolpower guy from 3rivers.  I know it seems pricey, but I'm still using my first sets from 10 years ago and 3 or 4 of those years I wore them for 3-4 months straight filming.  Great stuff!!
justin ammons

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I only have experience with the Minus 33, so can't compare for you, but I love mine! Wish I would have found this stuff years ago.

I bought mine from Silberman's Army Navy (Workinggear.com). They had good prices, and from time to time run specials with 10-15% of any order.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Thumper_Too

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I have some wool power that's awesome stuff.  You could wear it for days without it smelling.  However I find it better for movement than long cold sets on stand.   Where do you guys buy the silk base??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©