3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Tape?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Tape?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Have fletched taped nearly 35 dozen arrows over the years.

>>>I still maintain the upmost confidence<<<

Highly experienced and travelled hunters wouldn't continuously take them across the world to Africa if there was even a hint of doubt.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
A little tip I picked up here is to cut the tape diagonally with a scissors. It makes it easier to peel off the plastic with a blade.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I always leave about 1/16th" of tape at the back of the quill. Press the tape against the quill. Let it go and the tape will normally stick but the plastic will pop off the end. Peels off easy then.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline ForrestGator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
I love using the stuff. A drop of glue on either end and I'm completely confident in my set up. It took me awhile to find good finish for my woods, but once i did it will peel layers of shaft off before letting the quill go.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Been using it for year. I put a glue dot front and back but also a couple along the base of the feather on both sides...no worries

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Never had it fail me. Always use a couple of drops of Duco at front and back edge of feathers. I keep mine in a zip lock baggie. I use an exacto knife to get the two strips separated.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline John Zieske

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Love the stuff!, I do not use glue on it though, just my pref, and have no problems. that tape is tough stuff and if you carefully put pressure on it after you remove your clamp, feathers will stay on better than a lot of glues, which get brittle over time. gives arrows a clean finish also.
J Zieske
VFW Life Member
Elk Camp Cribbage Nut

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »
If you have no finger nails you will need a blade to separate the backing.Quit chewing your nails!

One tip: Tap down the ends of the tape once placed on the fletch then pull off the backing. You can run the tape a tad bit longer than the fletch to do this.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
I like it. I've only fletched a couple dozen with it so far, but with a spot of glue front and back, it has held well. Definitely quicker than glue.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Works well with wood shafts regardless of the finish- lacquer or poly.  Just make sure to make sure it is fully seated for the length of the feather.  I take a thumb nail and run it down the quill lip to ensure full contact.  It saves the finish when it comes time to refletch the woods.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline wallybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
I've been using this tape since it hit the market. I still have a few arrows from 15 years ago that even though parts of the feather are missing the quill and tape are still adhered to the shaft. And yes add a drop of glue to the front and rear tip of each feather.
In the wind he's still alive

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I use tape on my Douglas Fir shafts with turkey feathers that I have cut and ground and with a drop of glue at each end.  I have never had it fail in the extremes of Idaho weather. Works great for me.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
Same experience here as trad shooter. I shoot year 'round in northern Vermont, and get at least a few days of roving rough woods every week. Frequently send the fletching clear thru softer stumps, or have to pull it thru to retrieve the arrow.
Temps I shoot in range from below 0F up to around 90F.

Only times I've had any issue were operator error. Still need to pay attention when fletching.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 06:34:00 AM »
Great stuff.  Have used it for several years with no problems.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
Bahumbug.  It starts with fl etching tape; next thing you know you've slid down the slippery slope and will be shooting a compound.  "Traditional" glue only on my arrows.

Okay, by most accounts the stuff works fine.  I do find glue to be a lot easier to work with than tape; and I enjoy taking my time building arrows so speed isn't an issue for me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©