3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any downside to a seriously heavy hunting shaft?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any downside to a seriously heavy hunting shaft?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
One's own high confidence level should take priority.

Place the arrow on the mark and you should be golden.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by TradBrewSC:
I would shoot a piece of rebar if I could.

Good work and good thought process. Roll with it and watch it pass through game like butter.

I'm sure there won't be any regrets
Now that is funny I have never thought of shooting rebar. I have to agree with you though  I love heavy weight shafts."Rebar does come  in a  rusted camo pattern"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
A 40+% increase in arrow weight is a bit much.  Although your 8 gpp 400 gr setup is light by most trad bow standards the 680 is excessively heavy.  Try something in the 500-550 range and I think you will be very happy.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
I have been shooting 625-650 gn woodies for years out of my 50 @ 28 ACS. The set up has been perfect for all hogs and my one elk. Whatever gives you results and feels right go with that.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 05:15:00 PM »
Like so many have said, it is good to strike a balance in arrow weight and velocity to maintain an acceptable trajectory. The only downside I see is if the trajectory with an extremely heavy arrow is too poor to attain good accuracy at your hunting distances.
Sam

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Shooting 10 grains per pound and real happy with balance between trajectory and penetration.  60# at my draw 27.5, 600 grain arrow.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Mike,
Therin lies the rub.  If one wants to try EFOC arrows, which really wasn't what I was after, I don't know any easy way to get there except purposely select the lightest arrow you can find within your spine range and then cut it down to where it shows so stiff that you have to add excessive point weight, which I think most folks would consider 200-300 gr. (or more if using a heavy insert). I used to hate excess arrow length and now I prefer it hands down.  It hurts nothing(except prevents attaining EFOC stiffness)and has the added benefit of usually bringing the point-on difference into a reasonable 30-40 yds. that you may actually encounter a 3-D target at. I agree that 500-550 would be a good all-around hunting weight arrow, but there's no way I can get it in my .500's without cutting them to where I'd need 250+ gr. heads.  Everybody knows what a pain it is to pull those oversized tapered field points out of 3-D targets, so you're relegated to competition and hunting arrows with vastly different trajectories. One can purposely select the next stiffer spine and go from there, which was my intent, I just didn't realize how much heavier the GT HH's were. The standard weight .400's in my test kit flew fine full length with 175gr. heads, but I think this would have only gotten me in the  mid 400's total weight range.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Maybe a heavier quiver could be a downside?  Other than that.....  

I shoot around 540 off of a 53# bow and around 560 off of a 42# bow.  Seems backwards, but I tried different point weights with different arrows that I already had to try to keep from spending a lot of money, and these are the set ups that ended up shooting the best off of each.  If you get them flying straight with a sharp broadhead up front, gpp shouldn't be a major factor.  Not saying there's not advantages to heavy or light, just that a well placed shot will do the trick either way.  Exception might be extremely light arrows.

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
In the past we had a discussion here on this sight about arrow weight....
    It was pretty scientific, so bare with me.
It was about diminishing returns, something about up to a certin weight the arrow absorbs more energy from the bow for optimal, flight , penetration etc....And then at some point, that energy will diminish, you have to find that sweet spot....
    I'm pretty sure I screwd up what was really explained, hope I get the point across, Pun intended....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Oh I forgot to say that I like the old 10 per pounds, and I use the same arrow for Hunting or 3D....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Lob it in there, you can get it over a lot of stuff that way for us ground hunters   :thumbsup:

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »

"so you're relegated to competition and hunting arrows with vastly different trajectories"  olddogrib  

Well this is true but as you know, they don't have to be "vastly different" trajectories.  Either way...are you hunting or shooting for competition? As Wignut said, "a 40% increase in arrow weight is rather steep" or to that affect.  

It sounds like you are trying to use a "heavier hunting arrow" for the sake of it?  

As I posted initially..."why change?"  Your lighter arrows are adequate for your hunting applications and provide flat trajectory & accuracy for your competition.

Kris

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Too true, I only hunt with my setup and my draw length helps mitigate some of the slowness.  But my bow doesn't act right without some weight to the shaft.  With my arrows being 38", they simply weigh more by virtue of extra length.  It works for me, dunno how it would work for anyone else.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by halfseminole:
Too true, I only hunt with my setup and my draw length helps mitigate some of the slowness.  But my bow doesn't act right without some weight to the shaft.  With my arrows being 38", they simply weigh more by virtue of extra length.  It works for me, dunno how it would work for anyone else.
38"......   :scared:
Holy cow! Are you a giant? Or do you just like long arrows? What kind are they!? WOWZERS!!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
My draw is 36-38" and I shoot a prototype Manchu type takedown 43# @ 28".  I'm looking at a place that can make 38" plus arrows precision bored for bone nocks and tanged heads.  My draw is due to a genetic deformity brought on by Marfan syndrome, my arm span is 7' 4" thanks to it.  Most of my shooting is done from a chair these days due to progressing issues from that, but I just treat it like my old horses and it works.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
9.5-10 GPP for me at my 26" draw - 46-49# draw weights.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Would suspect Victory VForce HV 350's would serve you well.

Example: The following set-up's dynamic spine virtually duplicates the dynamic spine of your 680 gn set-up.

Victory VForce HV350 at 30 3/4"....300 gn tip...std insert... would yield ~542 grains...27% EFOC

Many other opportunities with these shafts.
...was quite successful this spring in harvesting an animial over 500#s in utilizing 50# at my draw...an HV350...50 gn insert...300 gn 3 blade BH...563 gn total...30% Ultra EFOC

Also have had some of my best 3D scores shooting a 51#....HV350...400 up front...611 gn total...32% Ultra EFOC...too tough on targets to personally justify...did harvest a doe of which had full length penetration.

Best of luck!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
I'm a rookie. What does "point on" mean?

Thanks,

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
MAW,
It is that distance at which you can simply place the tip of the arrow on the spot you want to hit and drill it....just like having a sight pin.  Way past hunting ranges for most normal weight arrows and anchor points, but when you hunt thick stuff, know the trail/distance the deer will be and have a "point-on" at that distance, I would have to consider that an advantage.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
MAW,
It is that distance at which you can simply place the tip of the arrow on the spot you want to hit and drill it....just like having a sight pin.  Way past hunting ranges for most normal weight arrows and anchor points, but when you hunt thick stuff, know the trail/distance the deer will be and have a "point-on" at that distance, I would have to consider that an advantage.
There are alot of ways to lower your POD if you want to though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©