3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm going after the beast....  (Read 722 times)

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm going after the beast....
« on: September 24, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
bushy tails!!!  :scared:  
any tips,training methods,ect.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm going after the beast....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
My number one recommendation is to get in shape.  Do the stairs at the local high school with a 50-60 pound pack on.  A 65# plus modern recurve with 2 blade heads that are razor sharp with heavy arrows.  Practice long shots so the short ones are easy.  Stay mobile and learn to call 'em.  Several good DVDs are available. I like to run-n-gun.  Squirrels are tough.  Learn to blood trail.  My first took a 190 Ribtek through the vitals and still went 30 yards into a brushpile.  I was glad of my conditioning.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
i'll take your advise and use it,if i get one i'll try to post it on here.i'll watch my back.my bows only 50#  :scared:  .
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Carry a hatchet!!! Hand to hand combat is inevitable.
Oh, and maybe some of those snake chaps thingy's.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:28:00 PM »
Shoot em in the head  :readit:    ;)   LOL In all seriousness I would use old broadheads as I have seen em take a thumpin from a Judo or Hexhead and hit the ground and get up and climb another tree not to be seen. Just ask UK Bowman how reliable a heart shot is with a hexhead.   :p
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
the other day I thumped one with a judo, and he went right down. but I normally use hex blunts. I have had one not even be phased by a judo before.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
thank you i almost forgot my trusty hatchet  :)

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »
If squirrels weighed 200#, we wouldn't dare to go into the woods!!!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
MOST DEFINITELY do not go alone! You WILL need a backup gun! Those things will charge you and gore you like that! Be sure to take someone who is a good shot, with a good high-powered rifle. 2blade Modified Grizzly heads and arrows of at least 850gr. will be required. 80+ pound bow, for sure. BE CAREFUL! I hate to see guys go after them bushy tails and get mauled beyond recognition. The state laws really should require a guide w/ backup gun for these things! Ferocious.
Seriously though, I'm a fan of ACE Hex blunts.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 02:20:00 AM »
If squirrels weighed 200#, we wouldn't dare to go into the woods!!!

That ain't no joke!

Squirrels are like the old Timex catch phrase they can "take a lickin and keep on tickin" I learned from experience to use dubbed broadheads or regular broadheads on em. The old bodkins with about half of an inch cut off the tip worked great(and were a dime a dozen twenty five years ago). Some of the new heads look like they would work pretty good too. Like the hex blunts, magnus blunts, or the sgh heads by G5.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
and remember.... they have friends. Watch your back!!!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
Get some poison Dart Frog poison...Really helps slow them down especially when they pull the arrow out with their teeth.. I get it from.

Octumbu";Poplip/toungsmack
6 million .5 th. tree on the left of the 5.56 hundred thousanth.
deep rainforest, Brazil.

:biglaugh:

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
even If they only weighed 50# I'd want backup....

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I hit a big fox squirrel one time right on the point of the shoulder. He was facing me. I was shooting a 75lb selfbow with .38 casing tips that had little cutter blades slotted in them.

The flippin' arrow bounced OFF!!!!!!!!! I kid you not.
Knocked him off the limb but didn't slow him down any.
Glad he didn't take it personal and come after me!   :eek:

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I hit one last weekend with a Hex head from a 57# bow at around 15-20 yrds and knocked him off the side of the tree. He ran up another tree never to be seen again! Next time I am taking some old Ribteks as they are cheap.

Bloody Skwerls!!!

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
gulp,is it legal to own a 50. caliber in alabama???if so i might need to look into that.  :help:

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
I shot one with a snuffer in the head exposing brains.  He ran up the tree and sat beside me 10 feet away at 25 feet up in the air and wiped his face staring at me in anger.  It was a bit disconcerting... and I didn't want to shoot that high in the tree and lose my arrow... I thought surely he would die soon, but he eventually ran away to a brush pile... but he certainly wasn't acting right.

The next evening my brother hunts the area and finds a crazed squirrel with half a face sprinting in a 3 foot circle at full speed.  He walks right up to him, examines the odd behavior, and arrows him at point blank range, this time through the body with a Muzzy.  He places him in an old washtub in the back of the truck when he finishes the evening hunt and drives home 10 miles.

When he arrives, the squirrel is running circles around the tub with the arrow still sticking out... and still half a face and brains exposed.

They get the arrow out and try to squash him to finish him off... but he continues to fight.
At this point its pretty scary so they just turn the demon squirrel loose to the neighborhood.

Probably went on to beat up a few local dogs I suspect.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
All kidding aside when I was a kid my older brother shot one 4 times with a 12 ga. before the thing bit it...Monsters I tell ya!!

Offline matt matney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
WEAR A HARD HAT!!!!
I did have on drop a pine cone on my head.  It hurt!!!!!!!

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
Maybe I will move up to 190Gr. Grizzly El Grande!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©