3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String broke at full draw  (Read 653 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
String broke at full draw
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I was practicing the other day;I was at full draw and the string broke. Wow, what an experience. I was worried more about my bow than me. The string broke right where my arrow nocks on center serving. My bow is fine, no damage to tips or anything. I looked it over really good before I shot it again with spare string. I was gun(bow) shy for a few shots though. I even called the bowyer just to ask him what to look for if bow was effected by string breaking. He said its highly unusual that a string would break at center serving. Anybody else have string break like this? Well I am ok and so is my bow.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String broke at full draw
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I have heard of it when people use metal crimp-on nocking points. (pinches the string and has a hard edge).
I prefer to tie on a small nock point.

Glad you and your bow were not injured!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
That happened to me once. Yes. Same or similar spot couldn't tell exactly. Where after the fact but it was under the serving for sure.  When it happened I couldn't tell what exactly had happened. It just startled me. Bow was fine and yes. Gun shy to say the least.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I've had that happen. I found out it was from using to much super glue to set my tied on nock.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Happened to me a few months ago. Miraculously, it broke while hanging on my wall during the night, rather than when I was drawing it earlier that day.
I think it was my own fault. I had a tied nock point, either floss or sinew, either being thinner than the serving string. Tightening and then moving the tie on probably separated the serving and wore thru.
I know that glue can also do the same thing if it works into the serving/string.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Never had it happen, but came close one in my wheelie days.  Found it after changing the string, despite assurances from the guy at the shop that it was fine.  I change all my strings on schedule whether they (appear to ) need it or not.  Glad you're OK!
Jim

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
What kind of string material, how many strands, what draw length and weight, and how many shots on the string?

Several things could have caused it.  With brass nock points, it's almost always user error.  Cheap pliers that pinch rather than apply pressure all the way around (good pliers aren't cheap, but they are worth the money), too much pressure, wrong size nock set, etc.  I've used brass nocksets for 20+ years, no problems.

I'm guessing nylon serving might let super glue saturate through to the string.  Haven't seen that happen with Halo or 62XS.  Again, user error--be careful and don't put too much.

A problem with some materials can be they won't hold up to flexing at the same point over and over.  If it's a shorter bow, longer draw, heavier draw weight, and/or low strand count this just adds to the problem.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I agree with everything LBR said.  It's not uncommon to have the string break in the nock area.  Probably just as common as breaking in the loops.

The reasons LBR gives explain why a relatively new/good condition string might break there.  On the other hand, some folks shoot their strings too long without replacing.  All strings wear, and the string loop and nock areas receive the most wear.  If strings aren't replaced periodically, they will break.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Be very careful with using super glue for tie-on nocks. It can make plastic materials brittle.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I had it happen once too full draw-string broke-and the bow exploded; both hands were empty. A friend offered to lend me a spare bow he had brought along. I thanked him but declined, and went looking for toilet paper!   :bigsmyl:

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
I like the rubberized superglue--my thinking is it doesn't penetrate as much

strings breaking will leave ya clenching for sure!
Mike

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
It's happened to me except I had a nock failure and then the string broke.  Severe pucker factor.

Offline William Lyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I had it happen one time. I was at full draw on a Alabama 8 pt!! Man was I sick!! Sorry it happened to you. Glad your bow is ok.

Offline Stoutstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Britt,    I was practising in my pop up blind and had my string go at the tip loop. Ripped a hole in the roof and agree that it makes you nervous for a while.
The only thing that compares is having an arrow blow up. Looking down at your bow arm and looking for damage...   not finding any - priceless!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
A few years ago, while writing a training piece on tied on nock locators, I called BCY. They advised if super glue is applied to the knot string breakage at that point can occur. The glue soaks through the locator material, into the serving and the string strands. The makers of the bowstring material recommend glueless.

I've tied on at least a hundred such nock locators since then and have never had one, with no glue, come undone.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I have had strings break there as well. It is pretty scary.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Glad you and the bow are ok.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
I didn't have a break but I did have a metal nock slice through a couple of strands on my string. I caught it in time but have not used the metal nocks since that time. Glad you and your bow are OK.    :banghead:

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Yep, I have had strings break in the same spot. I use tie on nocks and no super glue... Both skinny strings, two different makers. My theory is too much serving padding, instead of thicker serving material. The serving separates at the nock point, resulting in a broken string. The skinny strings that I now use all have been double served, with no problems.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
How could the serving separating result in the string breaking?  What am I missing here?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©