3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: travelling/packing for elk hunt?  (Read 594 times)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
travelling/packing for elk hunt?
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Hello, I am travelling from NY to CO for an elk hunt in Sept. Any advice or tips as far as packing and travelling (we are flying). Does anyone ship out gear (bows arrows optics etc) or clothing ahead of time? I am a notoriously bad packer and always pack too much or too little. Thanks

Mike

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: travelling/packing for elk hunt?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Mike, I assume you have a person to ship to. My brother and I have  shipped to my son in CO a number of times in the past. The black foot lockers from Wally world work pretty good. I found one that is just under the required airline size. You can ship USPS up to about 70 lbs, which ends up a little cheaper than flying with the extra weight..I usually just bring a lite carry on and check my bow gear along with what ever else I can fit.. It's a little bit of a pain with TSA but your gear gets hand carried because it's a  firearm ( I take a pistol along).Check with the airline first. Haven't lost anything yet and it does make transfers a bit easier. Most everything you need can go into one of those containers. It forces you to pack lite. Most of the time our containers got there in less than a week.Can't remember if we went with priority or not. Good luck, Jim

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Hey Mike, if Im flying I will ship a lot of stuff out ahead of time to my buddys house.  Im driving this year, so I will take it with me.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
What part of Colorado are you hunting this year?

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I believe it's outside of Eagle, CO.  flat tops wilderness with winterhawk outfitters

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
The 2 times I went to Colorado I shipped my bows, arrows and loaded back pack out USPS 2 weeks before I was to leave. Both times everything was waiting for me when I got there. I've heard too many stories of airlines loosing bow, etc and the trips were ruined by it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
Bags declared as "hockey equipment" ship free under your ticket on some airlines. But the bags must at least appear to be of the size and shape required to hold hockey pads and sticks.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I like to stick a firearm in one checked bag and the ammo or magazines in another.  That way I declare both as containing guns or gun parts, and they have to be hand-checked by TSA with me present.  I check my TD bow and arrows in a Pelican case, with a pistol mag in it, and they check it and lock it up for the duration of the trip.

I lived in Alaska for 20 years and had to fly a lot.  I don't remember having any bags lost by the airlines, although I know it happens.  I always fly with my bow, arrows, and other gear.  I would consider shipping it out beforehand if an expensive trip could be ruined by having bags lost by the airlines.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Bags lost are less likely to ruin your trip.  The most likely scenario when flying with gear is damages caused by baggage handlers.  They are worse than gorillas and marking them as fragile seems to encourage them to try and damage things.  Do yourself a big favor and ship your stuff out well ahead of time.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
Mike are you renting a car or is the the outfitter picking you up? If I had the choice. Ship direct to the outfitter who can accept your things. Especially you're little comforts of ( I might want this or that)  then you can travel with next to nothing. If the plane misplaces your stuff.  Expect a minimum day of lost time. It won't be cheap. But at least you have the security in knowing it's here.
PS you'll need a LOT LESS gear than you'd think. The outfitter should be able to supply you with bulky items. Like food. Cookware stoves knives game bags etc.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm able to get my takedown bow and arrows in a takedown shotgun case. I cut some of the foam out to make room for the arrows. I haven't had an issue yet.
I also have a son that lives in Colorado, so I can keep my packframe out there with some other gear that I shipped out ahead of time. If you could ship some gear to your outfitter, it would make life easier when it comes time to fly.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. we are planning on getting out there a day or two early,  renting a car in Denver and driving the rest of the way. im leaning towards shipping directly to the outfitter and just traveling with a carry on but always nervous shipping stuff.  had some bad experiences lately with the PO

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I ship out a backup bow, extra boots, heavier clothing items, etc. ahead of time. I have a large Cabela's duffel that will have an arrow tube in bottom, takedown bow and clothes. I also pack my knives, pistol, etc in this and then everything else will be in my backpack as a carry on. If your planning on doing this more than once I would recommend one of the Rubbermaid toughneck containers, as they are really tuff and lockable. Caution: it will probably run you about $80 to ship UPS. but if you can get it all in a cardboard box it will be much cheaper. UPS doesn't like containers for some reason

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Somewhere here on TG there was a post/thread by an airline employee.  He HIGHLY encouraged us to get/travel-with those nice hard golf club flight luggage/carriers.  They were perfect for bows and gear and as mentioned, made it through the entire flying/TSA process etc. much better.

My 2C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
SKB hard golf case works great.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
If I'm flying I ship ahead.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
Don't overpack! I have made several trips o/o Boston to Denver on Southwest air for Sept. elk hunts. I have used a BPS 32"x15"x15" duffle or a Cabelas 30"x16" rolling duffle and have packed all my hunting gear, backpack, sleeping gear, small tent,etc. TD bow and a tube of 8 arrows and kept under 50#. We also carried a 60qt rolling 5-day cooler that contained our comfortable forest base camp gear and have kept under 45#. We rent a SUV in Denver drive west, shop for food and setup a WRNF end of road DIY camp.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I see you have an outfitter.  Last fall we MAILED a lot of gear ahead of time in those plastic tubs they sell at walmart.  Make sure it is not oversize for the mails.  Drill a series of holes through the cover and throug the top edge of the of the tub and fasten with zip ties.  do it so the connection on the ties is on the underside.

Mail was the cheapest way to do it for us.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses and info. Seems like most people ship their stuff. How does it work out for you guys in reverse? Any issues with getting  your stuff shipped back? My outfitter is pretty remote and not quite sure where the nearest PO, UPS place is.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
The nearest larger UPS and Post office is in Glenwood Springs. Why ship gear, SWA has two free checked bags and a carry on. The only time we ship is our gear bags home UPS ground and bring coolers/containers of elk meat home on the jet. Several trips no problems.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©