3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canoe  (Read 523 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Canoe
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I need a canoe for crossing a slow flowing river for hog hunting. Don't have a lot of gear just me, my pack, and bow. Coming back hopefully with a extra 100 lbs. I hunt alone so the smallest I can get by with the better and I don't have a lot to spend around $500.00. What should I be looking for? Used would be fine just wandering what I should be looking for.

Thanks
Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canoe
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Old Town Guide 119

Offline treehermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
The Old Town Discovery Sport as well.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
The guide 119 was also offered a few years ago as a Field and Stream "Kay-Noe"  The 119 is a 1 seater and can be bought new for 4-500 I think.  If all you want to do is cross a small slow river just about any will do.  Look into a sit in kayak as well, it'll just make it a bit trickier when you haul that 100lbs back.

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Great I know the Old Town Guide 119. I have a fishing buddy that has one he says it won't do the job. I disagree, I think it's just what I need.

Tom

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
It'll do it. A buddy and myself did a 35 mile river trip last august. He paddled the 119 and I paddled my Jackson Coosa (lucky me, lol). Anyway, he had two coolers loaded down, one for food and the other was beer and water. He also carried his gear and pack, he easily had over 100lbs and paddled that thing like a champ. Keep the weight low and you won't have a problem. You can also lower the seat and put wider thwarts in the 119 to lower the center of gravity and make it wider, making it more stable.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I have a light weight 10Ft buddy boat, works great and easy to handle.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I think the 119 is rated to 500#. I have been wanting one for awhile. My 16' is a beast to put on the truck  myself after hunting all day.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I agree, I NOW weigh 185 lbs (was 307) my pack might be 10 my bear recurve 3. Man I can kill a 300 lb hog. Not that I will even ever see a 300 lb wild hog but it's still nice to have the option    :archer:  
I'll be going to Dick's this weekend. Hope they have a camo.

Thanks
Tom

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Look for a buddy with a canoe and a desire to try bowhunting.....It's cheaper for you and you will be doing him a favor as he does you a favor!     :D

Kingsnake

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Tom, borrow your buddy's canoe and load bags of corn or bird seed in it and take it for a paddle. That will give you an idea of how sea-worthy it'll be. Dead weight is dead weight. Plus you can feed wildlife after the test...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
A used Old Towne Osprey 140 (Royalex14'-59#)if you can find one,

A used OT Pack (Rolalex) 33#-12',

A used OT Camper-15 (Royalex 14'10"-57#), or

The OT 119 mentioned (Polylink-3), ($499 new at Dicks w/20% off life vests if you order w/canoe online-deliver to your store in camo) - 11'9" - 43#.  This boat is similar to the Pack, but heavier, yet more durable, because of the material it is made from.

I have the 15' Camper, big enough for 2 w/gear, light enough to handle myself, plenty of room for bow(s) stands, deer or hog, or Lab - stable flat bottom. Add a Minkota 30# thrust on a wooden bracket w/a 12v battery and hang on.  Or a standard paddle or a kayak paddle for faster speed and better control.

I borrow my buddy's 33# pack for solo and it's ititial stability is not great, but it's secondary stability is very good. I added my lab or a 50-100# wt to the front and it settled down really well, because it was so light wt.  Again, this canoe is much like the 119 in size/capacity.

There are many times I'd like to have the Pack or 119, but rarely want/need one bigger than my Camper-15, unless hauling 3 adults, or 2 with a long trip and a lot of gear.

If weight is not a concern vs $$, a used OT Guide 147 it a tank. Canoe Rental places use it and the Discovery 158 because you can't tear them up (polylink-3, 14'7" at 82#, and 15'8" at 87#) Buy one of these from the rental places as they buy new replacements every 2-4 years) Cheaper!!

Drive on down here and I'll let you try mine and my bud's Pack and put you on some smallies in the local creeks, or pm me and we'll see if this local rental guy is ready to sell a used 147 or 158.  I saw 5 or 6 laying out in his lot last week.
CoilSpring

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
Congrats on you accomplishment in losing weight and keeping up with healthy activity (hunting, canoeing, etc...)!!!  That is just plain fantastic!

I hope to see a picture of a hog in a small canoe soon!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
Unless you have to carry if far or paddle really Far, I would search the local classifieds and just get a Canoe.  

It doesn't sound like the current will be enough to be a  deterrent.  Personally I would look for something that is 14-16 feet.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
What coilspring said. In the early 70's I saw a picture of Fred Bear in a canoe with a big buck draped over the bow. That lit a fire in my soul that has never gone out. I've hunted out of a canoe for 38 years, from 18ft expedition canoes to 12ft light weights. I feel you need at least a 14ft canoe to have room for gear and game and a used canoe is like a used bow, if it's a good one you get a lot of bang for the buck. The old Town web site has a lot of info on the benefits of different hull designs, rocker, length and so forth. Don't settle for a canoe that is just adequate to get across a slow moving stream when for the same money you can get one used that will allow you to paddle fearlessly into uncharted territory.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
I have an Old town Discovery 14'. It has been a workhorse. Stable enough for two to stand. It was a blemished model and was 475$ new. One of the best purchases I have ever made

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I have a 12' Sportspal. Only weights 38# aircraft aluminum.  Very wide and stable.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
I just picked up this 15.5' Pelican for free. People selling a home and just wanted to get rid of it.  Any way I saw this same one for about $500 new. Check the local paper.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
For any canoe, when they state the max load, it is advisable to stay well under that.  Max loads are quite often measured at one inch of free board.  A flat bottomed canoe may be more tolerant of minor movement within the boat, but with a heavy load plus a moderate tilt, the sharp cornered chine  boat will have very little stability and dump you out.  Short, wide flat bottomed canoes paddle like a barge.  Something like a 16' old town Penobscot will be much better.
My hunting canoe is a top of the line Kevlar Madriver Explorer, they no longer make them with the carbon skid plates.  Retail ten years ago pwhen I bought it was $2600, I paid $500.  It had slight damage, that was fixed in five minutes.  Look around before you buy one of those midget barges.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I see you are in Tn.  You may want to check out Mohawk Canoes in Chattanooga.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©