3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you look for in a day pack?  (Read 741 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What do you look for in a day pack?
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
I was just wondering what you all look for in a day pack?. I used to think that a pack is a pack, but I realized that I was going through them fairly quickly, whether it be because the zipper broke, or the seams of the strap came apart.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you look for in a day pack?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
I went through the same thing. I can certainly relate. I tried both the Bison Gear Guide pack and their First Trip Explorer pack. Both packs are quality made and fit my style of hunting. Plenty of room to pack extra cloths but not too big and bulky. Both are just about right for day trips. I like simplicity in a pack without a lot of pockets that sometimes can hide things. The first thing I look for is quality and then simplicity without a whole lot of individual pockets. Third is really space for packing additional clothing.

Ron

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
My day pack is not large and rather narrow. Larger enough for my emergency stuff, rain gear and maybe a light shirt and lunch of course.  Straps on the outside for my ghillie. Padded shoulder straps, waste strap, chest strap.  My Safari Tuff Arrowmaster fits well along side it.  It has a camelback water system.  Material is 'relatively' quiet.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
It depends.  If I'm backpacking in, then I'm looking for a super-lightweight daypack, along with super-lightweight everything else, to keep down the overall weight in my backpack. If I'm camping next to my truck, then I'll use a more luxurious daypack with more pockets, better support, etc.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
Simplicity. I am not a fan of lots of pockets and straps. That said hip belts with pockets are a great feature. I like a pocket in the lid too but that is it.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
I like a small daypack, but I hunt a lease (private land) and don't need much for a day hunt.  If this sounds like you, I'd advise you to look at the Tenzing 1200.  You can strap raingear or a jacket outside of it (and you can strap it to a loc-on easily also).  It's very narrow and fits tight to the body.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
x2 on narrow being good for a hunting pack.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
I also like the tenzing 1200. It hold everything I need, really comfortable to carry, well thought out pockets and good construction.
Self reliance cannot be bought

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
Most of all, it needs to be quiet and rugged, not too big, and the pocket arrangement needs to feel intuitive to me so I'm not looking for things all the time. I do like a couple of outside stretchy pockets for things I grab all the time or a bottle of water, and I like a way to carry an extra jacket. For me, the Badlands Hyper-Hydro and Reactor packs are near-perfect. Capacity about 900 cu in, keeps me from taking more stuff than I really need, doesn't get in the way of shooting if I get an opportunity, light, and comfortable.
PS because I had shoulder surgery this year, I have been carrying a fanny pack, also from Badlands. Really well made, well thought-out, holds a lot and doesn't have the problem of most other fanny packs I have tried, which is they pull down on your hips after a while and get uncomfortable. The people at Badlands are really THINKING about how their packs are going to be used. Also,I have been using Badlands packs since they appeared and once I lost a zipper pull but that's about it.  Good stuff.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
Usually the toilet paper.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Heavy duty straps and enough room to hold my gear for a days hunt or weekend jaunt. I prefer fleece or bucksuede. My Day One large pack, I use is perfect for all day trips out west. Plenty of pockets inside and out, tie downs and heavy duty straps.

Same with my smaller fanny packs. I have one large and one small. However the tie downs make it easy to tote my Torges seat or spare clothing. Both are in fleece with heavy duty straps.

Day One...has 2 pouches on the right side, zippered pouch on the bottom and 2 smaller pouches on the inside. The large pouch on the left...I use to put in my bow quiver when I'm bear hunting. Normally shove my water and a few accessories in there. Plenty of tie downs and a lot of room for gear.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
I fit my pack to my hunt. I want the correct size, good comfort and support, and quiet. For my every day hunting pack I am using a Rancho Safari VI without the quiver attached. Lots of storage but still light and good comfortable shoulder and chest straps. I have used it about 5 years now and it meets all my needs except you are not going to haul out meat with it. For that I use a freightliner style pack if I needed to pack meat.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a direct quote from Joe Buck or not but with regards to what he looks for in a day pack..........."my lunch".   :goldtooth:
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I have been looking for a daypack also.  I am on a budget.  I do not want a big pack as I have a tendency to carry too much stuff.  I tend to fill the space if i have it.  I tried an old Fieldline fleece, but the pack wants to fall off your shoulders.  

My new pack should be here today.  I bought a Black Diamond Bullet, a small rock climbing day pack.  How it works out we will see.  It looks to fit tight to the body and is not bulky and big like many packs are.  

For a day hunt, I usually hunt with just a possible bag that is a grey gas mask bags.  For the mountains I want a bit more gear.  I always have liked this photo of Jay Massey with a simple day pack on.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Here is the pack I have coming.  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
I use a Rancho Safari fanny pack when it will hold all I need. I can carry enough for a pleasant day afield. It has two water bottle holders 1 large deep pouch 1 med. pouch and two small pouches. I can carry a good lunch, plenty of water, TP, extra string, wind detector, compass, map,extra gloves, toboggan, extra shirt, socks, thermals and more. It allows for a back quiver to be used and does not impede movement. It has a built in lumbar support too. I use a heavy duty pair of suspenders to keep it riding high. I have had it 10 years and it's still going strong. It's water resistant/proof too. It has plenty of belt to use for a knife and or hatchet. Just throwing another option out there to think about. They are also much cheaper than a good day pack.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
The pack must be well made, have the pockets and straps that make it work for me and most important ......it must ride well on my back. One of the best I have found for me is the Badlands Diablo. Light, well tought out and made well.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I generally don't carry a whole lot of stuff  with me on a morning of evening hunt. But during the rut, I'll sit all day and like to take a little more gear with me. I also have a spot where I have quite a long hike in up the side of a small mountain and like to carry my clothes instead of wearing them in.  I want something quiet and sturdy enough to last. I'm trying to stick with a budget and would like to keep it under $150.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
Thanks for the replies. I generally don't carry a whole lot of stuff  with me on a morning of evening hunt. But during the rut, I'll sit all day and like to take a little more gear with me. I also have a spot where I have quite a long hike in up the side of a small mountain and like to carry my clothes instead of wearing them in.  I want something quiet and sturdy enough to last. I'm trying to stick with a budget and would like to keep it under $150.
Tenzing 1200 or even their 2200 will fit that budget.  Check them out
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
The only time I carry a pack on local hunts is when I take my ghillie suit. Otherwise, my haversack carries all I need for a day hunt.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©