3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting a new DVD and looking for feedback  (Read 545 times)

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Starting a new DVD and looking for feedback
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Well it's almost time to get out there and start chasing velvet mule deer around again. This time, Ryan Sanpei is going to be flying out from Hawaii to join me in Nevada to do some filming. We are thinking about making the next mule deer DVD more of a "How to". I'd love to hear feedback on what you guys would like to hear about. Also, if you saw the Stalkers in the Backcountry DVD, what you like from it and what you'd like to see done differently. We are both really excited to kick this project off and want to raise the bar on the next production. Thanks in advance for your constructive comments.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting a new DVD and looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Last one was good.......this one will be better I'm sure. Maybe you can even let Ryan hunt for a few minutes...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
I have not seen your Backcountry DVD, and maybe this was covered in that DVD, but I would like to see:
Gear lists: pack, clothing,boots etc
Bow/arrow/broadhead specs.
Food list

Plus GPS coordinates of hunting locale...HA HA HA!!

chris <><

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I really liked the backcountry DVD.  I wouldn't mind hearing some of your ideas on scouting.  What you are looking for on topos when looking for starting points or new areas.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Onions, you missed my seminar at Compton's. One of the astute participants told me after the show that my Google Earth slide showed the GPS coordinates on it. LOL, hope no one brought a note pad! We'll definitely be diving into the stuff you and meathead suggested.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Oh, and with any luck, Ryan will be chasing mulies as well, in front of the camera!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
How about bow and arrow specs, and how you prefer to tune and practice for that type of hunting? Also what kind of training (if any), that you do to prepare?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Everything listed so far. Gear is definitely a big one what you need what you don't need.

Also scouting, tactics, finding good areas, choosing states to hunt, choosing units to hunt.

For me as an eastern hunter the scariest thing is driving across the country for a solo bivy hunt into an area I've never been before and finding out there are no deer there. Tips for guys like me who can't do much or no preseason scouting would be really helpful.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Definitely describe why a tradbow has a soul and is so much more rewarding AND why it matters. You can get gear lists almost anywhere but you can't get tradbow respect just any old place. You build em' so show em' off a bit! Thanks.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
How about a DVD on some archery "hunt" that you normally don't see.  I don't have an example, but a fun hunt that is just different   and   maybe gives the rest of us ideas on another game to pursue.

As above, more emphasis on getting ready and how to go about planning a hunt might be fun.  I like the idea of toning it down cause frankly, most are NOT gonna become marathon runners in order to hunt an elk, and you don't need to be.
ChuckC

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
South, could you add some elk hunting to the video?  Or better yet, could you put together an elk hunting video?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Interseptor, I'm heading into CO with an elk tag this year. With any luck....

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Did not see your latest yet, but loved glory hog 2.  Trailer for new one looks really good.

Show stuff and explain what your doing, but don't tell people how to, most that watch already know and are watching for enjoyment, to see different country and animals, and maybe to learn a few new tricks or how it is done somewhere else.

I like to see how people prepare, (workout, pack, practice, equipment types and lists and why they use what they use, type / technique of hunting they are planning to use and how it works in different areas of North America.

Would be cool to see you build and use a bow as part of the experience.

But don't forget the hunting, this includes setting camp, the hikes, spotting and stalking and the failed and successful stalks and shots.

good luck, looking forward to seeing what you did.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
South,
  Bought and loved your first, particularly because western mulies are a bucket list hunt for me. Like Scott, I would be a little apprehensive about trying such a hunt DIY but 'nothing ventured, nothing won'! A mix of 'how to' and hunts would be a winner. Keep up the good work.
          Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
South, technique help and what you did with your previous one is plenty! Looking forward to it!
Mike Davenport

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
South, I like to see the human aspects of the hunt, to give it some humanity and depth.  For example, horsing around in camp, cooking dinner, stump-shooting, figuring out how to pack all the meat in the pack, etc.  

I love Steve Gorr's (Cascade Archery) videos because I enjoy experiencing the trip at large, and the hunt as a whole, as well as the stalks and the shots at game.  

I'm going to send you a PM as well.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I should also add that I really liked your video though!  I have no real criticism of it!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Mabey let your camera man shoot at a muley, because we both know trying for elk was iffy for me at best  ;)  Good luck this fall!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
After I watched the 'Stalkers in the Backcountry' DVD, I mentally noted that I would have liked more information on the bow, arrows, and broadhead used.
The bow was mentioned after 1 stalk, but I'd like to hear more details, as was already mentioned.

Thanks for the chance to have some input !
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Maybe some scenery and Poetry of other things that make the hunt complete.

I always enjoy a little grouse hunting fun.  I have yet to see your latest video but I am sure from the trailers it is a  must watch.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©