3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions on DIY Idaho Elk 2015  (Read 420 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions on DIY Idaho Elk 2015
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
My brother has been doing research on a DIY elk hunt for the two of us.  One of the states he has gotten some good info on is Idaho.....specifically (or not that specific) are the zones Brownlee, Lehmi, Sawtooth, Pioneer, and Smoky Bennett. He says some units within these areas have at least a 17% success rate. We are interested in early season archery.

Neither of us has hunted elk, and we live in Texas so we're basically flatllanders. I think we'll be in good enough hiking shape to get back aways off the roads and we don't mind accumulating the necessary gear.

For those of you that live there or have hunted these areas, would you mind sharing some stories or tips?

I thin I'll have A LOT of questions as this thread grows, but for now here a few I don't know the answers to.

Best place to get a unit map?
Worth calling the local biologist?
Can we access these places from a road or trailhead?
Is bear spray a necessity?
Avg temps in September?
Waterholes, calling or other??

Realy, just any light you can shed would be helpful.

Thanks!

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions on DIY Idaho Elk 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I am in a similar boat as you and planning a DIY hunt for 2015. Everything I've heard about Idaho is that the Wolves have destroyed the Elk population. I would just make sure the unit you apply for hasn't been impacted by the wolves.

Are you doing a Truck hunt or a Bivy hunt?

The number one thing every elk hunter has told me is get in shape. Like marathon running shape.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Scott, from the guys my brother has spoken with it looks like we will be able to drive in a bit and then hike further in like 5-10 miles. We will be packing everything in with us.

Good point on the wolves.  I will ask around. He did say that your elk tag can be used on a wolf, bear, or mountain lion (I know those are real slim odds).

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
Hunted Idaho for years but not these units.

I like to use sat images, google earth is a good place and then use gps mapping.

Worth calling the local biologist? Yes, they are usually very helpful and will refer to others for you to.  I've hooked up on a couple of great elk areas that way.

Can we access these places from a road or trailhead?  Look for roads closed to motor vehicles.  Often a good way to get into back country.  Every mile in the amount of hunters is cut in half and the elk double.

Is bear spray a necessity?  Check for griz in the area.

Avg temps in September? 5 - 75 with snow at times.

Waterholes, calling or other?? Mostly run and gun either stalking or calling.  

Good luck!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
pm Clay Hayes on here. he lives in Idaho and has a wealth of knowledge.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
What wingnut and timbermoose said. Clay is a good guy and works for fish and game here. Early on when its hot waterholes are great. A friend and myself have killed a good number of elk that way. The wolves are bad and it seems like poaching has gotten even worse. If you put in the leg work and you are in an any elk unit or a unit you can harvest cows and are not picky you have a good shot. I would take the first good shot at the first legal elk but that's me and I'm a meat hunter. You will have a blast either way and bring lots of arrows for grouse and other small game! I'm sure other will be able to give you more advice on the units you are going but I have never hunted them. Good luck!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
A cow is a win in my book all day long  :)

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
you also might post your questions in the Idaho Traditional Bowhunters forum here on TG ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I'll PM you when I get a chance.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
When I hunted Pioneer it was a hunter friendly unit.  Easy to find elk, easy to navigate.  That doesn't make killing an elk easy, but it's easy to feel safe and see some elk.  I'd have thought it a good unit for a novice elk hunter who likes to walk.

The only thing I didn't like was the pervasive off-road presence of ATVs and motorcycles.  They had the effect of extending the road network so that it was considerable work for a walking hunter to get into hunting country.  I don't know if they are still allowed off-road under current regs.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »

--Get a USFS forest map for the big picture and USGS 7.5 minute topo maps for your pack.  I go overboard, probably, but I had tops for the whole unit when I went to Pioneer.

Worth calling the local biologist?

--You don't have anything to lose, but they get lots of calls and they can't give everyone a private honey hole.  They can give you general info about the unit.

Can we access these places from a road or trailhead?

--Yep.  When I hunted Pioneer, I had to get a mile to several miles from the road to get beyond ATVs and into elk, but getting around was pretty easy compared to some places I've hunted.  I like to hike in at midday, hunt evening and morning, then relocate.

Is bear spray a necessity?

--No.

Avg temps in September?

--Often warmer than ideal.  If it's warm, I figure I have about 24 hours from the time my elk hits the ground until I want to have it out of the back country.  That limits striking distance.

Waterholes, calling or other??

--I spend a lot of time around elk and found Pioneer to be an interesting experience.  General rifle season then was spike only, with very limited entry for branch-antlered bulls.  That made for lots of nice bulls that had settled the pecking order already, and not many young bull stirring things up. Saw a lot of sleepy, peaceful bulls, but didn't hear a lot of calling.  Bulls were not very responsive.

Stands and water holes have never been my thing for elk.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
On your first hunt you may do well to camp at a nice spot that gives you access to a large area them hop around and car hunt until you get into elk.  I have hunted elk a few time in Idaho and my buddies have been there the last three years.  You really do not need to go 5-10 miles off road to kill an elk.  A local Idaho friend of my has killed an elk with archery gear every year for the last 28 years.  He drive up the mountain from home every year.  Last year his bull was down 100 yards from the road. There are all kinds of logging roads that you can move around and locate the elk.  Look for access roads that are closed to vehicles.  Always a good place to check out.  Last time we used Honda Trail 90's to move around and were really able to get away from everyone.  Lot of local hunters feel the elk in Idaho do not bugle as much due to the wolves.  Good luck.
T ZZZZ

Offline mlank29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Question (or many questions), when it comes to "looking" for Elk from a camping area, what exactly is the best method?

- Hike up to a ridge and try to glass a 360 degree area?
- Move around to various spots using the vehicle to hike in and find elk before hiking in and making a spike camp?
- I think I may recall that it is best to look on the north side of the ridge for elk?
- Do you try and find the elk in a group feeding, and then once you know their where abouts, hike into position to hunt them?

Just a few questions going through my mind as a novice elk hunter.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
^^^ speaking of brother....looks like he decided to join

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
:campfire:  Welcome Matt
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
How many days do yall recommend between scouting and hunting? Would a total of 5-7 days be enough?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I can only judge from the one time I went.  Ideally I would glass two days checking on travel paths then go get them.  Let your binos do your scouting a couple of days.   You'll be getting used to the elevation as well as conserving valuable energy.  I'd watch them do the same thing twice before I developed a plan. But, hey, there will be people on here with a lot more experience.  The only exception though would be if you are going with someone that has been there several times and KNOW the travel patterns.  We went for 9 days as we were spent at the end.

It's big country and you can burn a lot of energy looking where elk aren't.  BTW, I'd concentrate on public/private boundaries.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline mlank29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Speaking of public/private boundaries...

Any maps y'all recommend with good details of terrain, service roads, and boundaries.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Overlay a google earth aerial into your gps if you have one???
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
Boundaries can limit access in a few areas of Pioneer, but you'll find big blocks of public land where you needn't worry about boundaries.  Get the USFS forest map for roads and land ownership.

Five to 7 days isn't enough.  I'd go for two weeks, expecting best luck calling from the tenth to the 17th of September.  Figure on taking it kind of easy for a day or two while you acclimate.

As for spotting elk, I see a lot of elk across the valley by glassing.  I'm more interested in the ones nearby.  I spend most of my time covering ground and watching for fresh sign.  Urine spots are a dead giveaway, and you can smell elk, too.  Once close, take your time (more looking and listening than moving).  Elk are colorful and stinky and loud.  If you are attentive, you can see them before they see you.

Most important thing, bar none: in elk hunting, it is very normal to see very few animals and have few opportunities... but if you go for two weeks and get one good chance, that's all it takes.  The key to being a successful elk hunter (one key, anyway) is going up the mountain at 4:00 AM with a confident spring in your step when you've gone a week without seeing an elk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©