3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goals?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Goals?
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
For the last 4-5 years I have set forth some sort of goal for my deer season. A buck on the ground, no camo, multiple deer before gun season, etc. It seems these goals keep me focused and more motivated to accomplish the task at hand.

This year I'm just as excited about season rolling around but have no defined goals. I'm worried that a more relaxed outlook will equal a lazy, less productive season. I have never been one to stop and smell the roses. I reflect in the off season and hunt hard during.

Has anyone experienced this or am I making something out of nothing?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goals?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
No goals can be fun
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I have a goal after my stroke of just making it out in the woods.  The ghillie suit I'm building is just a bonus.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
Seeing as you're a goal oriented person, you'll probably come up with one before the season arrives. If not, enjoy learning to "go with the flow" and "smelling the roses."

My goal is (still) just to get my first bow-kill. My first deer with any weapon (30-30) came last year, after 8 or 9 years of trying with bows and guns (and all my might).

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Well, I have tags for antelope, elk, and whitetails.  I guess you could say that by purchasing them I have a goal of filling them.  But it's really not like that.  

I'm just thankful for another season to try, and if I am lucky enough to tie one or more on some antler or horn it will be frosting on the cake.  If I made filling tags a goal, then that would mean if I don't fill them I have failed.  I really don't want to think of it that way.

I do intend to spend a little more time hunting deer from the ground this year.  When I do climb into a tree I will certainly have a goal of not falling out.  And I am looking forward to having my buddy Tippit visit this fall.  I have a goal of showing him some deer and eating well.  

I like to enjoy the success of achieving goals, so I tend to keep them pretty simple so that I know I have a good chance of succeeding.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Looks like Joe is gonna be really busy.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline dave h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
My Goal is to just get back to where I was a few years ago before my shoulder injury. Shooting is my no 1. goal right now. Starting to hit what I aim at again. Weather I feel like I can kill a deer cleanly I am not sure right now but my confidence is growing every day I pull the string back.
Fox Archery Recurve(THE BREED)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
My goal is the same each year, take everything in and share as much as possible!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Yeah, once you get out there I guessing you'll come up with one. I have 2. First get one with the recurve. Second do better than just taking 1 like last year - worst season I had in several years.
SWA Spyder

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Your goal this season might be to not have any goals?  Just go with the flow and enjoy the hunt.

I understand the goal thing though.  I want to put at least one deer in the freezer before September 27th. I'll have 21 days to do it.

I would like to fill the buck tag before firearms season (this is a goal every year).

My biggest goal this year, and new one for me, is to experience a 1,000 pound bull moose at recurve range!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
My goals are pretty much the same every year;

1. Have fun with my friends (never a problem). Our shooting games at camp always make the trip worth the price of admission.

2. Never push a shot on game, even hogs.

3. Make every effort to find my game and anyone that I may be able to help with.

4. Team work is very important, even on the little jobs!!!

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
I have had the same goal for the last ten years, to get another deer.  Seeing as how I live in NE IL the hunting can be pretty hard around here.  Especially limited to public land.

Anyway, I'm tired of buying meat from the store.  My wife, and daughter sometimes, went vegetarian on me so my son and I are the only ones eating the meat.

My goal is to kill for enough meat to last us through a year.  Also need to supliment with fish though the ice.  Gonna be a busy season...

You'll find a goal.  Even if it is getting out and seeing another sunrise, sunset, being grateful to be "out there".

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
There is another side to hunting.  Smelling the roses.  I have found that being goal driven often gets in the way of having the most fun.

Try a season of being as laid back as you can.  Sure, get up early etc., but try to not worry about killing ten deer, or even one.  If one comes by that draws your attention, shoot it, but if not, let it walk for no other reason than it made you smile.  And try to smile.  Look at the leaves, the flowers, smell the air.  Watch the skwerls. .  well, be skwerls.  
ChuckC

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Sometimes my only goal is to make sure I enjoy all my time in the woods and not to get frustrated when things aren't going the way I planned.
Maybe that's not a big goal but it helps me to just relax and enjoy.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
The only technically oriented goal I had for this year is to develop consistent hunting accuracy to 25 yards. I'm a lot better but not fully confident at that range yet. The only other goal is to have fun, which has never been a problem. I kinda sorta had the hope of getting a food plot started. We cut wood on the property earlier this year, but weather and lack of money have slowed down the plan to clean up a spot and get it planted.
Sam

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!

After reading I think I have come up with my plan for the year. I'm going to...

* Go to more deer camps and sit around a fire and B.S. Maybe even fire up the smoker with a nice brisket or deer loin.

* Take my camera with me every time. I have got away from that a little in the last couple years.

* Do more canoe hunting trips.

* Stop and smell the roses. Well maybe honeysuckle or fresh persimmons would be more fitting.

* take my kids and wife out as much as possible. I usually take the boys out a few times but my wife has been so busy with school she hasen't bowhunted much.

I'm sure I will catch up with a deer or two along the way.    ;)
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
My goal is to enjoy my time out there in what God created for us.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
Great goals Rob
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Great goals, Rob! I didn't figure it'd take long before ya had some! Lol.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Having only hunted for the past four years, I have been donned the name 'Doeman'. My goal this year is to take a buck. I've almost always set some sort of hunting goal for myself, but last year I did not, and ended up killing two deer with my longbow for the season, one week apart. I hunted just as hard as I would have with setting goals, but definitely have more focus and determination with a goal in mind. Best of luck Rob.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©