3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrew Lil' Favourite... Finally.  (Read 952 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Shrew Lil' Favourite... Finally.
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
G'day guys,

Well finally is all I can say!

For some time now, if not a few years in fact I've always had me a hankering for the likes of a short recurve, be it one from Javaman like the Helms Deep... Or what I've just tracked down here in Aussie, a Lil' Favourite.

In that time of playing the mental game of 'do I need another bow or not' I have always clicked on threads with the above mentioned title, doing the best I can to keep at bay the pull of such a fine looking short recurve.

So... What I have just paid for is a Shrew Lil' Favourite, 65# @28 and I'm sure if my goldfish memory serves me well it's a 56" bow. From all accounts the previous owner is posting her off today so with luck it'll land sometime next week for me.

A new bow will be a good excuse - as if you ever need one that is - to do some scouting on a herd of Rusa deer I know are hiding in an area they thought was a secure location!

Feel free guys to post away some Lil Favourite pics to whet my appetite! Be it kills or what ever!

Oh, and whilst I'm asking, what would be the brace height I should look at using and what sort of string combos are you guys rolling with?

Cheers from Aussie,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Shrew Lil' Favourite... Finally.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
They are sweet shooters.  Not too long ago I acquired a 54" 52# example with foam core limbs and I can say with certainty it is one of the finest recurves of any length I have shot.  I may pass it on, my main goal was to get it so I could try the design with the future intention of ordering a Helm's Deep (same bow with subtle tweaks to the design originally developed by Gregg under the Shrew name), though the dang thing works so well I may have to keep it and still get a Helm's Deep anyway.  I was actually quite taken with how quiet the bow is and how blazing quick.  Not far off from my Elkheart.  You've chosen well.  Strongly consider a Helm's Deep as a future acquisition.

Here's some eye candy for you while you wait on your new bow      :)       54" 52@28 charcoal dymondwood riser, Mac ebony veneers, foam limb cores.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
I had just posted my Helm's Deep in the classifieds before my knee surgery (3 weeks ago).  I pulled the ad cause I figured I wouldn't be mobile enough to get it mailed out following the knee replacement.  I'll re-post it for sale in another month.  I believe this is the one Gregg has on his home page...tippit

Helm's Deep 54" 50#@28 Zebrawood RH bowbolt...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:59:00 AM »
I've got a 56" 51#@30.5" Lil' Favorite that is a fantastic shooting little bow. I picked it up here in the classifieds. I used the Lil' Favorite prototype up at Shrewhaven Lodge when Ron first developed the concept of the bow.  I ended up shooting a nice doe with it. For my longer draw, I like the comfort of the 56" Lil' Favorite versus the 54" model.  It's extremely smooth and very fast along with the fabulous Shrew grip design. My daughter is working up to this bow and it will become her hunting bow this fall.  I believe Roger Norris still has that original Lil' Favorite that was tested at the Shrewhaven Lodge camp and accounted for 3 deer if I recall correctly.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
John McCullough was making the little recurve for me before Greg starting making the Shrew bows. Back then it was called the "Stalker". When John stopped making Shrew bows I gave Greg a stalker to make a form from. He made a slight change in the form and that first prototype went to Shrew Haven camp that fall. It was passed around for the guys to hunt with and it accounted for three deer that week. I ask the guys to give the bow a name and Roger suggested  "The Lil' Favorite" after the old single shot .22 rifle that was popular back in the day.

I should have a picture of a Stalker around, I'll post it if I can find it
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Ron,
I did a search and found a pic of one.  52" overall.

Looks to me like the Stalker had a little less deflex in the riser and a little less preload in the limbs.  Short static recurves are fun!!

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Yep, that's the Stalker. I liked that short static limb it was a very stable bow. Maybe we'll start making it like that again..    :dunno:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Yep, that's the Stalker. I liked that short static limb it was a very stable bow. Maybe we'll start making it like that again..     :dunno:  

What a sweet little bow design that is!  I'd be all over that. Nice design Ron! Why the change?

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the input and pics... Keep 'em coming I say!

Life should be - amongst other things, owning nice things and I'm really looking forward to this bow landing and giving it a run.

Cheers,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
Shrew Lil' Favorite is back.  

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Hmmmm, tax return just came back and these show up.  Temptation can only be resisted so long...
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »

'Bout time, mate!   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Hey Killy, it was great meeting you that year, when are you coming back to Michigan?    :dunno:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
I am thinking about driving up next time. Airports are not as fun as they were when I was a girl.

Killdeer   :scared:

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Killdeer, your not a girl anymore have you had some changes. :-)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
No, I still feel like an achey eight-year-old. But I miss keeping my shoes on and walking across the tarmac to the ladder.

The flying part is still fun!
Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
I really like that style of bow they are so light and easy to carry. They shoot great and they are the cats meow when it comes to shooting Out of a ground blind or a climber tree stand. I fell in love with a Helms Deep that Gregg has.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
I should of added, I want to shoot a lil favorite also.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Killy, I'd enjoy shooting with you if you make it over this way next year. I've forgiven you for shaming me into drawing that 65# shrew a few years ago. I can use my arm again   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
  I am thinking about driving up next time. Airports are not as fun as they were when I was a girl.  
They had airports when you was a girl?    :saywhat:

Sorry, I couldn't resist    :laughing:    :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©