3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: J. Holden calls  (Read 247 times)

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
J. Holden calls
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
I've yet to call in a critter as I just received this today but figured I'd throw out some off the cuff thoughts for those interested.

About Jeremy:
He is a great guy.  He communicated well, did exactly what I asked for and was patient with me through multiple design changes, and got the call turned around in a very quick and professional manner.

About the call:
Fit and finish are very, very nice.  The sound quality is very unique and in a GOOD way.  The call has a deeper sound than most but is adjustable for pitch from fawn to mature buck so that isn't a criticism or problem.  I'm going to tune mine to sound like a 2-3 yr old doe. The quality of the sound is awesome.  It's rich, powerful, and very natural sounding but not loud or artificial sounding like a lot of the plastic commercially produced calls.  The volume of sound it makes is very similar to an actual deer, which I like.  Some of the plastic calls are so loud that if a deer is fairly close it almost spooks them or atleast makes them think twice about why a deer is shouting so loudly.  

I think it'll be a wonderful tool for piquing the interest of a mature and leery buck right outside your shooting range.  I'm looking forward to another great year in the woods this fall and will definitely be bringing this call.

And of course, mine is in cocobolo to match my bow with a deer antler base just because I thought a dual material call would look nice.  It came with a nice, thick lanyard but I'm going to make a woven leather lace lanyard with antler bead keeper for it, mostly because I like leatherwork.

For what it's worth, what I asked for was a thicker version of this design but with the little black lines at the lanyard offset from the edge of the lanyard groove.  He was unable to add the grooves at the edge of the natural antler because it had a slightly inconsistent outside diameter and wouldn't turn out looking very good there without turning off the textured exterior of the antler, which I wanted to keep:

I'm going to have him make me some more calls for sure.  Here is his contact info for those that might want it:
   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00016830
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: J. Holden calls
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
I also have one of his calls and am anxious to try it out this fall. He does nice work.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
I have one, too.  I was very fortunate to have one it during the St. Jude auction.  It is extremely nice and the sounds they produce are great!  Highly recommended.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
i have one f his as well. though i don't have many whitetail in the areas i hunt, i have no doubt it will call them in. my interest in his call was for the fawn bleat. with a little tuning and practice, i was able to obtain the cry of a newborn/youngun'. called in several bear, just never closed the deal this lat spring. did get coyotes, bobcat, and a couple cougar coming in looking for an easy meal as well.

he also built my son and i matching sets of duck and goose calls that i will be getting from him as soon as work cooperates. looking forward to the fall season.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Thank you so much for the kind words gentlemen.  I really do like making these calls and am glad I can share them with you.  Thank you for the business TradGang!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©