3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In memeory of.........  (Read 427 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
In memeory of.........
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
I know that some of you will remember Steve House. Steve was a lover of traditional archery and was a wonderful wood carver. In fact he was good enough at what he loved that he had a couple of pieces of art work that Ken from Black Widow had to have them. Steve had two bows built, one recurve and one longbow. Unfortunately Steve passed before he even got to hunt the longbow.
Opening morning as I sat there looking at a 3 point buck at 16-17 yds Steve House came to my mind. I called Iris and Cameron(Wife/son) to just let them know Steve's memory was still strong when we came up with the idea that I would take his bows(one at a time) and attempt to harvest a deer with each of them. I would like to keep a diary of the hunts here on tradgang.
My best case senario would be to make a good clean kill and post the pictures here for all to see in honor of Steve and his Black Widow bows.
Any suggestions?
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In memeory of.........
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
That's a great idea.  Happy hunting and hope you get a good buck.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
I remember Steve and his family well. Gosh what's it been 8 years now since his passing? Who can forget that big smile and those blue jean bibs?
Hope his family is doing well. Good that you remembered him Mudd. We should all take the time to remember our brothers who have passed from time to time. Glad you have decided to honor him.

You know I have one of Joe's bows. I should probably get it down and take it out this year for a time or two. Joe would probably like that.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
I really enjoyed Steve and his family.  Great idea to take his bows hunting!  Good luck and keep us informed.  Thanks!

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Very nice gesture. Good hunting! Make your Buddies Spirit proud! I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Steve was a fine, generous man.  

There are so many good friends that have moved along the trail on us...

Joe Mattingly, "Fearless" Fred Chappell, my ol' buddy Jerry Pierce, and others.  The fond memories are a prize to hold.

Medical problems have cost me 15# in my usual draw weight for hunting, but I'm a bit stronger again right now, and hope to take a deer this fall with the bow Jerry gave me.  Kilt a pig with it, but I owe him a deer and a turkey with it if it is ever possible.  I miss that man, too!

Do Steve proud, Mudd!  I think he'd be smiling at the thought...

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Steve and Iris, along with you Muddy, where camping next to us at Cloverdale. Steve walked into our camp and with that deep resonating voice and declared, " ...am I in the presence the world famous Rugman?" Being my typical cocky self I looked down from my 6'5" advantage toward this 5'6" fella in bibs and replyed "yes you are little man..." With that Steve stuck out a powerful hand to shake and we where instant friends. Marcia took to Iris and their little girl , spending the weekend chating with this gentle, colorful, introspective couple. Later, when we heard of Steve's untimely passing we, like most, felt shock and grief at his loss. The next year, at the Cloverdale shoot, Iris came by camp thrilling Marcia as well as us all. Since then My sweet bride lost interest and has'nt attended the event since saying she doesn't want to lose any more friends.
 I think your idea is an honorable way to respect the memory of a cherished friend. Commit your journey to the God you love and he'll bless you with success and more lessons than you could invision. By the way you have to wear blue bib overalls on your adventure.

Your a good man Roy,

John McCreary aka: Rugman
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Does anyone remember the fellas name from Alabama  or Georgia that came to Mojam every year that passed shortly before or after Steve? He liked to make sour wood arrows from boards. Always set up on the left hand side of the road between the shade tree and Mudds camp, but across the road. Gosh, can see his face, just can't remember his name.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Roy, thanks for the memory. My wife and I met Steve at the UBM festival sat with them at dinner.
Enjoyed the visit and was overwelmed with the love they bestowed on the kids. Loved Steves carvings, he said the hardest part of carving was to know when to stop and call it finished.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
1st hunt
I picked up the recurve around noon. After I got it home I drug out a bucket full of arrows and began the search for shooters. Finally settled on purple heart footed shafts made by the late Mr. Powell(Robert Powells' dad), then dug out some old green Bear 2 blade broadheads. A little sharpening and... ready to hunt.

Got to the woods late so within an hr of setting up I had a doe with her young cross at about 75 yds followed a few minutes later another doe. I waited to see if they were followed then moved closer to the travel path. 15 minutes later got busted when one tried to come in down wind. No more action but did see 3 more deer(I'm guessing bucks by the way they moved) as I was packing out.
God bless,Mudd
ps I only went in this heat because the weather said a front was coming..yeah they've been promising rain too. We got 8 drops last week...lol
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
I camped next to Steve and Iris on a couple of occasions, I can remember my daughter playing with the little girl they were caring for at the time. Everyone was welcome in their family. Great people! I still think of Steve now and then.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
didnt know him but sounds like he was a good man . wish i could have met him . shoot some deer with his bows mudd .   :thumbsup:
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Mudd   I made him a side quiver to go with that longbow to his specs. As for as I know. He never had a chance to use it. You might want to take it along on the hunts. Steve was one of a kind with a big heart
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Yep, I met Steve at Cloverdale as well.  I cannot believe he's been gone that long.  He was a woodcarver deluxe.
Otto

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
2nd hunt AM... got a late start saw two does, one coon and a few squirrels. If the woods hadn't been like walking in a bowl of corn flakes I'd have tried putting a stalk on one or more squirrels.
Marijane and I headed to a farm east of Fulton. The rain started about the time we hit the woods(thank God!) We both got soaked to the bone but stayed until it started to lightening. I had a wonderful time hunting with my daughter. one squirrel seen.

Good idea Jerry, I'll check with the family on the quiver. BTW I have been using a side quiver I got from you.
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
3rd hunt..uneventful except for the squirrel hunter who started shooting from the area I expected the deer to come from. Oh well! That's hunting.
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Mudd you are the best kinda friend a guy could have. Fred,Howard,Steve and the rest of the guys at the BIG campfire are smiling down on you.
 As for me, I'm hoping for you to have fun and lotsa targets.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I didn't hunt with the recurve yesterday.. should have, had 2 does at 9 yds.
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Buz-AL@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Good luck to ya, Mudd.  Keep after 'em.  I often hope Iris and their kids are well, too.

Mickey, I believe you're thinking of Ron Harris.  He's actually my first "internet bow buddy", invited me on the 'Wall to shoot with him and his group.  He helped proof-read HOB before it was published.  Remember that static-curved osage bow he had at MOJam that shot about 170 fps with about 42 pounds of pull?

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
That's him Buz. Still have a piece of sour wood he gave me years ago. As a matter of fact it's going to be in a pic in the new TBB4 talking about split timber shafting. Nice guy. Miss him as well.It's a shame when we lose the good ones.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©