3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any downside to a seriously heavy hunting shaft?  (Read 996 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Any downside to a seriously heavy hunting shaft?
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
I shoot a 49# @ 29" recurve that shoots .500 spine w/125 gr points for a total arow weight of 400 gr. like darts at a respectable 185 fps.  I've killed plenty of deer with this combo, but I always preferred a heavier hunting shaft and "just for giggles" got a Trad Only test kit to determine if I could shoot a full length .400 coupled with a heavier point.  After testing looked positive Big Jim gets in the GT heavy hunter 55/75 blems and I thought why not "go for broke".  I didn't realize how much heavier, longer and fatter these are than what I'm used to. They've got the 50 grain inserts and flight with 175 gr. points looks good, but like they're being lobbed.  I may even be able to go heavier on the point, but I'm at 680 gr. fletched total arrow weight now. I know there are a bunch of positives associated with heavy hunting arrows, but before I make this jump are there any negatives?  These are so slow that they're point-on at my normal kill distance of 15-20 yds., but that can be a plus in my mind...the deer won't care it died a fraction of a second late!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline skunkhound

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any downside to a seriously heavy hunting shaft?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
If you're really already point on at 15-20 yds, you're arrows are dropping fast, and I have to think they're loosing a lot of energy on the way.
 I like an arrow right around 10 gr. per lb.. It quiets the bow nicely, and allows me to get some decent weight up front. Your  current set up is a hair over 8, and the new set up is over 13. If it were me, I'd stick with the lighter arrow that's flying good, over the heavier one that's getting lobbed. 8 gr. per lb is at the low end, but still a safe and acceptable weight. The only reason I'd go up in weight, was if my bow was loud.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
I shoot up to 1500gr arrows.  With my longer draw allowing for a lot more speed at my arrow weight, I figure that I might as well use that extra speed to propel something that'll kill anything.

If my 1500 can work, I'm sure yours will be fine.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
The trajectory is a personal thing that only you can decide if you like or don't.In recent years I've shifted to 13-14 gpp arrows and like the results.My point on is 30 yds.I don't have to think about trajectory out to 20,point is 4" low at 25 and on at 30.It works for me but others may not be able to stand it.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
It's been my experience that even 600-700 grain arrows don't negatively affect trajectory nearly as much as you might think.  In my opinion, I will sacrifice a little trajectory for all the benefits of a heavy arrow.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
I would shoot a piece of rebar if I could.

Good work and good thought process. Roll with it and watch it pass through game like butter.

I'm sure there won't be any regrets

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
I love heavy arrows.  All my set ups are at least 12 gpp some are more.  I have a 32# bow super tuned with 450 grain arrows and just finished tuning a 42# bow with 650 grains of flying death.   :D    

I they are tuned and flying well, I'd say you stick with it a while and see if you like it long term.      :archer2:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, both pro and con.  "Lobbed" would admittedly be a bit of an exaggeration, but I shoot something close to "split vision" and I'm guessing the "gap" with my normal arrows @ 20 yds. is between 3 & 4 ft.(at the target). So it's a bit unusual when you can shoot point on at that range. It does make target acquisition quick, repeatable and you can adjust to a sight picture like that very easily...just ask any stringwalker.  I'll probably shoot into the next county when I switch back, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
The 500's are just a bit less weight per inch so with 125 grain broadheads you should lose about 50 to 60 grains...even if Big Jim does not have any 500 blems the Heavy Hunters often get sold by the half dozen which can be a lot of hunting-only arrows if used wisely...also if you talk to Big Jim he should be able to tell you if he has any 500 blems coming...you might also be able to find an aluminum insert that will fit and maybe lose anther 30 to 35 grains...all depends on what kind of trajectory you are willing live with...the great thing about the internet age is all that information is only a click away

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
I just checked Jim's website and it appears he has the 500's in stock...plus he is about the easiest guy in the world to talk to about arrow set up (or anything else)...give him a call, pm him or email him

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Shooting 700 grains off a 50# Caribow Slynx with great results.Quiet and drive it home.Killed a bull moose last year with this setup.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ForrestGator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:00 PM »
I think it comes down to what you like in trajectory, I prefer I nice balance always keeping penetration in mind. I shot a small bull elk last year with a 650 grain set up off a 62 pound bow, blew through no problem. Also shot a gobbler with the same set up this spring, same results

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Generally you will find a lot of advocates in this site of the heavy arrow. I would say your 400 grain arrow will give you the confidence you need if the need arises to make that 25 yard shot while the 680 grain arrow after the first 15 yards will start dropping like a brick. Also if you are participating in an occasional 3d shot the 400 grain arrow will save you the embarrassment in those longer shots. But again for many people in this site anything further than 15 yards is considered a blasphemy.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I've seen Richard shoot 3D. Usually I'm the one embarrassed. He does pretty good. Our friend Harry embarasses us both!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Of all the testing I have done 10to10.5gr per lb is the best between trajectory and penetration and in my test the heaver arrow did not out penetrate the 10gr per lb one. But it all boils down to what you like if you like it go for it. I shoot 517gr myself for everything.    Widow

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
I used to shoot 650 grain arrows out of a 59# cari-bow wolverine and I couldn't stand it any longer.  I love shooting far distances of 40-75 yards at the 3D shoots and the trajectory was not something I cared for.   I decided to drop back to 550 grain arrows which gave me noticeably better trajectory. I like to be around 10 gpi but that is simply my opinion. Good luck , SS

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
Sounds like you've had great success with your existing setup...why change?  

I typically shoot between 11 - 12 gpi.  That seems like a nice compromise between good mass, adequate trajectory & accuracy.  

I've never felt comfortable shooting "light" arrows (<9.0 gpi), it doesn't interest me and it does not extract as much 'available energy' from your limbs.  

Never increase arrow weight at the expense of non-perfect flight though.  Accuracy, arrow integrity and perfect arrow flight gets you about 99% there.

Kris

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
just like a bullet,a heavy arrow is deadly.

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
Well I just did the same thing, I went from 400 ish grain arrows to 560 grains and the arrow drop was just too much for me. I shot a 3D shoot today with the 560's and shot the worse I have ever shot before because the drop/yard estimation was just to much. 4 hours after the shoot I returned the heavy arrows and am back to the light ones, I cirtenly won't be killing any deer if I can't hit them....
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline ymountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I shoot 800 grain total arrow weight doug firs and 200gr ace super express. I shoot a 65pound Kodiak. The bow is quiet and the arrows hit hard. And they shoot better than Carbon shafts!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©