3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I would like to weaken my arrows  (Read 343 times)

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
I would like to weaken my arrows
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
A little by changing my bow. Could I change my brace height   longer or shorter or move my arrow center shot in or out to weaken my arrows a little don't need much.
Thanks
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I would like to weaken my arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Raise brace height

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Too stiff?  yes, raise brace height would maybe work.  Or add weight to point end...or move center shot in.
Lon Scott

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
Add more weight to the front.  Easier for me.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
I am not a tinkerer, but sometimes I wish I were. If a small tweak is needed, I increase point weight or raise the brace height a little. If those don't work, I try other shafts.
Sam

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
You could also lengthen the shaft a little with Reparrows.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
With regard to your arrow you can lengthen the shaft or go to a heavier tip.  (already mentioned)

With regard to the bow.....Slide your bow string silencers up towards the tips a bit or cut them down a bit by trimming with scissors.  This will reduce the weight of the string and weaken the shaft.  You can also reduce the length of the serving on your bow string, again making the string a bit lighter. You could also move your rest contact point on your riser a touch forward. Also mentioned, increase your brace height slightly.

These may seem trivial but doing one or a combination of all will give you the result you are looking for.       :thumbsup:

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Add a little more point weight is the best way as mentioned above.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
What Tim says, plus thin you strike plate if you can.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Tim beat me to the string adjusting tips. Also, depending on how much string silencer material you have, trimming it back will also increase performance a tad which will weaken your arrows.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
wait a minute to weaken the spine of an arrow don't you lower the brace height, which can also sometimes add sensitivity and make the bow louder especially recurves.
"Us vs Them"

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
What Tajue17 said. And Black Widow.  They say lowering the brace a little will allow a weaker spine to fly better.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I guess there are conflicting opinions on brace height.  My BWs shot a weaker spine arrow better with a shorter brace and stiffer arrows flew better with a longer brace.  Adjust it up and down a little and see what helps.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
wait a minute to weaken the spine of an arrow don't you lower the brace height, which can also sometimes add sensitivity and make the bow louder especially recurves.
No.  It seems backwards at first, but if you think about it it makes sense.  The closer the string is to the riser, the steeper the angle between the centerline of the string and the riser.  At a brace height of 1", your arrow will be pointing way left (for a RH shooter).  Your arrows would need to bend a ton to get around the riser.  Raise brace height, lower angle, arrow points more toward target, and "appears" to have weaker spine (impact point moves to the right).

Lowering brace height should increase speed and you would think make an arrow look weaker, but if the arrow can't get around the riser it'll shoot way left.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
If your right handed and your arrows are shooting to center and you raise your BH you will be hitting to the right of center.

If you lower your BH you will be shooting to the left.

I would buy new arrows or add more weight to the tip.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
hmm I never thought about the arrow angle while on the shelf.
"Us vs Them"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
By raising or lowering your brace height above or below the bowyers or manufacturers recommended brace is going to effect the all around performance of the bow.... better to tune your arrows and play with strike plate thickness over messing with brace height too much..... food for thought...

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
yesterday I got to test out my new to me morningstar and found my 45-50 arrows where kicking left right out of the gate when shot showing a weak spine.

the bow should be about 53# @ my draw and 45/50's are usually pretty matched to the hill style bows, so like Kirk mentioned above I removed the thick 1/8" leather side plate and tried the bow at its max brace height with no sideplate at all this time and the arrows now looked pretty darn good with no noticable kick at release,,the real test would be the final test with a wide two blade broadhead.

I think with all my tuning I'll start 1st by taking the plates right off and go from there on the bare shelf maybe blue masking tape to cover the finish,, I always tuned to the exisiting strike plates but I think removing them (only if they are thick) moves the process  along a lot faster.    

I guess this would be for people real serious with tuning and might be on the extreme side but point is the side plate and changing the center shot is a bigger deal than i thought.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©