3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Monarch of Bull Mountain, part two: Son of Monarch  (Read 2288 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Monarch of Bull Mountain, part two: Son of Monarch
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2016, 10:25:00 PM »
Lots more to come but its almost the work week we will see if I can add to it before the next weekend.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Your words being rejuvenation and healing Josh, Excellent!

The fire hasn't died, but may need a little stoking   :campfire:      :coffee:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
Great read! Waiting for more...   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
The archer came off the mountain leg weary. He knew what was ahead if they hunted Bull Mountain and he was pushing himself hard to build the stamina the hunt was going to take. He did deep squats at the gym using free weights to bring up the power in his legs. In his younger days this was unnecessary. He didn't dwell too much on this reality. He knew he was lucky. He had overcome and prevailed. He had his health. To measure his limitations against his younger self was human. To be nostalgic for the days the body was a coiled spring always ready always up to the task was equally human. But the archer drew the line at self-pity. It seemed to him somehow self-indulgent to try and wish away for himself a reality the whole of mankind shared.

He climbed into his truck. The archer placed a hawk feather he had found up the mountain on the dash. Left helical he thought to himself. He had thrown his boots on the passenger floor. They were dusted a light brown. It had been dry the last thousand feet of elevation. He had sealed a small cut on his hand with pitch up in the dark timber. He examined it now. It looked dirty, the pitch covered with all sort of dirt on its surface. But the archer knew that under the crust the wound was still sealed and clean. He fired the engine and pointed for home. It would be well dark by the time he got there. Tired and more than a little stiff. No matter. Archery season for elk was not far away. It had been a good day...

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
"How did you get your tools and gear for the cabin you built up on Bull Mountain?"
It was a simple question, but the archer felt foolish for not having been the one who asked it.
The three of them sat Husky's porch, a light mist falling, making the drawshaved handrail on the stairs glisten.
Husky looked at the archers daughter with that playful glint he got when he was pleased, or up to something, or both.
"Mules."
"Mules?" The archer wished he'd kept that one back.
"You know, the kind with legs and ears? Sorta like a horse but smaller? Sure footed?" Husky could be a tool if you left yourself open.
Bushwacking up any mountain, let alone Bull, with mules or even pegesis, seemed like a very particular kind of long term torture and the archer said so.
"Not so bad if you take the trail." Husky snuck a wink the daughters way. He was enjoying himself now. There was no known trail up the Bull. It was bushwack all the way, save game trailing when you could.
"Then there is a trail?"
"Yes"
The eves dripped and across the turnout some small birds wheeled into the scrub timber. The archer leaned back into his chair and looked over at the old man. "Whats it going to cost?"
"Oh, I don't know. How bad do  you want to know?" Husky knew the archer wanted to know very badly, but he was still having his fun. Just to get up on Bull Mountain was work enough. Husky knew that. Then to hunt it, maybe bring down (if you were lucky) probably the biggest damn bull elk there ever was on your back, well, that was an incredible amount of sustained effort.
The archer just kept looking at Husky. He didn't have to say anything.
Finally he broke the silence: "Well, how much can it cost? I mean, what do you get a man who has everything?" and the archer looked up at the hewn rafters and out across the turnout to where a sort of forlorn pole shed stood, roll roofing and all.
The three laughed at that and the archer felt better. He had redeemed himself. Husky heaved up out of his chair and came back out of the cabin with some soiled and edge worn maps. He opened them up and weighted down the corners with pieces of junk he found laying around on the porch.
It was the river crossing that held the key. Husky had found a way to cross the river safely with  pack stock that nobody knew about. It was genius, really. The archer was impressed when the three of them stood above the crossing. It looked impossible. Yet there was a way, a thin line where the riverbed and the current relented to allow a crossing.
"How the hell you find this anyway?" Husky looked over at the daughter before he answered. She was standing a little away from them in her STATES MVP hoodie and with the fast water loud below them Husky was sure she couldn't hear. "I was drunk one night and sort of ended up down there in my truck. I had to winch it out the next day and thats when I saw the crossing. Wallowing around the truck trying to get a chain purchase on the frame. I got lucky"
They talked awhile about the best way to lead the pack stock into the current and where to angle them up stream about halfway across, then back downstream to pick up the sandbar that would lead them out onto hard ground. When they were finished Husky turned back up toward the truck parked on the road shoulder. He paused for a second with a sad, faraway look down the river:  "I was lucky" the old man repeated, almost to himself and the archer knew this time he wasn't talking about finding the crossing. He put his hand on his friends shoulder to comfort him. There was nothing to say. They turned from the river and together they climbed up the bank to the roadside...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Good stuff........   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
There was a lot of work to be done to ready for the hunt. The archers daughter had moved in with him earlier in the summer. Her senior year in High School finished, the agreement with her Mom had always been that she could go live with her Dad if she wanted to. It was a big change, and there were rough spots, though not many. When she had first arrived, they unloaded all her stuff and humped it up the stairs to her room. When that was done, the archer sat her down at the kitchen table. He spoke to her as an equal: "This is my home" he had said. You are welcome here and I want you here. But it is my home." He laid out the rules. "Break them and you go back."

There were only two.

Together they found a ranch that leased pack stock and with the help of Husky they picked four mules that were already mountain ready. Husky cautioned against green stock, or animals that had spent most of the summer on pasture. "You want conditioned stock or its not going to be fun for any of you, people or mules" he had said "You want animals that have been working fairly regular and fairly hard. Nothing thats been over-worked mind you. You want stock that was been smartly cared for. You want them in top shape and rested. You don't want prima donnas or hard cases. Let someone else re-invent the wheel. Calm stock is what you're after"
The rangler was a quiet man. He understood his stock. They weren't head shy because he didn't hit them or let them rule. They liked to work because he had made it seem work was easier than not working. The mules loaded easy and led without trouble. Husky was sold and that was good enough for the archer. They loaded the string into the somewhat bent trailer that came with the lease and headed for the mountain. "Better find out now what you don't know" Husky said. "Not when you're up on the mountain in the night, its raining and you lost your way".
 They worked out the panners and trees from the rest of the pile in the manger: leads, pickets, feed bags and the big hemp three strand that they could use as a tie out if needed. There were also a general clutter of junk up there- old shoes, a broken axe handle, a fence puller, hay chaff and one very rusty vise bolted to a section of 6x6.
They used the last weekend before opening day for a shakedown. Nothing major. A short 5 miler in, make camp and figure out the little tricks of handling the stock, letting the mules get comfortable with them in turn. They would cross the mountain on the same general elevation second morning, make camp again and return the next day. Husky waved them off as the archer and his daughter pulled away from the turnout, the gooseneck stock trailer squeeking as it rocked over the undulations in Husky's road. Husky seemed small, the archer thought, as the man appeared in the side mirror. The archer stopped the truck. His daughter looked over at him with a question but the archer was already out of the truck and walking back to Husky. The archer hugged him. "See you in two days!" he said and then they were gone...

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
This is grea!!! You are talented please write a book
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »
This boy sure can write, can't he?  Dunno where he gets all his material, but it sure rings like a life story...

I copy and paste each installment into word to read thru later...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Such a great read. Don't know how I missed the first back in 2011, but I read it yesterday and caught up on this one today.  :campfire:   :coffee:
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
When the Monarch of Bull Mountain put the Snaggle Tooth Bull down for good with one fierce thunderous charge lifting him and throwing him hard into the dirt the fight was over. Badly injured, confused and demoralized, the Snaggle Tooth was done. He barely regained his feet let alone made it away. Having his wind bulldozed out of him was a big part of it. The absolute authority in which it had been done was the other.

Many a battle is won by the gladiator who has the perspective to see a bigger picture, and gain a psychological advantage over an otherwise evenly matched opponent.

The Monarch didn't reason this out of course. He had no plan. He only had an innate sense of timing. He used it well to his advantage and married with his experience, earned against many and all sort of bulls, this was a potent weapon. He saw his chance coming when the Snaggle Tooth circled his cows with no regard for positioning so near the Monarch. It was the big mistake. It cost him everything.
Somehow the Snaggle Tooth sensed this thrashing was of his own. Even though he had largely recovered physically, the following fall he just never found it in himself to step out and challenge the Monarch. He ghosted in the shadows and took his frustration out on lesser bulls beating them beyond what was required and at the smallest of provocations. The Snaggle Tooth didn't care if open cows were in the equation or not. If he saw another bull that offered a target he spent his rage against the cowing foe.
There is no glory in elk battle, only the victor.
By the time the season was over Snaggle Tooth had regained his swagger and within him an ember fanned slowly growing hotter...

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Glad what ever paused the story as allowed you to continue it!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
The archer looked his daughters way. She was checking the leads on the mules. He could read the back of her t-shirt as she took a pull on a panner flap strap. "I don't wear bows. I hunt with them."
She was careful to let the pack stock know where she was- a hand on a flank, a wider approach to take away the blind spot. She didn't grab halters or yank on leads. Smart.
They started up. It felt good to be on the trail, quads pumping a slow steady pace. The stock turned into the climb, blowing, then grew steady and sure as their bodies found the sweet spot that signaled their warm up.
 The archer had enough experience with animals to be a good hand. He had also grown patient in his years, always a good thing with pack stock. The daughter was no stranger to horses, a more difficult breed most of the time.  That experience showed now. The lead mule tested her a couple times, but the daughter was fair and sure. The string lined out and settled in.
They broke for lunch after watering and leading the string into some shade for a rest. They didn't need it, but the archer wanted to do more than walk them up and down the mountain on a trail. He wanted to know how they took to waiting while still in a string. Would they grow restless and fight the leads, or almost as bad, bray? His instinct was to give them as little chance as possible to do either. Yet he still wanted to know where the edge was, even if he was somehow able to never bump into it on the hunt. He could see the problem when the stock was waiting would be the flies. At least until they gained some elevation and then maybe the insects would thin out. Maybe during the hunt they would be blessed with cool weather. The archers mind wandered.
 His daughter brought him back.
"I don't plan to accept any of the scholarships."
He looked over at her. She had been looking down and twisting some dried grass into a knot. She looked up and met his gaze.
"Okay..." the archer paused. "What is the plan then?"
The noon slowly ticked along. The archer listened and added a question now and then, but mostly he listened. He wanted to tell her what to do. He wanted to point out the flaws in her plan. But if he was honest with himself it wasn't such a bad plan. He left out the things he wanted to say that would show her he was scared. He left out saying the things that were just another version of no.  He made the leap all parents someday must make. He trusted her.
 The archer got up and went over to the two bows tied securely on one of the mules. He pulled the slip knots and handed his daughter her long bow. He pointed over to a lodge pole cone nestled against a rotted stump 25 yards away. "Best shot one arrow no washing dishes this trip."  His daughter laughed.
 Better have brought your "A" game boy, he thought to himself as he drew back his hunt scarred recurve. He had seen that look in his daughters eye before, when she dropped the hammer on the other teams chances for the game. Picking a spot, the archer relaxed his string hand...

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks...been twiddling my thumbs waiting for a new installment...  :)

You got me wishing I knew all 3 characters personally.. sorta feel like I do in a way!  Always a sign of good writing!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
TTT
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2022, 12:57:15 PM »
Up for another read... :campfire:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »
OMG. I never finished that one.... but its in my head so maybe I will soon.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2022, 04:17:08 PM »
 :thumbsup: That would be great!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2022, 09:33:34 PM »
Now I have to go back and re-read the whole thing…..    :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©