3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Monarch of Bull Mountain, part two: Son of Monarch  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Monarch of Bull Mountain, part two: Son of Monarch
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Alright, it is on!  Thank you so much for another great story.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Don't know how I missed the first story back in 2011 but read it all last night and was on the edge of my seat.  Holy moly you are quite the wordsmith.  Thanks for taking us along again.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
jhg, I hope you are giving some serious thought to publishing some of these works if you haven't already.

Having never published a single sentence in my life, I know I'm not an authority on the subject, but I understand you can now "self publish" for relatively little cost and if it "catches on" on the internet, a publisher might be interested.

I know I sure enjoyed the first iteration of "The Monarch" and I will definitely be hanging on for the end of this one.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
I too will be following the story!  I have lost enough posts to often type what I want out on a word doc or sticky and then copy and paste into the post.  That way I don't lose all that effort. I truly enjoyed your first one and can't wait for this one to play out.  Thanks for your efforts to entertain "the gang"
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Husky sat his porch and looked across the turnout that had been his yard for so long. A lot had changed in the last couple years. The blocked up truck was gone, taken for scrap and with it went a lot of old, unfinished business. The archer had brought in his Bobcat and borrowed a small dozer. With a lot of fill and some roadbase he had made Husky's almost welcoming. The house still had its course and ramshackled patina, but they had taken the sag out of it, replacing the old rotted sill joists with new, set on two courses of cinder block laid straight and true over a square and solid footing. Yeah it was work. A lot of hard work if he let his mind dwell on it.
But Husky simply let the satisfaction of a job well done prevail.
So he sat his porch and the sun filtered through the boughs of the timber that softened the edges of the yard, beams of light laid across the porch floor boards and climbed the hewn chair next to Husky. He preferred to be near the sun but didn't like it hot on his skin and sat a little aside its heat. A self bow lay across his lap. It was his favorite, an amber limbed wand with a linen wrapped grip that long ago had been bright vermilion. He looked down and even without his glasses knew the inscription on the belly. And well he should, having split the stave himself. Then on to the shaving horse bringing it down to form with the draw knife, removing the stave often to eye grain and judge character. Then came the spoke shave, the rasp, and the card scraper. Until finally the bow had been coaxed from the wood stave and lay in his strong hands like a quivering bird, ready to take flight.

Husky considered his options, with the bow he loved across his legs. They had made a short but sweet 3D wander behind the house and he often kept sharp making one shots on the difficult targets. The archers daughter held the best score on both sides of the course, she could score just as well on the coming back when the targets often were below and slightly quartering to the shooter instead of away and above. Her focus under pressure was uncanny.  Heckles and craftily delivered coughs at the shot by the others never seemed to affect her arrow. The archers daughter had no equal in this regard, except Husky, who in his younger days might have stood level with her. His old body sometimes betrayed him even if his focus was true.

He had her to thank for the change that had swept down onto the little house in the timber and he was thankful. The two of them had formed a quick and solid bond. Even the archer's could not equal it. Husky was a proud man. When the daughter began to spend more time at his broken down home, asking her questions and trying to beat him on the cribbage board he felt the quiet needle of pride that would not allow him to remain complacent while being able to offer better.
So the improvements began, starting with the unwashed dishes in the sink, the broken down couch, the dust balls in the corners and one at a time they added up to a big difference.

The old warrior had finally found some peace. It was plain wrote in love and in laughter with his new friends...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
:campfire:  

:coffee:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
The thing that I most appreciate about your writings is the quarries side of the story.
Not an aspect usually dwelled on to much by other authors but I enjoy it immensely!!!!!

Hunter and quarry, two separate lives till they meet one day  :clapper:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
I figured this might be coming! Thanks in advance for taking us on another journey.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
The archer found dawn had already bloomed into morning when he finally opened his eyes. A goshawk studied him from its perch on the edge of the small camp as he considered breakfast from the warmth of the sleeping bag. The goshawk tilted his head for a better look at the man shedding what must have looked to the bird to be peeling skin when he sat up and shucked his sleeping bag. Seeing enough the hawk glided off its branch and silently disappeared into the lightening gloom of the dark timber below them, a grey and white predator wanting a meal of its own.
 The archer ate a cold breakfast, cinched the straps on his pack and was on his way. He stopped to look back at where he had spent the night. The camp had been nothing more than a tarp and a hat sized fire. The soft forest dander built up for a bed seemed like any other mound of duff and the flat rock that held the fire off the ground was gone.
 From long habit the archer took a reading from his compass, and set the bezel. He knew where he was going, but the woodsman in him knew better than to assume anything in the back country. Cold fronts with their veiling fogs, darkness, and one timbered slope so like another confused even the seasoned woodsman. Taken together, only the compass and its magnetic allegiance to North was infallible. It was wise to remain in its care, even when it seemed unnecessary.
High on a bench not far from the archer a meadow graced the timber with its greening softness.  Grasses and tender forbes pushed out of the loamed soil and elk beds lay above the meadow on a darkly timbered false ridge. This hidden place, with its plenty and its solitude, this mountain oasis, was where the old lead cow had chosen for her younger sisters and daughters to calf. In this safe place many generations of elk had come into the world. Here had been born all manner of elk, herd bulls and satellites, lead cows and subordinate sisters. The old lead cow herself had been dropped here. A cold early spring day, the sun shaded by snow squalls and the wind a cold knife that meant death to any calf without a careful mother to shield it.  Here too, on that same day, the Monarch of Bull Mountain himself had been born, in the snow and the wind, an unremarkable calf that in his infancy showed nothing of the greatness that in time would be his...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
:clapper:  So far........so good!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
The legend of Monarch. Everyone who hunted elk in the state had heard about this giant and many had tried to claim his legend as their own by taking him by any means, fair or foul. And somehow the mighty bull had prevailed and the legend grew until most thought him nearly impossible to kill, without dumb luck anyway, and many good hunters that had given him their best gave up and all the rest just never even tried.

In the bars that filled with hunters at night, some of them wind burned and tired from hard hunting, others bored by another day spent near the security of camp, they all gathered to eat a hot meal sent down with a beer. Braggarts who had never seen the Monarch scoffed at those who had tried and failed to kill the bull, but always had reasons ready why they had not themselves seen the great one. They grew louder and tested the good will of their friends. But when someone who had really seen the mighty Monarch told his tale even the loud mouths shut up for a change, the table hushed, the story told and received in reverence.
  The giant bull ghosting through the timber, his incredible rack floating above him like a bone halo. Head on at ten paces in a stare down, then gone. The mountain mists opening to reveal, king of it all, the mighty Monarch. Trembling hands, weak knees, shortness of breath.
One poor bow hunter had the Monarch standing broadside. Twelve yards. He drew to anchor, released.  At the shot the bow exploded into two pieces, the big bull pivoted, a few crashes going away, then  silence. A memory welded into the skull of the hunter never to be forgotten. In the excitement of the moment the man had simply failed to nock an arrow.
The mighty Monarch. Ghost herd bull.  King of the high tops...

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Here we go again, Josh.   :)  

I started cutting and pasting into a word document like before...

These are just too good... made good progress up to this point...

I'm going to enjoy this one too!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
You are an awesome author!

I can wait for more!

Bisch

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Everyone, the encouragement means a lot. Thanks for posting the kind words.
 More tomorrow, then I scout elk over the weekend and gather more material for the rest of the story.

Joshua

Offline Kc kreger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Very good story Joshua.  Again thank you for sharing it with us.

Good luck scouting this weekend.  If you do happen to catch a glimpse of the Monarch, well cherish it while it last!

The rest of us will be waiting to read more when you return.
Oklahoma Selfbow Society member
Oklahoma Bowhunting Council member
Comptons Traditional Bowhunting member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
James Kerr

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
What a great escape! Thank you for your well-rounded prose.

Killdeer   :clapper:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
ttt!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

• Trad Bowhunter