3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: securing tree stand  (Read 326 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
securing tree stand
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
SO,what do some of you pros use to secure your tree stand...thanks

Offline culleng

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: securing tree stand
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
I'm not a pro but I have had good luck with ratchet straps. I use one at the top and bottom if it's a hang on. This makes them rock solid. I change the straps about every 2 years or so. I check them  every season before I put them out. Changing the straps are a lot cheaper than an ER visit or worse.
God and family.
58" Centaur 51# @ 28

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
thanks for the info culleng..BUT,maybe i should have stated that i dont want it to get stolen..i am thinking a chain BUT i was all so wondering if a cable would work to..thanks john

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I use a wrap around cable lock ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Secure to the trees using ratchet strap, easy and quick

for security of the stand, I use bike locks.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
I use one-inch link chain and a  lock.  That prevents the casual opportunist from stealing it.  Folks who really want it will come back with a bolt cutter though.  I try to go in a long way and camouflage my stand as best I can.  Most thieves are too lazy to walk very far.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
cable locks work great. even bolt cutters have a hard time chewing thru the strands of cable.
 I have had a few stands stolen but now that i leave the stands in the tree and take down the sticks they look up and see the stand and the cable and realize everything invloved in stealing a 35 dollar stand isnt worth it.
I dont leave my lone wolf stands up unless i will be back in the morning to hunt it. but my cheap stands i leave cable locked all season.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
Hi John. I hunted out of primarily portable stands when I hunted with a compound. I'll give you my thoughts since I lost a few stands along the way. I hunt what I would describe as a high traffic area. Lots of eyes wondering through. For me it was important to securely hang the stand and I considered this separate from the security. I hated the noise a chain made so I went with strap type attachments.
To keep the stands safe I tried many different things. Cable with master locks, chain, plastic coated cable... to be honest, in my opinion all you can really do is prevent someone from seeing your stand and taking it then, in that one trip. Almost anything you lock it with is easily cut by a dishonest person returning with bolt cutters. It would need to be a big, hardened, heavy chain. If you want this look at bicycle security chains, they are the real deal. My answer was to carry one stand in and out every time I hunted. If you decide to leave a stand out most thieves are lazy. Lock it with something, plastic coated cable is easy. Takeing out the tree steps helps.
frustrating topic, can't believe I wrote so much! Lol Good luck...    :deadhorse:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
What about us amateurs?
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 04:55:00 AM »
bicycle lock, works good and not expensive
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:00 AM »
bicycle lock, works good and not expensive
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Had a stand stolen once and short of beating the thief with a sock filled with a bar of soap there's nothing can be done...and it was on private ground. As far as security all my stands have ratchet straps top and bottom, like said above rock solid. Really like my Millenium hang ons with the new ratchet receiver. Good luck.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
In high risk areas I use a climber. However I bought these tree stand cables that look like big bicycle locks. I also use less expensive or older stands in those areas. Haven't really had a problem.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I had 2 hang on stands with stick poles going up to them hung within 200 yards of each other. One was stolen and the other one just had the poles taken down and scattered around in the brush. When going up to get the stand down I noticed the strap had been cut through about 3/4's of the way. Never could figure out the reasoning of that. If they wanted you to fall then they should have left the stickpoles up. Why steal one and not the other? Go figure a sicko's thinking.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Lock and chain. Just remember that locks only keep honest people honest, if someone really wants to steal it they will...
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Ur right 2bird!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
I use ratchet straps. Chain and bicycle locks are easily defeated by a hacksaw. If thievery is likely, it is best not to leave the stands out. 2bird is exactly right, only honest people pay attention to locks.

As far as hitman's situation is concerned, somebody was setting a trap for you. They intended to hurt you, and had no consideration for your life.

I own a small plot of land, yet I still had a lock on stand lifted. Unfortunately, in our present society, it does not pay to trust strangers at all.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
I use ratchet straps, top and bottom. My favorite set-ups are in forked or 3-stemmed trees.

When I get this set-up (Eastern Red Cedar great) I even ratchet strap the front edge to an opposite fork. Makes for a very sturdy stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©