3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Official 2014 St. Jude Ohio hunt thread  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Official 2014 St. Jude Ohio hunt thread
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Been a while since I updated this and figured it was a good time to get this to the top with Matty and his dad coming in on Friday to hunt a week at the Double A.

The bucks seem to be getting ready to break the rut wide open and I think those guys may hit the seeking/chasing phase just right.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
The beans were cut off my place and I'm hoping the neighbor's corn will be gone soon too. It's been cold and the extended forecast is looking great.

I'm still putting the finishing touches on the barn but it will be cozy for the week. I finally got the first floor joists and sheathing in.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
:campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
It won't be fancy but it should be cozy. I'll be installing the wood stove this week. The loft is looking more and more like a real deer camp.

I was hoping to have the barn a little more complete but it's been a rough couple of months. My best and favorite hunting partner, my Dad, was called home by the Lord after his 14-month battle with melanoma cancer. There is a large void in my world now and I miss him terribly but I am so happy that he is face to face with our Savior Jesus Christ and has a new body free from pain and disease.

Dad you taught me everything I know, instilled the importance of love of family and country, the value of hard work and being the best I can be and a love of the outdoors that has never waned after all these years. You were the greatest man I have ever known, an incredible father, husband and grandfather. If I can be half the man you were, I will be doing great. From losing your father at the age of 8 to earning a Purple Heart in Vietnam to losing a good job with small kids and a wife to care for, you never once complained or felt sorry for yourself. Words cannot express the love and respect I have for you in my heart. We all miss you terribly, especially those granddaughters who were your sidekicks all these years. Go on peacefully knowing that you left an amazing legacy here and an amazing family that your love solidified. Give Grandma and Pops a hug and kiss for me and we will see you again someday. I love you Dad!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
So sorry to hear your loss Brian GODBLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!! As far as the property and cabin keep up the good work looks GREAT!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your father that was a touching tribute to him.  I miss my father everyday myself and my only regret is my children won't get to meet him in person but I tell them about grandpa all the time.  The farm is looking great.  Fred and me are trying to get it done here in the Michigan on the St. Jude hunt we saw a couple shooters and a bunch of does and young bucks.  The fawns just got kicked today and saw them wondering by themselves so I think that is a good sign that the Does are getting ready for some action.  Good Luck God Bless.

Burton

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
May your father be blessed and he kiss the face of our Savior, you be comforted by the hopes of reunion with them.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Great tribute Brian. May you and your family be comforted as well.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
Agreed Ryan. That's never easy for anyone...very nice words Bri. Can't wait to see you brother. My current status is.....
AIRPORT!  Waiting my departure from DIA. GONNA LAND IN NY 10 pm. And heading to OHIO at about 6 am. 6-7 hr drive. And it's hunt on!! Very excited. For those reading along. Brian has been periodically sending me trail cam pics with some pretty sweet bucks.  This is gonna be a real treat. Can't wait.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dad. From the words of your tribute Id say we all lost a good guy.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Matty and his dad are on their way and should be arriving at the farm around sunset. I'm gathering up some last minute items this morning and I'll be heading there shortly to tidy everything up for their arrival. Weather forecast and rut activity are looking good for the week so hopefully they can connect on one of these Ohio bruisers.

Stayed tuned...

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
wow, what a great thread so far!

I know the pain of losing a father well.  It hurts.  It is a sad thought that my kids will never know their grandpa.  That I will never share the wood with him, nor did I ever get to.  

But i'm very thankful for a heavenly father who is always there for me!

keep us updated!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
Matt and his dad Joe are all settled in and they are hunting their tails off. Like most guys I have met through this site, they are a couple of super gentlemen.

The first morning hunt on Saturday, Matt saw three bucks, two were shooters, and a couple of does. Nothing in stickbow range yet but a great start for sure. Still a lot of night time buck pictures on the trail cams but hopefully the rut will bust wide open for them this week.

All of the beans have been cut off in the area but we are still competing with some giant fields of standing corn. So far it doesn't seem to be hurting us too bad. Maybe the combines will be out on the next few sunny days.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
I was working on the loft steps and installing the wood stove while they were on their way Friday. I decided my wall tent Cylinder stove would work quite well for this little barn. The pipe is an odd 5 inch though and required me to special order stove pipe and a wall thimble/chimney kit. The stove pipe showed up on time but not the chimney kit. I figured I could redneck engineer something to get us by for the weekend.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Bri is on it!you last I wrote in I was sitting in Denver waiting to depart to NYC. Which is where my dad lives. Arrived there at 10 pm thurs. And about 6:30 Friday. We head out to Brian's in Ohio.
So we travel via. I-80 and in north jersey no BS. We saw 2 bears that had been road killed. I couldn't believe it. I've heard the numbers are way up. But I'm guessing they are REALLY UP. if they're getting many road kills. Pretty sad to see. And of course. I lost count of dead deer. Anyway 1/2 way through PA it started to snow.  
 [/URL]
When we got there about 7hrs later rain was working his tail off to make sure we were comfy. Built some steps for the loft. And put in the stove so we could be warm.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Brian got us in the side by side and took us for a quick tour about the property. Showed us stands and we pulled some trail cam cards.
We had a pretty interesting first evening. As we didn't get much sleep. Between my dads tiny bladder and large prostate. And a small ventures my problem with the stove. It definately made for some good laughs.
That morning. Saturday. I got into stand late. As I had to get my dad settled into his stand. Made sure he was up there and safe. I shot over to mine and I could see a flag going away from me. Which means I spooked something. Well I quickly climbed in and watched as 2 deer moved into the patch of goldenrod that sits in the field. That stuff is about 4' tall and burries a deer. Well I saw them go in but not out. Well about 20 min later a small buck emerges from the other side of the field. He meanders around and guessing picks up a scent and heads into the goldenrod spooking what would end up being 2 does and a really nice buck. Well all 4 of them headed back into the brush to the north of the field and disappeared. At one other point. The little guy re appeared and then went back in. Brian believes this particular spot to be a bedding area. I agree. Well about 9am. I see another buck and nice one. Bounding from the north east of the property. And headed into the bedding area. And that summed up the morning. That evening. A deer emerged almost at dark from the bedding area. And made its way toward me. But it was very dark by the time it got anywhere near me.
Tonight SUNDAY. nothing happened in the am. And in the evenI got my dad in the stand with me. VERY CAREFULLY.  Lol. And we sat till dark.

Again. 2 deer emerged at dark. But couldn't tell what they were cause they were pretty far away.
Stay posted. Hoping the rut heats up and gets them moving

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I had to come home and work a couple of days but I'm heading back up tomorrow. It's supposed to be in the 60s before this cold front blows in on Wednesday so I figured it might be my last chance to finish painting the barn for a while.

Matty has been keeping me updated and it sounds like he had an encounter with a big one tonight. I believe his text said "a very large buck". It sounds like they are fine tuning their set ups and closing in on an opportunity. I'm taking another stand or two up tomorrow and we'll set them where they've been regularly seeing them exit the bedding area. I've got a great feeling about this cold, snowy front coming.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Any news?
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Didn't think anyone was paying attention.
My iPad keeps freezing up. I'll type more when I get back to CO Tuesday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©