3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tophat screw in adapters for woodies  (Read 459 times)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
Tophat screw in adapters for woodies
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Has anyone tried these adaptors that accept screw in points and heads?  They seem to screw onto the wooden shaft but I don't know how that is quite done.  Anyone have any experience with them?  They do look interesting!

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=0932X
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tophat screw in adapters for woodies
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
i havnt messed with them but im sure they glue on to your tapered wood shaft and are threaded on the other end. they would add weight and weaken a shaft quite a bit being so long.
Kevin Day

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
No, according to the  ads, they are actually threaded to screw onto the shaft. I've never messed with them, either, but they look interesting.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
I am surprised that no one has tried these.  They really would be convenient for arrow tuning as you could screw different point weights into this adapter after screwing it onto the untapered end of the shaft.

Well, I will be the guinea pig and order a half dozen of them to see how well they attach and center on the wooden shaft and report back.

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Interesting idea.  I am intrigued.  My initial thought was around the fact I could see myself with a wobbly arrow after attempting to screw the adapter on to wood...this was answered with the below from the listing at 3R.  Let us know how it goes Doug.  I am intrigued but I haven't yet hit the hurdle to where I'd buy the various recommended tools....I must admit I would've had a lower "entry hurdle" on this if they glued on vs. screw on the wood shaft.  Glue-on would've been easier to get true on the shaft (IMHO) and allow for more flexibility in arrow length if you end up not liking them and want to remove them.  

"Please note: It is recommended that you buy the TopHat® Thread Cutting Tool, TopHat® Shaft Shaper, and TopHat® Assembly Tool to use with these adapters.
The TopHat® Thread Cutting Tool is for starting a thread onto the shaft to make it easier to install screw on points. The TopHat® Shaft Shaper is for compressing down an oversized shaft so the finish will not be marred when installing points, and to allow the points to go on easier. The TopHat® Assembly Tool is for gripping the adapter, the Thread Cutting Tool and The Shaft Shaper without marring them for easy tightening and removal of TopHat® points and adapters."
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
I have not used these but have used the old originals that you  merely glued to a tapered shaft.  They worked and still work fine. Seems like these would too but with all the recommended attachments would be more of a money maker for the manufacturer and unnecessary additional work.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
If you use the tool that compresses and cuts threading into the shaft they line up pretty good. It also works like a footing to protect the shoulder of the shaft. I've used them a little with surprisingly good success.  I just like making arrows the usual way.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
Hi!
I've used them for several years!
With these adapters I can use hunting arrows with fieldtips and change weights before I tune in the broadheads :)
They are screw in adapters and they come with a shaping tool for the arrows to fit the adapter.
Highly recommendable product.
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Hmmmmm!!

Interesting.

For those of you have used them I have a question.

I have a couple of lighter wt bows that don't handle the majority of my arrows. I

Do you think with these added onto some of my arrows they would soften up the spine enough that they'd fly better out of my lower poundage bows?

God bless,Mudd

PS: Thank you!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Bear sold their version of an adapter in the 1960's. Interesting idea.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:00 PM »
I have not used these adapter, but I have used their screw in points.  You do not have to taper the arrows at all. You simply screw in and they cut a little thread into the end of the wood. As they do this, they self centre.  No glue needed.

I had a feeling that they broke more easily than the shaft which had tapered points.  To me this makes sense as on impact the force it applied to the face of the straight arrow.  With the tapered arrow the force is redirected and over a much larger area of the taper rather than simply the face.  HOWEVER, this is only a feeling, since the arrows I tried these new points on were not my usual cedar and so it could have simply been the different wood instead.

Hope that helps.  

Lastly, they are a little stiff to get on... Simply grip with some pliears and rotate slowly and a little back and forth.

ALex

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Great heads that you can buy different weight heads for and use till you fing the best set up.
Mudd that would work for you and your lighter bows.
I use them on my arrows as I can have field points, blunts or broadheads on them and change them over depending on what I am shooting at.
I have found that I get less breaks with these heads on my shafts as they are on the full wood and have a firmer base.

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Just ordered a couple of dozen new cedar shafts and some of these adapters and a half dozen screw on points.  Should be here by the weekend.  Will report with pics.

Doug

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
I will take  pic tmrw, so people can see the thread it cuts into the shaft...

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
They came in today and installing them is as easy as it gets.  I can see no need for that special little $30 tool that they recommend.

As you can see you start with an untapered shaft end and apply the thread cutting tool which cuts the threads into the shaft.

This is done first with just the fingers turning the cylinder like cutter clockwise as far as you can and then......

Apply some type of plyers or gripping tool to continue to rotate the cylinder clockwise on the shaft until it comes to a stop. Then just remove the cutting cylinder by turning counter clockwise.

Now after you have cut the threads onto the wooden shaft you can insert either the threaded field point.....

which screws on very easily and is very sturdy or you can screw on the adapter and screw-in field points into the adapter.

Can't remember doing anything any easier.  I will shoot them tomorrow as it got a little late to prepare some arrows for shooting.  I think I am going to like these Tophat adapters.

Doug

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
They are great.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Can these be used to drop the arrow's spine?
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Mudd, I read somewhere that they only lengthen the shaft by 1/2" or so. Of course, you can add point weight to accomplish the same thing, by just screwing in the heavier points.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©